The place for all things wine, focused on serious wine discussions.

WTN: Bordeaux 2004 - Part I - Clerc Milon (Pauillac)

Moderators: Jenise, Robin Garr, David M. Bueker

no avatar
User

Saina

Rank

Musaroholic

Tue Mar 21, 2006 4:07 pm

Helsinki, Finland

WTN: Bordeaux 2004 - Part I - Clerc Milon (Pauillac)

by Saina » Mon Apr 02, 2007 1:43 pm

Clerc Milon 2004

Our monopoly recently got a couple '04s. Since everything I've read about the vintage (structured, acidic, leaner and more classical - seems the gist of what I've read) seems like it should be much to my taste, I decided to try the wines out. Though I do prefer my wines on the old side, I do find that even wines meant to age can be thrilling for the first couple years after release - this is my excuse for killing a baby.

I have now been enjoying the Clerc Milon for two days. This wine really does seem like a younger brother of Mouton. It has the same spicy and exotic, oaky nuances and dark toned, sweet and exotic fruit. Yet it isn't so refined nor apparently so Cabernet dominated. I haven't checked the cépage, but I wouldn't be surprised if this has quite a bit of Merlot in it. The oak is a bit forward now, but that's not surprising for a young Bordeaux. The oak isn't a superficially sweet, vanillary and vile concoction, so I might hazard a guess that it will integrate with time.

The palate started out very tannic and extracted and frankly more on the "modern" side than I would prefer. But just two hours in the decanter calmed that. Since then, the palate has been just lovely: by no means can this be called underfruited, yet it is a savoury and acidic style. Though it is a surprisingly approachable wine so young, I do consider it a rather masculine Pauillac. The aftertaste is very fresh.

I like this, and will probably buy another bottle or two to age.

-Otto-
I don't drink wine because of religious reasons ... only for other reasons.
no avatar
User

Brian K Miller

Rank

Passionate Arboisphile

Fri Aug 25, 2006 1:05 am

Northern California

Re: WTN: Bordeaux 2004 - Part I - Clerc Milon (Pauillac)

by Brian K Miller » Mon Apr 02, 2007 4:02 pm

Sounds nice. Hope I can find a bottle or two. "Savory" is the magic word!
...(Humans) are unique in our capacity to construct realities at utter odds with reality. Dogs dream and dolphins imagine, but only humans are deluded. –Jacob Bacharach
no avatar
User

Saina

Rank

Musaroholic

Tue Mar 21, 2006 4:07 pm

Helsinki, Finland

by Saina » Tue Apr 03, 2007 5:47 am

Brian K Miller wrote:Sounds nice. Hope I can find a bottle or two. "Savory" is the magic word!

Yes, I was happy to see it was so savoury. Yet just a word of warning. It's onto its third day open just now, and the chocolatey aspect to the oak is getting stronger. I guess this is normal in young Bordeaux - even such as these that have "only" 30% new oak. Since the oak doesn't swamp all other scents, I have faith it will integrate, but if you are more oak averse than I am, steer clear!

-O-
I don't drink wine because of religious reasons ... only for other reasons.
no avatar
User

Brian K Miller

Rank

Passionate Arboisphile

Fri Aug 25, 2006 1:05 am

Northern California

by Brian K Miller » Tue Apr 03, 2007 3:57 pm

I don't think there is ANYONE here MORE oak-averse than you, Otto.

:P
...(Humans) are unique in our capacity to construct realities at utter odds with reality. Dogs dream and dolphins imagine, but only humans are deluded. –Jacob Bacharach