The place for all things wine, focused on serious wine discussions.

WTN: New Calif Burgs...(long/boring)

Moderators: Jenise, Robin Garr, David M. Bueker

no avatar
User

TomHill

Rank

Here From the Very Start

Wed Mar 29, 2006 12:01 pm

WTN: New Calif Burgs...(long/boring)

by TomHill » Mon Mar 26, 2007 3:10 pm

We tasted the other night (3/7/07) Some California Burgundies:
1. Ramey Chard SonomaCoast (14.2%; http://www.RameyWine.com) Healdsburg 2003: Med.gold color; rather
toasty/smokey/pungent bright melony/Chard bit appley slight earthy nose; tart strong toasty/
smokey/charred/Fr.oak light bright/melony/appley slight bacony flavor; very long/lingering
strong toasty/charred/oak some melony/Chard finish; lots of charred oak but plenty of fruit
underneath; bit lacking a mid-palate; bit pricey at $39.50
very long clean/crisp minerally/chalky bright/floral/spicy/melony slight butterscotchy/oak/
taosty finish; a lovely minerally Chard w/ loads of fruit; fairly priced at $44.00
Burgundian complex nose; soft very rich/lush minerally/smokey/pungent/toasty/Burgundian
bright minerally/appley/Chard flavor; very long minerally/Burgundian/toasty/oak rather
appley/minerally/Chard some complex finish; rather Burgundian in character and a fair
amount of oak but quite a good Chard. $41.00
butterscotchy bit herbal rather minerally/chalky strong melong/floral/perfumed very spicy
complex nose; tart rich very spicy/melony/Chard light nutmeg/butterscotchy very floral/
minerally flavor; very long/lingering tart some vanilla/butterscotchy/oak bright/spicy/
melony/Chard finish; a beautiful very spicy/minerally Chard w/ great structure; may go
for 10 yrs or so; one of my best Calif Chards in some time. $50.00
slight earthy some toasty/oak finish; a pretty/bright/vibrant SonomaCoast Pinot. $35.00
very attractive flavor; long bright/black cherry/cola/DrPepper some pencilly/toasty/Fr.oak
slight earthy/dusty/truffle finish w/ modest tannins; needs a yr or two. $41.00
PN/cherry soda/strawberry slight earthy/mushroomy finish w/ light tannins; loads of bright
cherry/PN fruit. $40.00
slight earthy/herbal/menthol slight tannic light toasty/oak finish; less bright cherry fruit
and more bass/black cherry/plummy character. $38.00
a pretty/drinkable Pinot w/ good RRV character. $32.00
rather spicy/black cherry/cherry bit dusty finish; lots of bright cherry fruit. $35.00
flavor; very long spicy/DrPepper/black cherry/cola/PN some toasty/pungent/oak finish w/
some tannins; needs 2-5 yrs yet; my favorite of the Drews; big & structured. $50.00
bit dusty/earthy/walnutty finish; not as bright/zingy as many AndersonVlly Pinots; needs several
yrs of age. $35.00
toasty/smokey/cedary/pencilly/oak flavor; med. licorice/plummy slight black cherry/PN light
pencilly/toasty/oak finish; not the power & richness of wines from the regular Cargasacchi
vnyd; a bit strange for PN. $27.50
quite dried out strong charred/burnt/oak flavor; some interesting things in the nose but
a pretty tired/dried-out Pinot devoid of fruit. Blair's mystery wine.
come on-line.
blanket condemenation of Calif Chard one more time, I think I'm gonna barf. There are a lot
of really good/well-made Chards out there that defy that description. Get over it, folks.
but not nearly as stunning as some from the SonomaCoast these days.
6. Holdredge: My first experience w/ John's Pinots. I liked them quite a lot; well-made,
interesting Pinots. Slightly preferred the WrenHop over the Mazie for its deeper/black
cherry character. Eager to try his other wines now.
AndersonVlly. These wines represent Jason's first efforts w/ NorthCoast Pinot fruit.
I was fairly impressed with them. It'll be interesting to see what he does w/ Syrah and
Zin up there.
quite a lot as well. Despite the fact there's too much Merlot & Cab there, it's an area
to watch I think.
certain, though, if KenBunap had allowed the grapes to ripen sufficiently and it had
fermented out to 15%-16%+ alcohol, the wine would still be alive & well.
I know green walnuts well. We had 9 trees on our property in KansasCity. I used to sit on
top of our outhouse, pull those green suckers, hard as steel ball bearings, off the overhanging
tree, and pelt Billy & Nanny, the Utter's goats next door, with them. Every once in awhile,
I'd hit one in the side of the ribs w/ a resounding/satisfying "thump". Billy or Nanny would
rise up on their hind legs and let out this loud bellow. Then ol' lady Utter would come running
out the back door, yelling at me.."Tommy..you get down off that outhouse and leave my goats
alone". I'd run like the dickens to escape her wrath. But the smell of those green walnuts,
oily and sticky, would stay on my hands for days, no matter how hard I scrubbed. I remember
that distinct smell well. Great fun that was.
Tom
no avatar
User

Cynthia Wenslow

Rank

Pizza Princess

Mon Mar 27, 2006 9:32 pm

The Third Coast

Re: WTN: New Calif Burgs...(long/boring)

by Cynthia Wenslow » Tue Mar 27, 2007 2:04 pm

Thanks for the very nice notes, as always Tom.

I love the story of the goats!
no avatar
User

Sam Platt

Rank

I am Sam, Sam I am

Sat Mar 25, 2006 12:22 pm

Indiana, USA

Re: WTN: New Calif Burgs...(long/boring)

by Sam Platt » Tue Mar 27, 2007 11:12 pm

Tom,

I've been off the Cal Pinots because of what I consider to be the post-Sideways outlandishly poor QPR's. Any "can't misses" in the group that you tasted?
Sam

"The biggest problem most people have is that they think they shouldn't have any." - Tony Robbins
no avatar
User

TomHill

Rank

Here From the Very Start

Wed Mar 29, 2006 12:01 pm

Nope....

by TomHill » Wed Mar 28, 2007 9:52 am

Sam,
None of that bunch I'd be tempted to buy...'cept maybe the Holdredge regular or
the Drew Weir.
Tom