The place for all things wine, focused on serious wine discussions.

Moderators: Jenise, Robin Garr, David M. Bueker

no avatar
User

Robin Garr

Rank

Forum Janitor

Fri Feb 17, 2006 1:44 pm

Louisville, KY

Re: log in problems

by Robin Garr » Tue Apr 03, 2007 8:53 am

Randy R wrote:Why go through all the hoops? Bookmarks were invented for this reason, to replace such moves with a single click (depending on where you put it). Perhaps you are helping make the hits figures higher so Robin can make even more money on the ads? :)

I've missed most of this thread because of travel - I was on the road for 24 hours yesterday, although with nice wi-fi encounters at both Rome Fiumcino and Newark - but it does seem to me that this thing is fairly simple.

Clear out your cookies. Bookmark the site, and take care that you bookmark a simple, clean URL to the first page of the forum, NOT a lengthy bookmark containing cryptic information. Click "keep me logged in," and you really shouldn't have a problem with this again.
no avatar
User

John Tomasso

Rank

Too Big to Fail

Tue Mar 21, 2006 4:27 pm

Buellton, CA

by John Tomasso » Tue Apr 03, 2007 8:55 am

Bob Parsons Alberta. wrote:All this is OK if one is literate with the technology!! Some are, a few are not and some like those I have PMed are saying "don`t have the time to mess around". We are going to lose some forumites here, mark my words.

I don't mean to sound harsh, but Robin and Randy are performing a service here - and last time I checked, it doesn't cost a dime.
If people "don't have the time to mess around" in order to optimize their experience here, that is unfortunate. I would suggest that in the time it took to PM you, they could have messed around enough to fix the problem.

Worst case scenario - you have to log in each time you visit. PITA, sure, but what does it take, five seconds?

FWIW, I haven't experienced any login problems using FF - I come in with via my bookmark:
http://www.wineloverspage.com/forum/village/index.php
"I say: find cheap wines you like, and never underestimate their considerable charms." - David Rosengarten, "Taste"
no avatar
User

John Tomasso

Rank

Too Big to Fail

Buellton, CA

by John Tomasso » Tue Apr 03, 2007 8:58 am

David M. Bueker wrote:My bookmark is as follows:

I've cleared cookies and then logged back in and still have the problem.

David, when I click on your bookmark, I go right to the index page, logged in.
Maybe you missed a cookie? Your bookmark is identical to mine, BTW.
"I say: find cheap wines you like, and never underestimate their considerable charms." - David Rosengarten, "Taste"
no avatar
User

Bob Parsons Alberta

Rank

aka Doris

Tue Mar 21, 2006 3:09 pm

by Bob Parsons Alberta » Tue Apr 03, 2007 8:58 am

Listen my friend, maybe they are like me and do not have the know-how to fix wharever is going wrong here. John, you have to bear with those who are not computer literate Ok? Me I do not even know what is a cookie!! Seriously.

Just think of the number of people we lost with that Netscape thingy. Plus we have to remember the newbies who are joining us here in good numbers, maybe they do not understand the system here
Last edited by Bob Parsons Alberta on Tue Apr 03, 2007 9:03 am, edited 1 time in total.
no avatar
User

Bob Ross

Rank

Wine guru

Sun Mar 26, 2006 10:39 pm

Franklin Lakes, NJ

by Bob Ross » Tue Apr 03, 2007 8:59 am

"Why go through all the hoops?"

Reasons:

I like to go to the Front Page first to see what changes are occurring there.

I use the desktop icons and the drop down menus for stuff I rarely use and don't remember easily, but are important; even using del.ic.ious, the number of links builds up very quickly given how much online research I do.

I've got the Google box on the tool bar so its very easy to type in wine lover, faster really than finding an icon on desk top. I do the same for many other sites -- Atlantic, Consumer Reports, etc. This keeps me up to date on what Google is doing with their new betas and the neat little daily cartoons.

Habit -- I started this technique ten years ago and it is fast and intuitive for me now. I'm a touch typist and this system allows me to keep my fingers on the keyboard typing at speed.

