The place for all things wine, focused on serious wine discussions.

WTN: Three Make a Perfect Pair (Selbach, Pegau & Trimbach highlights)

Moderators: Jenise, Robin Garr, David M. Bueker

no avatar
User

David M. Bueker

Rank

Riesling Guru

Thu Mar 23, 2006 11:52 am

Connecticut

WTN: Three Make a Perfect Pair (Selbach, Pegau & Trimbach highlights)

by David M. Bueker » Mon Apr 02, 2007 8:20 am

Saturday night Laura and I got together with friends Thor & Theresa Iverson & david Cornwell for copious quantities of cheese and wine. I am not sure I can eat more raclette than I did Saturday night.

We went through many bottles, although we only finished four of them. We have slipped from our former stature.

With appetizers:

2001 Selbach-Oster Zeltinger Sonnenuhr Riesling Kabinett
No AP number required, as there was only one fuder of this wine produced in 2001. The 2001s are definitely coming out to play. The Selbach has some primary fruit, but also full secondary smoke and dried leaf aromatics. The baby fat is all gone, and now the vibrant structure is fully evident. The sugar has backed off, leaving a perfectly balanced, light bodied but full flavored mature wine. This is very mineral driven and just delicious right now.

We also had one of those Alsatian blended grand crus in here. I do not recall the producer, but the wine was pleasing but not as good as it would have been had it possessed a finish. For casual sipping I liked it a lot, but I was feeling much too geeky Saturday night.

NV Roger Pouillon Rosé Champagne
This initially smelled like fresh strawberries, but then the VA came out. On the palate the VA was fully evident and unpleasant. I have not had this experience before, so for now judgment reserved presuming bad bottle.

1998 Argyle Brut (I think there was a vineyard designation)
Served blind this had us guessing all over the place. Very soft and a bit sweet, the wine was pleasant but not earth shattering. I guessed Cremant d’Alsace. Enjoyable wine, but ultimately forgettable.

Moving to the table for copious quantities of cheese, we set into the reds (and some more whites).

2002 Bachelet Cotes de Nuits Villages
Bright, ripe cherry fruited nose, with a slight woodsy undertone suggesting the very beginnings of development. Sweet fruit on the palate is well balanced by acidity and again the beginnings of earthier elements. Very tasty wine in the making, but ultimately still in need of a couple more years of age.

1989 Pegau
Thanks to David Cornwell for providing this. I think sumptuous sums it up nicely. The wine was simultaneously mature but youthfully full of fruit, perfectly integrated and just beguiling to smell. Earth, dark fruit, smoke, tea – the list could go on forever. There’s still so much stuffing (and the tannin core to go with it) that even though this is lovely now it could go on and perhaps even improve for years to come. It must be a great red, as Laura even enjoyed smelling it (though it was ultimately too tannic for her white wine palate – ah well, more for the rest of us). The one flaw of this wine was the bottle size. We needed at least a liter, and more likely a magnum. I buy a few magnums and always wonder what to do with them, but this wine (as well as two others this night) defines the purpose for me. Buy great wine in magnum, age it to maturity, and there will be no problem drinking it.

1998 Muller-Catoir Haardter Mandelring Scheurebe Spatlese
Well the Scheu has finally come out to play. This is no longer tropical, but very, very Scheurebe. The grassy tones have come out, and the acids are more evident. It seems like a rather abrupt change, so with a few more bottles in the cellar I will be sure to check in to see if this is truly in decline. It’s still a very good drink, but not the tropical fruit riot it once was. I will also check in on the 2001, as I would hate to lose the exuberant fruit in that one.

1998 Trimbach Gewurztraminer Vendange Tardive
We had three wines of the night: the Selbach, the Pegau (the ultimate wine of the night), and this Trimbach. Alsace VT is so often goopy to my palate these days, but this was precise, focused and an essence of roses packed into a wine bottle. The lychee, nut and pineapple characteristics were pushed well into the background in favor of a riot of florality, with perceptible but gentle sweetness. A wonderful, elegant expression of Gewurztraminer, ever so welcome in a world where ham-fisted Gewurz rules the day. Thanks ever so much Thor & Theresa for this experience.

After a break, Thor, David and I went after one final wine. We shouldn’t have.

2005 J. P. Brun Beaujolais Fleurie
This is all promise right now. It’s tight, ungiving, packed with fruit but also lots of structure. The structure is what’s evident. Leave alone for a few years.

What a privilege it is to drink fine wine with good friends while sharing a lovely meal. To drink the Selbach, Pegau and Trimbach together in one night was a memorable experience, indeed one that I will remember for a long time to come.
Decisions are made by those who show up
no avatar
User

David Lole

Rank

Wine guru

Thu Mar 23, 2006 3:49 am

Canberra, Australia

Re: WTN: Three Make a Perfect Pair (Selbach, Pegau & Trimbach highlights)

by David Lole » Mon Apr 02, 2007 12:02 pm

Thanks for the great notes, David.

The only wine in there I know much about is the Trimbach Gewurtz VT - I love the house style here, too - elegant and restrained compared to many other Alsatian producer's who seemingly have moved to a sweeter and fatter style - might have something to do with more "points" in the hope of more bucks in their pockets. :wink: The longevity that Trimbach manages to achieve (most years) with their three late-picked whites can be simply awesome. IMHO, most need a minimum of ten years before being opened. Their 1988's, 1989's and 1990's are just humming along beautifully at the moment.

