The place for all things wine, focused on serious wine discussions.

WTN: 2001 Giscours (Margaux)

Moderators: Jenise, Robin Garr, David M. Bueker

no avatar
User

Dale Williams

Rank

Compassionate Connoisseur

Tue Mar 21, 2006 4:32 pm

Dobbs Ferry, NY (NYC metro)

WTN: 2001 Giscours (Margaux)

by Dale Williams » Mon Apr 02, 2007 8:36 am

My turn to cook Sunday while Betsy was playing, rack of lamb was on sale so I got one to cut into (mostly) double chops. A garlic/parsley/rosemary marinade, then I was ready to grill. Unfortunately the clouds turned to rain 5 minutes before I was going to start grill, so I resorted to the no-turn in a skillet broiler method. Not quite grilling, but good, and the chops were enjoyed with broccoli, leftover quinoa, and salad.

Wine was the 2001 Ch. Giscours (Margaux). I wasn't especially expectant going in- a glass someone gave me last year was tight, light, and tannic. I gave this 90 minutes in decanter before dinner, turned out as a nice wine. Medium-bodied, ripe tannins present but not intrusive, very floral nose. Dominant fruit is blackcurrant, but as it opened in glass more of a crushed cherries aspect dancing on top. At opening the oak is a little high for my taste, more vanilla-driven than my wont. With time in decanter a more cedary edge that I find more attractive. There's a little tobacco and earth. I would think this will improve over the short-term, I'm marking 2010-2015 as my drinking targets for remaining bottles. B+

Grade disclaimer: I'm a very easy grader, basically A is an excellent wine, B a good wine, C mediocre. Anything below C means I wouldn't drink at a party where it was only choice. Furthermore, I offer no promises of objectivity, accuracy, and certainly not of consistency.
no avatar
User

Bob Parsons Alberta

Rank

aka Doris

Tue Mar 21, 2006 3:09 pm

Re: WTN: 2001 Giscours (Margaux)

by Bob Parsons Alberta » Mon Apr 02, 2007 8:51 am

Lamb and claret! Good match there Dale, sounds better than my crazy idea of Lamb Souvlaki and Chenin Blanc which I will post later!

Oh see here...........................

http://www.thewinedoctor.com/bordeaux/giscours.shtml