At one time there was one less key stroke when one could go directly from the Front Page to WLDG, but the Logo is so large on the discussion groups page that it's still very quick.

The "artificial hit" issue bothers me from time to time, but I'm assuming that WLP has so many hits from other people that two or three hits a day from one user can't really inflate the numbers significantly.

In any event, as you indicated earlier, lots of ways to skin a cat in the computer world -- a great benefit, of course, but lack of standards creates lots of problems.

Frankly, I would think that the pathway I'm following is one that should be carefully tested by WLP management since it is one of the basic Newbie pathways to WLDG.

Regards, Bob
no avatar
User

David M. Bueker

Rank

Riesling Guru

Thu Mar 23, 2006 11:52 am

Connecticut

by David M. Bueker » Tue Apr 03, 2007 9:01 am

John Tomasso wrote:
David M. Bueker wrote:My bookmark is as follows:

I've cleared cookies and then logged back in and still have the problem.

David, when I click on your bookmark, I go right to the index page, logged in.
Maybe you missed a cookie? Your bookmark is identical to mine, BTW.

I never, ever miss a cookie. Why do you think I look like this??? :wink:

I'll go look manually.
Decisions are made by those who show up
no avatar
User

John Tomasso

Rank

Too Big to Fail

Buellton, CA

by John Tomasso » Tue Apr 03, 2007 9:06 am

Bob Parsons Alberta. wrote:Listen my friend, maybe they are like me and do not have the know-how to fix wharever is going wrong here. John, you have to bear with those who are not computer literate Ok? Me I do not even know what is a cookie!! Seriously.

I appreciate that, Bob.
Carefully following the directions that Randy has set forth should clear the problems up, even for those that do not understand the stuff that is going on behind the scenes.

Perhaps Randy or Robin could make a post, and make it sticky, detailing the steps one should take to clear up this problem, at least for the IE and FF browsers, which I would think are what the majority of users are using.

And Bob - a "cookie" is a small file that is placed on your computer by a website, so that the website can identify you when you return. It is how a website "knows" your preferences, which threads you've read, your log in and password, etc etc

Again, I didn't mean to jump down your throat - sorry if I offended.
no avatar
User

Bob Ross

Rank

Wine guru

Franklin Lakes, NJ

by Bob Ross » Tue Apr 03, 2007 9:10 am

"Clear out your cookies. Bookmark the site, and take care that you bookmark a simple, clean URL to the first page of the forum, NOT a lengthy bookmark containing cryptic information. Click "keep me logged in," and you really shouldn't have a problem with this again."

Robin, I took the messages here as a request for information, and am not bitching. The sign-in problem is a local issue for me on a number of sites -- perhaps 25% of those I regularly visit.

I don't like staying logged in; if I do, I have to mark stuff read even if I don't read it -- I use the flat view by personal preference. It's easier to sign out when I'm finished.

Again, all this was for information, not a complaint.

Welcome back.
no avatar
User

Robin Garr

Rank

Forum Janitor

Fri Feb 17, 2006 1:44 pm

Louisville, KY

by Robin Garr » Tue Apr 03, 2007 9:12 am

Bob Ross wrote:Again, all this was for information, not a complaint.

Welcome back.

Bob, if you're happy, I'm happy! :)

And thanks for the re-welcome! I love Italy, and eagerly grab every chance I can grab to get over there, but two weeks of 18-hour work days with no breaks for weekends ... that's just about enough!
no avatar
User

Bob Henrick

Rank

Kamado Kommander

Thu Mar 23, 2006 7:35 pm

Lexington, Ky.

by Bob Henrick » Tue Apr 03, 2007 3:20 pm

John Tomasso wrote:
Bob Parsons Alberta. wrote:All this is OK if one is literate with the technology!! Some are, a few are not and some like those I have PMed are saying "don`t have the time to mess around". We are going to lose some forumites here, mark my words.

I don't mean to sound harsh, but Robin and Randy are performing a service here - and last time I checked, it doesn't cost a dime.
If people "don't have the time to mess around" in order to optimize their experience here, that is unfortunate. I would suggest that in the time it took to PM you, they could have messed around enough to fix the problem.

