The place for all things wine, focused on serious wine discussions.

I couldn’t Carignan less

Moderators: Jenise, Robin Garr, David M. Bueker

no avatar
User

David M. Bueker

Rank

Childless Cat Dad

Posts

37053

Joined

Thu Mar 23, 2006 11:52 am

Location

Connecticut

I couldn’t Carignan less

by David M. Bueker » Tue Sep 22, 2026 7:07 pm

Had a bottle of varietal Carignan tonight from a favorite producer. It wasn’t bad. I just couldn’t find anything that made me want to go back to it. Thinking about it, I haven’t had a bottle of Carignan that “grabbed” me in ages. I have no issue with it as a blending grape in Rhône/Rhône-styled wines or as a component in Zinfandel blends, but it just doesn’t work for me as a stand-alone grape.

What am I missing? Carignan seems to be on the upswing at least in California.
Decisions are made by those who show up
no avatar
User

Mark Lipton

Rank

Oenochemist

Posts

4912

Joined

Wed Mar 22, 2006 1:18 pm

Location

Indiana

Re: I couldn’t Carignan less

by Mark Lipton » Wed Sep 23, 2026 12:06 pm

David M. Bueker wrote:Had a bottle of varietal Carignan tonight from a favorite producer. It wasn’t bad. I just couldn’t find anything that made me want to go back to it. Thinking about it, I haven’t had a bottle of Carignan that “grabbed” me in ages. I have no issue with it as a blending grape in Rhône/Rhône-styled wines or as a component in Zinfandel blends, but it just doesn’t work for me as a stand-alone grape.

What am I missing? Carignan seems to be on the upswing at least in California.


It may be that it does better in hotter climates so is being planted in response to climate change. Just a thought...
no avatar
User

Tim York

Rank

Wine guru

Posts

5004

Joined

Tue May 09, 2006 2:48 pm

Location

near Lisieux, France

Re: I couldn’t Carignan less

by Tim York » Wed Sep 23, 2026 12:22 pm

Wines which are 100% Carignan are quite rare in Europe. Even the well known and excellent Carignano del Sulcis from Sardinia has a minimum Carignan content of 85% with other varieties allowed in a blend. I believe the the only 100% Carignan wine which I have had since I have been using CT is Domaine d'Aupilhac's Cuvée Carignan 2013 from the Montpeyroux area of Languedoc. I thought this an excellent and complex wine and would certainly buy it again if I were to see it in a store. It is not entitled to the Montpeyroux appellation because of its mono-varietal content, only to Vin de France! I have never had a disappointing wine from Aupilhac, which IMO is one of the best estates in Languedoc.
Tim York
no avatar
User

TomHill

Rank

Here From the Very Start

Posts

8477

Joined

Wed Mar 29, 2006 12:01 pm

Yup...

by TomHill » Wed Sep 23, 2026 12:56 pm

Yup, David... pretty much agree w/ you. I, too, rarely find a Carignane that excites me. Even from our favorite producers. They tend to be rather earthy/rustic/coarse/grapey in character and not much in high-toned character like Zin. I occasionally find one w/ some dusty/old-vine character that are interesting, but that's about it. Hard to make a silk-purse out of a sow's ear... or Carignane.
Interesting that I don't find that same character in AlicanteBouschet.
Tom
no avatar
User

Dale Williams

Rank

Compassionate Connoisseur

Posts

12439

Joined

Tue Mar 21, 2006 4:32 pm

Location

Dobbs Ferry, NY (NYC metro)

Re: I couldn’t Carignan less

by Dale Williams » Wed Sep 23, 2026 4:33 pm

My local local non serious group once did a Carignan tasting, rough night (not as bad as "Spain south of Madrid).
There was a good Minervois from 100 year old vines, and a decent CA from Maitre de Chai. But good not great., But I have seldom given so many Cs. To be fair, these are non-geeks searching out hard to find category.
I used to buy the Ch. d'Oupia Les Heretiques where I think Carignan is the base grape, but not in years. At least used to be a good value, but think I recently had the Ch d'Oupia Minervois and global warming has caught up with it.
no avatar
User

Jenise

Rank

FLDG Dishwasher

Posts

46551

Joined

Tue Mar 21, 2006 2:45 pm

Location

The Pacific Northest Westest

Re: I couldn’t Carignan less

by Jenise » Thu Sep 24, 2026 3:31 pm

So I checked my sparse CT entries on this grape. A '13 Spanish old vine priorat called Hammeken was terrific in 2025. A '16 Neyers Evangelho was also great a few years prior, though indistinguishable to my palate from grenache (which I love, many don't). And one from Chile along the way also made a case for this as a stand-alone grape. Among those notes, however, was a rather amusing one about a Wisconsin carignan that I drug home from a weekender to Milwaukee. It was thin, screechy and terrible, purchased from a small grocer who had a surprising number from different producers which would seem to indicate local popularity, though the bottle I bought offered no qualitative justification.

Was yours an Extradimensional? I have one of theirs in my cellar. Also Evangelho, which you'd know.
My wine shopping and I have never had a problem. Just a perpetual race between the bankruptcy court and Hell.--Rogov
no avatar
User

David M. Bueker

Rank

Childless Cat Dad

Posts

37053

Joined

Thu Mar 23, 2006 11:52 am

Location

Connecticut

Re: I couldn’t Carignan less

by David M. Bueker » Thu Sep 24, 2026 5:05 pm

This one was in fact Extradimensional, but I feel the same way about other producer’s Carignan. Bedrock did an Evangelho Carignan, and I just couldn’t love it.
Decisions are made by those who show up

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: AhrefsBot, APNIC Bot, ClaudeBot, LACNIC160, Ripe Bot and 1 guest

Powered by phpBB ® | phpBB3 Style by KomiDesign