The place for all things wine, focused on serious wine discussions.

WTN: PLalande, Gouges blanc, Produttori, Piedmont bubbles

Moderators: Jenise, Robin Garr, David M. Bueker

no avatar
User

Dale Williams

Rank

Compassionate Connoisseur

Posts

12439

Joined

Tue Mar 21, 2006 4:32 pm

Location

Dobbs Ferry, NY (NYC metro)

WTN: PLalande, Gouges blanc, Produttori, Piedmont bubbles

by Dale Williams » Wed Sep 23, 2026 2:21 pm

After the big Magdelaine lunch, I had a small simple dinner Saturday, oven baked grey sole, salad, and sliced tomato
2012 Gouges Perriere Nuits St George Blanc
Lemon and peach, a touch of hay and almond. Medium bodied, medium acid, good long finish. I usually serve this blind (Pinot Noir/Pinot Gouges is not usually people’s first thought when guessing white wines), it’s still got some life, but if I’m going to blind people I should do over next couple years, not quite as fresh as a couple years ago. B

Some friends over for dinner Sunday. Smoked mussels, smoked/peppered salmon on green apple, then lamb shanks with mustard and basil sauce, polenta, broccoli. Dave and Lenore brought great sauteed squash blossoms .

2013 Enrico Serafino Alta Langa Brut
Appley, some lemon curd, a little brioche. Good acids, but mousse is a bit coarse. Still pretty good, better than previous bottle. B

2012 Produttori del Barbaresco Barbaresco
Cherry and strawberry, a little tobacco and spice, a little bit of chewy tannin but overall nice in a lighter mode. Maybe not one for the ages but no hurry. B/B+

1985 Ch.Pichon Lalande (375)
Figured I needed to serve a claret if Dave’s at dinner. Last and best of a bunch of halves. Fully mature but not at all tired, Lovely nose of black fruits, cassis and leather. On the palate cassis and a little green herb, velvety texture, long finish with a ferric touch. A-

No wine Monday with turkey-stuffed poblanos (picking up Betsy at airport late) or Tuesday (takeout Chinese with my board)

Grade disclaimer: I'm a very easy grader, basically A is an excellent wine, B a good wine, C drinkable. Anything below C means I wouldn't drink at a party where it was the only choice. Furthermore, I offer no promises of objectivity, accuracy, and certainly not of consistency.
no avatar
User

Mark Lipton

Rank

Oenochemist

Posts

4912

Joined

Wed Mar 22, 2006 1:18 pm

Location

Indiana

Re: WTN: PLalande, Gouges blanc, Produttori, Piedmont bubble

by Mark Lipton » Wed Sep 23, 2026 2:41 pm

Dale Williams wrote:2012 Gouges Perriere Nuits St George Blanc
Lemon and peach, a touch of hay and almond. Medium bodied, medium acid, good long finish. I usually serve this blind (Pinot Noir/Pinot Gouges is not usually people’s first thought when guessing white wines), it’s still got some life, but if I’m going to blind people I should do over next couple years, not quite as fresh as a couple years ago. B

Isn't Pinot Gouges considered a Pinot Blanc sport? Or am I misunderstanding what you wrote there?
no avatar
User

Dale Williams

Rank

Compassionate Connoisseur

Posts

12439

Joined

Tue Mar 21, 2006 4:32 pm

Location

Dobbs Ferry, NY (NYC metro)

Re: WTN: PLalande, Gouges blanc, Produttori, Piedmont bubble

by Dale Williams » Wed Sep 23, 2026 3:08 pm

but isn't Pinot Blanc a sport of Pinot Noir? :)
I think that Gouges found the white sport in middle of his PN vineyards and named it. So yeah it's Pinot Blanc (but outside of Germany that is also seldom a wine brings up blind guessing).
no avatar
User

Dale Williams

Rank

Compassionate Connoisseur

Posts

12439

Joined

Tue Mar 21, 2006 4:32 pm

Location

Dobbs Ferry, NY (NYC metro)

Re: WTN: PLalande, Gouges blanc, Produttori, Piedmont bubble

by Dale Williams » Wed Sep 23, 2026 3:09 pm


Who is online

Users browsing this forum: AFRINIC, AhrefsBot, ClaudeBot, LACNIC160, Ripe Bot and 1 guest

Powered by phpBB ® | phpBB3 Style by KomiDesign