Worst case scenario - you have to log in each time you visit. PITA, sure, but what does it take, five seconds?

FWIW, I haven't experienced any login problems using FF - I come in with via my bookmark:

John, whether or not you meant to sound harsh or not, you surely did come across as rather harsh IMO. Bob P, didn't say that he was leaving, just that some would. No one said they were leaving over this issue, yet. But, if the software is supposed to keep one at least remembered, and it is not, then something is wrong, somewhere. I had the problem and I solved the problem. But, as Bob P said some are more able to muddle through issues such as this without help, and some are not. I would say that hopefully no one will leave the forum because of this problem, but If some say that they have a problem, and are met with this type post, I for one will not blame them if they seek happier pastures, I will miss them, but I won't blame them. So, just in case I am not clear, I believe posts such as yours and to a lesser degree that of Redwinger are out of line with the overall friendly atmosphere that Robin has fostered here and for which this forum is the place it is. I will go one step further, and this is not addressed toward you or toward Pill P, but I say that if you are not offering help to those that need it, then just bypass the thread in total. Anyone who IS having problems may PM me and I will be glad to give them my browser settings and caution them about thing(s) that can cause the exact problem that is being experienced, by more than a few.
Bob Henrick
no avatar
User

Redwinger

Rank

Wine guru

Wed Mar 22, 2006 2:36 pm

Way Down South In Indiana, USA

by Redwinger » Tue Apr 03, 2007 4:35 pm

Bob Henrick wrote:
John Tomasso wrote:

John, whether or not you meant to sound harsh or not, you surely did come across as rather harsh IMO. Bob P, didn't say that he was leaving, just that some would. No one said they were leaving over this issue, yet. But, if the software is supposed to keep one at least remembered, and it is not, then something is wrong, somewhere. I had the problem and I solved the problem. But, as Bob P said some are more able to muddle through issues such as this without help, and some are not. I would say that hopefully no one will leave the forum because of this problem, but If some say that they have a problem, and are met with this type post, I for one will not blame them if they seek happier pastures, I will miss them, but I won't blame them. So, just in case I am not clear, I believe posts such as yours and to a lesser degree that of Redwinger are out of line with the overall friendly atmosphere that Robin has fostered here and for which this forum is the place it is. I will go one step further, and this is not addressed toward you or toward Pill P, but I say that if you are not offering help to those that need it, then just bypass the thread in total. Anyone who IS having problems may PM me and I will be glad to give them my browser settings and caution them about thing(s) that can cause the exact problem that is being experienced, by more than a few.

Bob,
Thanks for singling me out for my basic unfriendly nature with your friendly post. I really appreciate having my shortcomings paraded in front of the entire group in such a friendly manner.
I was merely trying to figure out what the big deal was about having to sign in. I conceded it was an irritant. However, please don't suggest when and where I should post. I will continue post to any thread when I am seeking an understanding of the issue, but may not have a ready solution. I am sure Robin will tell me when I get out of line (he has done so in the past), so I will let that guide my posting behavior.
Furthermore, in the future, anyone who feels I have responded to them in an unfriendly or inappropriate manner is invited to PM me.
Bill
Smile, it gives your face something to do!
no avatar
User

Sue Courtney

Rank

Wine guru

Wed Mar 22, 2006 6:33 pm

Auckland, NZ

by Sue Courtney » Tue Apr 03, 2007 4:58 pm

Crikey, I hope not. Gee, I didn't mean to start a whole can of worms squirming, Bob. I just mentioned it because I found it frustrating as I have a stupidly long and cryptic password. But it was not life threatening.

FWIW, I think my problems started happening after I used a topic reply notification link in an email to navigate to the forum. I don't usually do that.

I've sorted out the problem now and everyone else who has the problem can do so simply by following Randy's instructions. I've bolded the important piece of information.

Randy R wrote:
Sue Courtney wrote:
Randy,
cookie:xxx@www.wineloverspage.com
cookie:xxx@wineloverspage.com

This is basically what I was saying. Because there were cookies with and without www there was a confusion somewhere. You see the delete cookies link can only touch the URL where you click it.

