The place for all things wine, focused on serious wine discussions.

Vertical or One At a Time?

Moderators: Jenise, Robin Garr, David M. Bueker

no avatar
User

Bill Spohn

Rank

He put the 'bar' in 'barrister'

Posts

11797

Joined

Tue Mar 21, 2006 7:31 pm

Location

Vancouver BC

Vertical or One At a Time?

by Bill Spohn » Wed Sep 30, 2026 10:18 am

Jenise's notes on a Lynch Bages got me wondering. Is it preferable to sample such bottles one at a time, or in a mini-vertical so you can compare vintages, or in a horizontal tasting with other wines from the same vintage to compare how well various houses did against each other?

Not an easy decision - I have four vintages of Lynch Bages (70, 82, 88 and 90) and reading Jenise's notes I immediately started thinking about what the best way to enjoy nice old wines might be. When I was in the Commanderie, we tended to do verticals or horizontal tastings as being more educational, but when you have limited numbers of bottles it becomes a harder decision as to how to best enjoy them.
no avatar
User

Dale Williams

Rank

Compassionate Connoisseur

Posts

12439

Joined

Tue Mar 21, 2006 4:32 pm

Location

Dobbs Ferry, NY (NYC metro)

Re: Vertical or One At a Time?

by Dale Williams » Wed Sep 30, 2026 11:35 am

I do a lot (and like doing) verticals and horizontals with other wine geeks. Doing 1996 Medoc again tonight. It's educational and can expose biases. But I don't usually think about that for regular dinner parties, just find wines that I think will match food (and crowd).
no avatar
User

Jenise

Rank

FLDG Dishwasher

Posts

46551

Joined

Tue Mar 21, 2006 2:45 pm

Location

The Pacific Northest Westest

Re: Vertical or One At a Time?

by Jenise » Wed Sep 30, 2026 1:25 pm

Not that I have ever turned down an opp to participate in a vertical, but I generally prefer horizontals. The comparson of various houses in the same year has always seemed more exciting and educational, where vintage differences in a vertical seem to confirm what everyone present already thought/knew.
My wine shopping and I have never had a problem. Just a perpetual race between the bankruptcy court and Hell.--Rogov
no avatar
User

David M. Bueker

Rank

Childless Cat Dad

Posts

37053

Joined

Thu Mar 23, 2006 11:52 am

Location

Connecticut

Re: Vertical or One At a Time?

by David M. Bueker » Wed Sep 30, 2026 3:22 pm

I love verticals. The chance to see both development and the influence of vintage character isolated to a single producer/wine fascinates me.
Decisions are made by those who show up
no avatar
User

Bill Spohn

Rank

He put the 'bar' in 'barrister'

Posts

11797

Joined

Tue Mar 21, 2006 7:31 pm

Location

Vancouver BC

Re: Vertical or One At a Time?

by Bill Spohn » Thu Oct 01, 2026 12:42 pm

If you have a run of different vintages of one wine and a bunch of different wines from one vintage would that be a diagonal tasting.....

I'll agree with everyone that both verticals and horizontals are quite interesting!

Another tasting regime that can be interesting is a varietal tasting from different sources - e.g. a single varietal (or a blend) made in different areas. For many years Australian wines were identifiable as to source due to the widespread use of American oak (not so much today of course).

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: AhrefsBot, APNIC Bot, Baidu [Spider], ClaudeBot, Ripe Bot and 1 guest

Powered by phpBB ® | phpBB3 Style by KomiDesign