The place for all things wine, focused on serious wine discussions.

WTN: 1996 Claret at Smith and Wollenskys

Moderators: Jenise, Robin Garr, David M. Bueker

no avatar
User

Dale Williams

Rank

Compassionate Connoisseur

Posts

12439

Joined

Tue Mar 21, 2006 4:32 pm

Location

Dobbs Ferry, NY (NYC metro)

WTN: 1996 Claret at Smith and Wollenskys

by Dale Williams » Thu Oct 01, 2026 4:23 pm

No wine Tuesday with bluefish, sweet potatoes, broccoli and salad before going into the cit.y

Wednesday our Bordeaux group met at Smith & Wollensky’s at our favorite table, and we did our second 1996 horizontal of the year.

I started with crab cake

Chartogne-Taillet Chemin de Reims Champagne
I believe I was told this was 2020 base Pretty tight, but nice balance underneath. Sweet apple, pear, hint of vanilla, nuts. Fine but persistent mousse. B/B+ for now,but likely to get better.

2007 Philipponnat, Clos des Goisses Brut Champagne
Citrus and pear, pastry, marzipan, fresh and lively. Complex and complete, A-

My main was a bone in sirloin, sides were spinach, onion rings, and hash browns

1996 Ch. Grand Puy Lacoste
Cassis and black plum, young, cigarbox and earth. A-/B+

1996 Ch. Leoville Poyferre
Blackcurrant, anise, truffle. Rich with an lush texture, but structure to back it up. A-/B+

1996 Ch. Ducru-Beaucaillou
Black currant, tobacco and licorice, elegant but powerful. Very long future. A-

1996 Ch. Pichon Lalande
Cassis, red plum, elegantly herbal just a hint of barnyard. Long and lovely. A-

1996 Ch. Pichon Baron
Structured, big but supple tannins, dark fruit and coffee. Long. B+/A-

1996 Ch. Calon Segur
Black fruit but a bit less exuberant than some of the others, earth, leaves. Tannins just a little rough (Chris disagreed) B

1996 Ch. Montrose
Sturdy, black plum with mushrooms/truffle, saddle leather. Good, young. B/B+

2001 Ch Lafaurie-Peyraugey (375)
Dark color.Rich, propped up by those 2001 acids. Apricot, orange marmalade, caramel candy. No hurry but drinking nicely. B+/A-

Group voting (every wine made multiple people’s top 3)

Pichon Lalande 11
Leoville Poyferre 9
Ducru Beaucaillou 7
Pichon Baron 6
Grand Puy Lacoste 4
Calon Segur 3
Montrose 3
Should have been 42 pts total, someone added a extra point


Grade disclaimer: I'm a very easy grader, basically A is an excellent wine, B a good wine, C drinkable. Anything below C means I wouldn't drink at a party where it was the only choice. Furthermore, I offer no promises of objectivity, accuracy, and certainly not of consistency.
no avatar
User

David M. Bueker

Rank

Childless Cat Dad

Posts

37053

Joined

Thu Mar 23, 2006 11:52 am

Location

Connecticut

Re: WTN: 1996 Claret at Smith and Wollenskys

by David M. Bueker » Thu Oct 01, 2026 6:42 pm

A vintage I could have bought in bulk, and I barely bought anything. One of my great wine regrets.
Decisions are made by those who show up

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: AFRINIC, AhrefsBot, ClaudeBot, LACNIC160, Ripe Bot and 1 guest

Powered by phpBB ® | phpBB3 Style by KomiDesign