The place for all things wine, focused on serious wine discussions.

WTN: Volcanic soil and profound minerality in a Cali Cab!

Moderators: Jenise, Robin Garr, David M. Bueker

no avatar
User

Brian K Miller

Rank

Passionate Arboisphile

Fri Aug 25, 2006 1:05 am

Northern California

WTN: Volcanic soil and profound minerality in a Cali Cab!

by Brian K Miller » Thu Mar 29, 2007 11:33 pm

From 1000 feet up on Diamond Mountain near Calistoga, the 2001 Rombauer Diamond Select Cab, while pricey, was another revelationa s far as electricity and minerality for me (like, wierdly enough, the Northern Rhone I tried a few weeks ago!) Dark black fruit, plenty of iron and minerals on the palette and the nose. I am really liking Diamond Mountain wines-and this one, while not cheap, is 1/3 the cost of some Diamond Mountain Cabs.

Tried at the winery a while ago, I picked up a bottle today when I was in the county.

Although Rombauer is known (infamous?? :lol: ) for oaky, big Chardonnays and fruit bomb Zinfandels, their cabs are balanced and rather lean for Napa fruit. Almost all of them are below 14% labeled abv.

The Diamond Select is quite a distinctive wine. More detailed notes when I crack this baby.
...(Humans) are unique in our capacity to construct realities at utter odds with reality. Dogs dream and dolphins imagine, but only humans are deluded. –Jacob Bacharach