The place for all things wine, focused on serious wine discussions.

Moderators: Jenise, Robin Garr, David M. Bueker

no avatar
User

Sue Courtney

Rank

Wine guru

Wed Mar 22, 2006 6:33 pm

Auckland, NZ

Re: log in problems

by Sue Courtney » Tue Apr 03, 2007 6:10 pm

David M. Bueker wrote:FYI - hand deleting my cookies solved my problem.

I've now checked on both my home and work computers, and the "Remove cookies" button doesn't work on either. Not a big deal as I don't want to, but just a note...

By the way...can we just all calm down a little. Don't cry over broken cookies and all that...

Excellent. You and I are happy, at least.
We ate our cookies and baked a new batch.
Bon apetit and have a great day!
Cheers,
Sue
no avatar
User

Bob Parsons Alberta

Rank

aka Doris

Tue Mar 21, 2006 3:09 pm

by Bob Parsons Alberta » Tue Apr 03, 2007 6:55 pm

Redwinger wrote:I usually steer clear of these software threads as I have nothing to contibute from a technical point of view. I'll happily let the techies sort out this log in problemas well.
Personally, I never stay logged in (call it paranoia) and clear all my cookies at least on a daily basis. That said, I also can understand how this issue could be an irritant for those who like to be logged in continuously, but kind of shake my head that it is a big enough of an issue to cause some people to leave the forum. I can login in less than 5 seconds. What am I missing?
Cheers,
Bill

Bill, I take it you log out after every visit? Do you advise we all do that? When I shut down for the night, I never close out here or on the UK wine forum. What are the dangers here? Thanks.
no avatar
User

Redwinger

Rank

Wine guru

Wed Mar 22, 2006 2:36 pm

Way Down South In Indiana, USA

by Redwinger » Tue Apr 03, 2007 7:21 pm

Bob Parsons Alberta. wrote:
Redwinger wrote:I usually steer clear of these software threads as I have nothing to contibute from a technical point of view. I'll happily let the techies sort out this log in problemas well.
Personally, I never stay logged in (call it paranoia) and clear all my cookies at least on a daily basis. That said, I also can understand how this issue could be an irritant for those who like to be logged in continuously, but kind of shake my head that it is a big enough of an issue to cause some people to leave the forum. I can login in less than 5 seconds. What am I missing?
Cheers,
Bill

Bill, I take it you log out after every visit? Do you advise we all do that? When I shut down for the night, I never close out here or on the UK wine forum. What are the dangers here? Thanks.

Bob,
I do log out after each visit. I'm not quite sure why. I just got in the habit of doing that whenever I access my bank or broker and it just sort of carries forward to other sites. I would never presume to tell you what to do. Also, I've found that some of my work related software works a whole lot faster if I periodically cleanse all my cookies.
Not really a rational answer, but...
Smile, it gives your face something to do!
no avatar
User

Bob Ross

Rank

Wine guru

Sun Mar 26, 2006 10:39 pm

Franklin Lakes, NJ

by Bob Ross » Tue Apr 03, 2007 8:16 pm

Bob, there's no danger in staying logged in -- Robin, for example, suggests it and it's an elegant solution for anyone who encounters a problem signing back on again.

I sign out each time simply so that only messages I haven't read appear when I click the View Posts Since Last Visit link. Assuming I've read all the current messages I want to.

I could get the same result by clicking the Mark all forums read link and then going to other sites.

Either way works.

Regards, Bob
no avatar
User

MikeH

Rank

Wine guru

Wed Mar 29, 2006 11:07 pm

Cincinnati

by MikeH » Thu Apr 05, 2007 12:02 am

Randy R wrote:Is anyone using bookmarks? If so, what is the URL of the bookmark you are using to "browse to" the forum? Are you clicking to the forum through the front page, or some other page?

Please satisfy my curiosity about this as a MIME is a terrible thing to waste.

I use a bookmark regularly and never need to log in. http://www.wineloverspage.com/forum/village/index.php
Cheers!
Mike
no avatar
User

MikeH

Rank

Wine guru

Wed Mar 29, 2006 11:07 pm

Cincinnati

by MikeH » Thu Apr 05, 2007 12:09 am

Bob Ross wrote:This morning my User Name and Password were present; if I do not sign in for a day or two, the User Name and Password blanks are empty, but my FF browser will fill them in if I enter the first character of the User Name.

Regards, Bob

Maybe History retention is set to only a few day?
Cheers!
Mike
no avatar
User

keith prothero

Rank

Wine geek

Tue Aug 15, 2006 11:21 am

UK and South Africa

by keith prothero » Thu Apr 05, 2007 9:55 am

Miracle after about 2 weeks of trying the system accepts my password and user name.
No idea what the problem is,and I hope it does not return as my patience is limited :twisted: and I always use a bookmark.
Previous