The place for all things wine, focused on serious wine discussions.

WTN: My Second Italian...LOL!

Moderators: Jenise, Robin Garr, David M. Bueker

no avatar
User

Maria Samms

Rank

Picky Eater Pleaser

Thu Dec 28, 2006 8:42 pm

Morristown, NJ

WTN: My Second Italian...LOL!

by Maria Samms » Fri Mar 30, 2007 3:44 pm

So I took Ryan and Paulo's advice on what to try for my second Italian...here is goes:

2002 Poliziano Vino Nobile di Montepulciano - $24.99 (USD), grape -Sangiovese, ABV 14 %.

The had a deep red/garnet color. The nose was of cherry, chocolate and some thyme. On the palate there was more of a savory note, very meaty. There was also cherry and raspberry. It had a nice acidic finish.

This wine was very nice. It was the most savoury wine I have ever had, different than most red wines I am used to drinking. It was a bit astringent, but still balanced.

In comparing the Avignonesi (1998) and the Poliziano (2002), I preferred the Avignonesi. I felt that both wines are really best drank with food, but because the Poliziano had a higher alcohol content, and was more astringent, it didn't pair as well with my meal as the Avignonesi. (I had the same meal with both to compare). It could also be that the Avignonesi was older, and slightly more mellow. The Avignonesi seemed to have a nicer acidity as well.

In the end, I really enjoyed both Vino Nobiles. Off to try some Chianti Classico!
"Wine makes daily living easier, less hurried, with fewer tensions and more tolerance" -Benjamin Franklin
no avatar
User

ClarkDGigHbr

Rank

Ultra geek

Sat May 06, 2006 7:16 pm

Gig Harbor, WA

Re: WTN: My Second Italian...LOL!

by ClarkDGigHbr » Sat Mar 31, 2007 12:05 am

Another very nice tasting note, Maria. Good report on the facts without extraneous literary embellishment. You are really coming along.

-- Clark
no avatar
User

Brian K Miller

Rank

Passionate Arboisphile

Fri Aug 25, 2006 1:05 am

Northern California

by Brian K Miller » Sat Mar 31, 2007 12:05 am

Before giving up on this producer, keep in mind that 2002 was one of the worst vintages in Italy in a while. I'm not sure how a couple bottles slipped into my cellar :oops: :cry:
...(Humans) are unique in our capacity to construct realities at utter odds with reality. Dogs dream and dolphins imagine, but only humans are deluded. –Jacob Bacharach
no avatar
User

Ian Sutton

Rank

Spanna in the works

Sun Apr 09, 2006 2:10 pm

Norwich, UK

by Ian Sutton » Sat Mar 31, 2007 7:52 am

Brian K Miller wrote:Before giving up on this producer, keep in mind that 2002 was one of the worst vintages in Italy in a while. I'm not sure how a couple bottles slipped into my cellar :oops: :cry:

Brian
I've tasted a few and whilst there are indeed some poor wines, there's also a good number of sound balanced wines, albeit at the lighter end of the scale. Personally I've had more problem with 03, with out of character wines struggling for balance from the hot weather. Winners and losers in both vintages and I'm hoping a 2003 Nebbiolo (Vajra I think) stood up in the drink soon box will challenge my opinion!

Maria
I'm a big fan of Vino Nobile di Montepulciano as we've had a great run of top value wines from different producers. I bought a bottle of Avignonesi's Reserve wine (the Grandi Annate) from the 99 vintage a while back and I'm interested in seeing what a good producer does by way of a reserve wine, when we've had such enjoyment at the £10-15 ($20-30) range from them and other producers.

regards

Ian
no avatar
User

Maria Samms

Rank

Picky Eater Pleaser

Thu Dec 28, 2006 8:42 pm

Morristown, NJ

by Maria Samms » Sat Mar 31, 2007 8:46 am

Thanks everyone!

Brian,

I am sorry if my TNs came across as negative regarding the Poliziano, because that is not the case at all! I definitely enjoyed the wine and would buy from them again. I just think if I had a choice to drink something with dinner, I would probably choose the Avignonesi just because it was a little more acidic, less alcoholic, and the tannins were a bit more mellow(probably because of the age though). But that does not mean I thought the Poliziano was unbalanced or hot. Quite the contrary...in fact I was surprised that the Poliziano was 14% ABV.
"Wine makes daily living easier, less hurried, with fewer tensions and more tolerance" -Benjamin Franklin
no avatar
User

Ryan D

Rank

Ultra geek

Thu Jan 11, 2007 2:07 pm

Ringwood, NJ

by Ryan D » Mon Apr 02, 2007 9:05 am

Regarding the 2002 Poliziano, it may be simply a case of being too darned young. On my honeymoon in October we purchased several 2003 Vino Nobiles from the Poliziano winery directly and she told us right away not to even think about opening them for a year at least.
I can certainly see that you know your wine. Most of the guests who stay here wouldn't know the difference between Bordeaux and Claret.
- Basil Fawlty
Check out my -->blog<--.