Please send my best wishes and kind regards to Theresa and Thor next time you're talking to either of them. I do miss them both. :(
Cheers,

David
no avatar
User

David M. Bueker

Rank

Riesling Guru

Connecticut

by David M. Bueker » Mon Apr 02, 2007 12:07 pm

The older I get the more I enjoy Trimbach. I used to be a big fan of ZH and wines of that style, but now I have to really struggle to find ways to use up my remaining bottles. Of course at the same time I keep wanting to age my Trimbachs just a little longer, so I don't really have anything to drink. :wink:
no avatar
User

Bill Hooper

Rank

Wine guru

Sat Mar 25, 2006 12:46 am

McMinnville, OR

by Bill Hooper » Mon Apr 02, 2007 11:54 pm

David M. Bueker wrote:The older I get the more I enjoy Trimbach. I used to be a big fan of ZH and wines of that style, but now I have to really struggle to find ways to use up my remaining bottles. Of course at the same time I keep wanting to age my Trimbachs just a little longer, so I don't really have anything to drink. :wink:

David, you can always send them to me... :D
Wein schenkt Freude
ITB paetrawine.com
no avatar
User

David M. Bueker

Rank

Riesling Guru

Connecticut

by David M. Bueker » Tue Apr 03, 2007 7:09 am

Bill Hooper wrote:
David M. Bueker wrote:The older I get the more I enjoy Trimbach. I used to be a big fan of ZH and wines of that style, but now I have to really struggle to find ways to use up my remaining bottles. Of course at the same time I keep wanting to age my Trimbachs just a little longer, so I don't really have anything to drink. :wink:

David, you can always send them to me... :D

Well I don't have to struggle that much... :wink:
no avatar
User

Dale Williams

Rank

Compassionate Connoisseur

Tue Mar 21, 2006 4:32 pm

Dobbs Ferry, NY (NYC metro)

by Dale Williams » Tue Apr 03, 2007 11:43 am

David M. Bueker wrote:2001 Selbach-Oster Zeltinger Sonnenuhr Riesling Kabinett

David, I have been eying my couple bottles of the Zeltinger Schlossberg Kab. Would you expect it on same level of maturity? Thought it really tight about 18 months ago (though tight offdry wines are never as unforgiving as those with no RS).
2002 Bachelet Cotes de Nuits Villages
Very tasty wine in the making, but ultimately still in need of a couple more years of age.

Thanks for update.

1998 Trimbach Gewurztraminer Vendange Tardive

Thanks, I thought I had this, but turns out its the Riesling VT (I do have the '97 of this, surprisingly young for vintage)
2005 J. P. Brun Beaujolais Fleurie
Leave alone for a few years.

Yessir!

Thanks for excellent notes
no avatar
User

David M. Bueker

Rank

Riesling Guru

Connecticut

by David M. Bueker » Tue Apr 03, 2007 11:50 am

Dale,

I have been stunned at the development of the 2001s in the last year. I would expect your Schlossberg Kabinett to be ready to go. Even some Spatlesen are getting into their drinking windows.
no avatar
User

Marc D

Rank

Wine guru

Wed Mar 29, 2006 6:44 pm

Bellingham WA

by Marc D » Tue Apr 03, 2007 1:38 pm

Thanks for the useful notes. You are sorely tempting me to break into my (too small) stash of 01 Rieslings.

The 05 Brun Cote de Brouilly has a lot of tannic structure also. The 04's are drinking great right now.

Best,
Marc
no avatar
User

David M. Bueker

Rank

Riesling Guru

Connecticut

by David M. Bueker » Tue Apr 03, 2007 1:54 pm

I only have the l'Ancien in '04. I bought Fleurie and Moulin-a-Vent in 2005, but I'm not touching any more of them any time soon. Of course now I'm desperately seeking a 2005 Beaujolais htat I can drink now (I presume the Coudert wines are also longish agers).

As for the '01s, if you only have a few, don't drink many. But if you have some kabinett do check in. It's due diligence time.
no avatar
User

JC (NC)

Rank

Lifelong Learner

Mon Mar 27, 2006 12:23 pm

Fayetteville, NC

by JC (NC) » Tue Apr 03, 2007 5:34 pm

Enjoyed the whole post David. I once led a small group of American females through the cobbled streets of Old Town Zurich to a Raclette hangout where I introduced them to this Valais dish and explained the "Gruss Gott" greeting we received from some Swiss soldiers at the neighboring table.

I am a fan of Trimbach Gewurz (although I think I have had the Vendange Tardive only once), Fleuie Beauolais (but haven't experienced the Brun) and Muller Catoir Mandelring Scheurebe (and I believe I have had the 1998 of this). So I was salivating throughout the reading of your notes.

I have also sampled Argyle sparkling wine and like some Argyle Pinot Noirs and some Selbach-Oster wines.
no avatar
User

Dale Williams

Rank

by Dale Williams » Tue Apr 03, 2007 6:02 pm

David M. Bueker wrote:Of course now I'm desperately seeking a 2005 Beaujolais htat I can drink now (I presume the Coudert wines are also longish agers).

I thought the '05 Vissoux Beaujolais VV (while bigger than average) was more accessible than others. I have both Coudert Fleuries, but haven't tried yet.
no avatar
User

David M. Bueker

Rank

Riesling Guru

Connecticut

by David M. Bueker » Wed Apr 04, 2007 7:01 am

Thanks Dale. I'll take a look (though may not buy, as I just scored two cases of '05 Clos de Briords at $90/case, so I'm drinking white wine this summer!)
no avatar
User

Dale Williams

Rank

by Dale Williams » Wed Apr 04, 2007 7:51 am

Great price on a great wine!