Perhaps a start for anyone else is to go to the forum with and without www, delete the cookies and start again.

It's great that you were able to solve your problem!

It takes a few steps, but it should fix the problem for good if you have log in problems - that is when you are not logged in and you have previously asked forum to remember you, you have not logged yourself out - and you are using the same computer!

Bob Ross wrote:"Why go through all the hoops?"

Reasons:

I like to go to the Front Page first to see what changes are occurring there.

Good reasons Bob, But you don't have to log into the front page, only into the forum if you want to see new threads to you, or to participate.

Cheers,
Sue
no avatar
User

John Tomasso

Rank

Too Big to Fail

Buellton, CA

by John Tomasso » Tue Apr 03, 2007 5:23 pm

Bob Henrick wrote:John, whether or not you meant to sound harsh or not, you surely did come across as rather harsh IMO. Bob P, didn't say that he was leaving, just that some would.

The other Bob said, "We are going to lose some forumites here, mark my words."

Now, how exactly is one supposed to respond to that? Would you leave over something so (IMO) trivial? I know I wouldn't. I simply was pointing out that the solution HAD been given, and it wasn't so technical as to preclude someone with little or no knowledge at all of how a computer works to implement it. I inferred from his post that these people couldn't be bothered trying to fix it themselves ("I don't have time to mess with it") but rather, wanted it magically fixed for them by someone else. Since the problem resides on their computer, how is that supposed to occur? Should Randy or Robin make personal visits to each of their homes to adjust their settings?

Bob Henrick wrote:But, if the software is supposed to keep one at least remembered, and it is not, then something is wrong, somewhere.

I inferred from his post that these people couldn't be bothered trying to fix it themselves ("I don't have time to mess with it") but rather, wanted it magically fixed for them by someone else. Since the problem resides on their computer, how is that supposed to occur? Should Randy or Robin make personal visits to each of their homes to adjust their settings?

Bob Henrick wrote:
So, just in case I am not clear, I believe posts such as yours and to a lesser degree that of Redwinger are out of line with the overall friendly atmosphere that Robin has fostered here

Let me be clear - I apologized in advance for any perceived harshness - I apologized again when I said, "sorry if I offended." Having done that, I don't appreciate being lectured by you, in public no less, on the niceties of this forum. I've been here quite a long time too, you know.

Why you saw fit to jump into the middle of something that was resolved between Bob from Alberta and me is beyond my understanding - but I'd appreciate it if you don't do it again.

i
no avatar
User

Bob Ross

Rank

Wine guru

Franklin Lakes, NJ

by Bob Ross » Tue Apr 03, 2007 5:25 pm

"But you don't have to log into the front page, only into the forum if you want to see new threads to you, or to participate."

Thanks Sue. I've gone to the Front Page first for a number of years -- after all, it's the most important part of Wine Lovers Page -- the forums are fun and important, but they are only a very small part of the treasures on WLP. And, Robin's kind of a tricky fellow -- he's not above adding something really good without notice. :)

Regards, Bob
no avatar
User

David M. Bueker

Rank

Riesling Guru

Thu Mar 23, 2006 11:52 am

Connecticut

by David M. Bueker » Tue Apr 03, 2007 6:01 pm

FYI - hand deleting my cookies solved my problem.

I've now checked on both my home and work computers, and the "Remove cookies" button doesn't work on either. Not a big deal as I don't want to, but just a note...

By the way...can we just all calm down a little. Don't cry over broken cookies and all that...
Decisions are made by those who show up
no avatar
User

Sue Courtney

Rank

Wine guru

Wed Mar 22, 2006 6:33 pm

Auckland, NZ

by Sue Courtney » Tue Apr 03, 2007 6:10 pm

David M. Bueker wrote:FYI - hand deleting my cookies solved my problem.

I've now checked on both my home and work computers, and the "Remove cookies" button doesn't work on either. Not a big deal as I don't want to, but just a note...

By the way...can we just all calm down a little. Don't cry over broken cookies and all that...

