The place for all things wine, focused on serious wine discussions.

WTN: Three Rieslilngs - Schloss Schonborn, Gunderloch and Selbach-Oster

Moderators: Jenise, Robin Garr, David M. Bueker

no avatar
User

Bruce Hayes

Rank

Wine guru

Wed Mar 22, 2006 10:20 am

Prescott, Ontario, Canada

WTN: Three Rieslilngs - Schloss Schonborn, Gunderloch and Selbach-Oster

by Bruce Hayes » Sat Mar 31, 2007 11:32 am

My brother and his wife came over for Sunday dinner last week. Since I knew they both liked Riesling, I decided to serve nothing but. What a great brother I am. 8)

Schloss Schonborn Easte Riesling 2003 Rheingau: Honey, spicy, juicy lemon, grapefruit, peppery, good zingy acidity, with some lightly tart and mouthwatering green apple. Very nice aperitif wine.

Gunderloch Nackenheim Rothenberg Riesling Spatlese 1994 Rheinhessen: My last bottle. Lots of petrol on the nose.
Orange, apricots, tangerine, raisins, overripe peaches, petrol, spicy and just enough acidity to keep things moving along. Rich fruit, but not overwhelming. Matched quite nicely with pork chops on the BBQ.

Selbach-Oster Zeltinger Sonnenuhr Riesling Auslese 1997 MSR: From a half bottle. Lots of petrol on the nose.
Lots of petrol in the mouth as well, rather lean structure, green apples, overripe peaches, but an annoying bitter-dirty-rough taste overwhelmed everything.
Dirty and bitter on the finish.
Fared very poorly against the Gunderloch.
no avatar
User

Tom N.

Rank

Wine guru

Thu Mar 23, 2006 10:17 pm

Soo, Ont.

Re: WTN: Three Rieslilngs - Schloss Schonborn, Gunderloch and Selbach-Oster

by Tom N. » Sat Mar 31, 2007 1:35 pm

Hi Bruce,

Any brother who serves riesling is a good brother! And you included a Gunderloch, my favorite german winery :wink: The last Noland Brothers tasting (Thanksgiving) was a riesling tasting with each of us contributing a bottle. Brother Bob supplied the appetizers. It was a great tasting with one Australian, one german Gunderloch, and on Austrian riesling. All different but all good! I posted a WTN here on it last fall.
Tom Noland
Good sense is not common.
no avatar
User

Bruce Hayes

Rank

Wine guru

by Bruce Hayes » Sat Mar 31, 2007 1:47 pm

Tom N. wrote:Hi Bruce,

Any brother who serves riesling is a good brother!.

Gosh, possibly good enough to be made an honourary Nolan brother??!! :shock:
no avatar
User

Tom N.

Rank

Wine guru

Soo, Ont.

by Tom N. » Sat Mar 31, 2007 3:30 pm

Bruce Hayes wrote:Gosh, possibly good enough to be made an honourary Nolan brother??!! :shock:

You Betcha!

Just come to MoCool this year for your initiation ceremony as an honorary Noland Brother. It involves the drinking of many fine wines, eating great food, and having a good time partying with other wine lovers including other Honorary Noland Brothers like Julia B. I know, its a tough life but somebody has to live it.
Tom Noland
no avatar
User

Eric Ifune

Rank

Ultra geek

Wed Apr 05, 2006 3:51 pm

Las Vegas, NV and elsewhere

by Eric Ifune » Sat Mar 31, 2007 7:06 pm

Thanks for the note on the Gunderloch. I've still a few bottles left but haven't opened one for a few years. How sweet was it drinking?
no avatar
User

Bruce Hayes

Rank

Wine guru

by Bruce Hayes » Sat Mar 31, 2007 7:18 pm

Eric Ifune wrote:Thanks for the note on the Gunderloch. I've still a few bottles left but haven't opened one for a few years. How sweet was it drinking?

Eric: I only have experience with the Spatlese and have never had the Auslese, but have always found the Gunderloch Spatlese to emphasize more of the juicy, fleshy fruit than sweetness. Perhaps the Auslese is sweeter and thicker.

It was almost a week ago now, and my memory isn't what it used to be, but I don't recall it being overly sweet.
no avatar
User

Bob Henrick

Rank

Kamado Kommander

Thu Mar 23, 2006 7:35 pm

Lexington, Ky.

Re: WTN: Three Rieslilngs - Schloss Schonborn, Gunderloch a

by Bob Henrick » Sat Mar 31, 2007 8:09 pm

Tom N. wrote:
Bruce Hayes wrote:Gosh, possibly good enough to be made an honourary Nolan brother??!! :shock:

You Betcha!

Just come to MoCool this year for your initiation ceremony as an honorary Noland Brother. It involves the drinking of many fine wines, eating great food, and having a good time partying with other wine lovers including other Honorary Noland Brothers like Julia B. I know, its a tough life but somebody has to live it.

Tom, I have often wondered just how Julia made the clan and I haven't. Where do I pick up an application? :)
Bob Henrick
no avatar
User

Tom N.

Rank

Wine guru

Soo, Ont.

by Tom N. » Sun Apr 01, 2007 2:29 pm

Hi Bob,

Mea culpa, mea culpa! Let there be no question about it, you are an honorary :) Noland Brother, Bob! I just forgot to list you in the response. Once you break bread and drink wine with the 3 Noland Brothers at MoCool you are in! You are also our Spanish wine mentor especially the lesser known wines such as the albarino that you turned us on to. If were not for you, I would not have the 2005 Laxas Rias Baixis albarino in my cellar right now.
Tom Noland
no avatar
User

David M. Bueker

Rank

Riesling Guru

Thu Mar 23, 2006 11:52 am

Connecticut

by David M. Bueker » Sun Apr 01, 2007 2:41 pm

Dirty is a term I never personally associate (or hear associated) with Selbach-Oster who are obsessive about clean fruit and clean cellars. I'm thinking bad bottle/bad cork of some sort.
Decisions are made by those who show up
no avatar
User

Bob Noland

Rank

Ultra geek

Thu Nov 30, 2006 2:32 pm

Chardon, Ohio

by Bob Noland » Thu Apr 05, 2007 8:03 pm

:arrow: Bob, Even though Tom being the oldest (experimental child) thinks he speaks for the Noland brothers... trust me, he is barely a member himself. Just like making wine, it takes a little experimenting to get the perfect blend. Just to let you know there is something in your future cementing your "honorary" status.
To do is to be. - Socrates
To be is to do. - Jean-Paul Sartre, Plato
Do-be-do-be-do. Frank Sinatra
no avatar
User

Bob Henrick

Rank

Kamado Kommander

Thu Mar 23, 2006 7:35 pm

Lexington, Ky.

by Bob Henrick » Thu Apr 05, 2007 8:30 pm

Gosh Bob! ( great name your parents chose! I am breathless with expectation and wonder! :lol:
Bob Henrick
no avatar
User

Tom N.

Rank

Wine guru

Soo, Ont.

by Tom N. » Thu Apr 05, 2007 10:47 pm

Bob H.,

Even though I just barely qualify as a real Noland brother according to brother Bob, I still am the #1 brother. In this case, the first experiment is the best! Who wants to be second? Of course, James, as number 3 will tell you that the third time is the charm. Take your pick.
Tom Noland