The place for all things wine, focused on serious wine discussions.

Austrian Rieslings: A good source for petrol/diesel aromas?

Moderators: Jenise, Robin Garr, David M. Bueker

no avatar
User

Paul B.

Rank

Hybrid Guru

Wed Mar 22, 2006 11:38 pm

Ontario, Canada

Austrian Rieslings: A good source for petrol/diesel aromas?

by Paul B. » Mon Apr 02, 2007 12:12 pm

I love Austrian wine, but I've admittedly not had enough Riesling from there to know at what point in a wine's evolution (if a rule indeed be formed) the petrol/diesel aromas begin to emerge - in youth, or with age. Are generalizations possible?

And, as an aside - in which country's/countries' Rieslings do you most regularly get this petrol aroma? In Ontario, one of my criticisms of Rieslings is that they seem to show this diesel aroma far too seldom; I'm very partial to it and I love it when I pour a Riesling and I get a glassful of wet stones and Mack truck. 8)
http://hybridwines.blogspot.ca
no avatar
User

Eric Ifune

Rank

Ultra geek

Wed Apr 05, 2006 3:51 pm

Las Vegas, NV and elsewhere

Re: Austrian Rieslings: A good source for petrol/diesel aromas?

by Eric Ifune » Mon Apr 02, 2007 12:27 pm

My experience is that bottle age makes the petrol come out. I've seen it most in Germans, next Alsace, and least in Austrians. Don't have enough experience with Australians to make generalizations.
no avatar
User

Saina

Rank

Musaroholic

Tue Mar 21, 2006 4:07 pm

Helsinki, Finland

Re: Austrian Rieslings: A good source for petrol/diesel arom

by Saina » Mon Apr 02, 2007 12:46 pm

I've usually had good luck with Australian rieslings. Often they turn petrolly at a very young age. Try to find some Pewsey Vale. It's a very decent drop for a very decent price and (usually) becomes petrolly after just a couple years in bottle.

-O-
I don't drink wine because of religious reasons ... only for other reasons.
no avatar
User

Paul B.

Rank

Hybrid Guru

Ontario, Canada

by Paul B. » Mon Apr 02, 2007 12:59 pm

Thanks, Otto.

I had a brief bout of dyslexia as I read your post: I thought, "Pewsey" sure doesn't sound Austrian ... and then I saw that you meant Australia :roll: :lol:
no avatar
User

Saina

Rank

Musaroholic

Tue Mar 21, 2006 4:07 pm

Helsinki, Finland

by Saina » Mon Apr 02, 2007 1:45 pm

Sorry Paul, I should have indicated that I was answering your "aside" question! :)
I don't drink wine because of religious reasons ... only for other reasons.
no avatar
User

Paul B.

Rank

Hybrid Guru

Ontario, Canada

by Paul B. » Mon Apr 02, 2007 2:13 pm

No worries, Otto! That little itty bit of dyslexia was all mine ... :wink:
no avatar
User

Bill Hooper

Rank

Wine guru

Sat Mar 25, 2006 12:46 am

McMinnville, OR

by Bill Hooper » Mon Apr 02, 2007 11:48 pm

Paul B. wrote:I love Austrian wine, but I've admittedly not had enough Riesling from there to know at what point in a wine's evolution (if a rule indeed be formed) the petrol/diesel aromas begin to emerge - in youth, or with age. Are generalizations possible?

And, as an aside - in which country's/countries' Rieslings do you most regularly get this petrol aroma? In Ontario, one of my criticisms of Rieslings is that they seem to show this diesel aroma far too seldom; I'm very partial to it and I love it when I pour a Riesling and I get a glassful of wet stones and Mack truck. 8)

I get diesel and petrol most often with Riesling grown in primary rock vineyards. The Wachau and Kamptal in Austria are abundant in these (and obviously in Germany and Alsace too). The flavors you're looking for Paul, can be found in Austrian GV as well, if perhaps not quite as focused, and maybe taking longer to develop. I think 'when' all comes down to vintage. Warmer years seem to favor these flavors and show them more quickly, wet ones like 2002 in Lower-Austria, not so much.
Wein schenkt Freude
ITB paetrawine.com
no avatar
User

Randy Buckner

Rank

Wine guru

Sun Mar 05, 2006 11:46 am

Puget Sound

by Randy Buckner » Tue Apr 03, 2007 3:38 pm

If you want a good example of petrol, get a bottle of riesling from the Erdener Treppchen Vineyard.