Excellent. You and I are happy, at least.
We ate our cookies and baked a new batch.
Bon apetit and have a great day!
Cheers,
Sue
no avatar
User

Bob Parsons Alberta

Rank

aka Doris

Tue Mar 21, 2006 3:09 pm

by Bob Parsons Alberta » Tue Apr 03, 2007 6:55 pm

Redwinger wrote:I usually steer clear of these software threads as I have nothing to contibute from a technical point of view. I'll happily let the techies sort out this log in problemas well.
Personally, I never stay logged in (call it paranoia) and clear all my cookies at least on a daily basis. That said, I also can understand how this issue could be an irritant for those who like to be logged in continuously, but kind of shake my head that it is a big enough of an issue to cause some people to leave the forum. I can login in less than 5 seconds. What am I missing?
Cheers,
Bill

Bill, I take it you log out after every visit? Do you advise we all do that? When I shut down for the night, I never close out here or on the UK wine forum. What are the dangers here? Thanks.
no avatar
User

Redwinger

Rank

Wine guru

Wed Mar 22, 2006 2:36 pm

Way Down South In Indiana, USA

by Redwinger » Tue Apr 03, 2007 7:21 pm

Bob Parsons Alberta. wrote:
Redwinger wrote:I usually steer clear of these software threads as I have nothing to contibute from a technical point of view. I'll happily let the techies sort out this log in problemas well.
Personally, I never stay logged in (call it paranoia) and clear all my cookies at least on a daily basis. That said, I also can understand how this issue could be an irritant for those who like to be logged in continuously, but kind of shake my head that it is a big enough of an issue to cause some people to leave the forum. I can login in less than 5 seconds. What am I missing?
Cheers,
Bill

Bill, I take it you log out after every visit? Do you advise we all do that? When I shut down for the night, I never close out here or on the UK wine forum. What are the dangers here? Thanks.

Bob,
I do log out after each visit. I'm not quite sure why. I just got in the habit of doing that whenever I access my bank or broker and it just sort of carries forward to other sites. I would never presume to tell you what to do. Also, I've found that some of my work related software works a whole lot faster if I periodically cleanse all my cookies.
Not really a rational answer, but...
Smile, it gives your face something to do!
no avatar
User

Bob Ross

Rank

Wine guru

Franklin Lakes, NJ

by Bob Ross » Tue Apr 03, 2007 8:16 pm

Bob, there's no danger in staying logged in -- Robin, for example, suggests it and it's an elegant solution for anyone who encounters a problem signing back on again.

I sign out each time simply so that only messages I haven't read appear when I click the View Posts Since Last Visit link. Assuming I've read all the current messages I want to.

I could get the same result by clicking the Mark all forums read link and then going to other sites.

Either way works.

Regards, Bob
no avatar
User

MikeH

Rank

Wine guru

Wed Mar 29, 2006 11:07 pm

Cincinnati

by MikeH » Thu Apr 05, 2007 12:02 am

Randy R wrote:Is anyone using bookmarks? If so, what is the URL of the bookmark you are using to "browse to" the forum? Are you clicking to the forum through the front page, or some other page?

Please satisfy my curiosity about this as a MIME is a terrible thing to waste.

I use a bookmark regularly and never need to log in. http://www.wineloverspage.com/forum/village/index.php
Cheers!
Mike
no avatar
User

MikeH

Rank

Wine guru

Wed Mar 29, 2006 11:07 pm

Cincinnati

by MikeH » Thu Apr 05, 2007 12:09 am

Bob Ross wrote:This morning my User Name and Password were present; if I do not sign in for a day or two, the User Name and Password blanks are empty, but my FF browser will fill them in if I enter the first character of the User Name.

Regards, Bob

Maybe History retention is set to only a few day?
Cheers!
Mike
no avatar
User

keith prothero

Rank

Wine geek

Tue Aug 15, 2006 11:21 am

UK and South Africa

by keith prothero » Thu Apr 05, 2007 9:55 am

Miracle after about 2 weeks of trying the system accepts my password and user name.
No idea what the problem is,and I hope it does not return as my patience is limited :twisted: and I always use a bookmark.
PreviousNext