The place for all things wine, focused on serious wine discussions.

One from the Marches

Moderators: Jenise, Robin Garr, David M. Bueker

no avatar
User

Dave Moritz

Rank

Wine geek

Sun Apr 23, 2006 11:50 pm

Baraboo, WI

One from the Marches

by Dave Moritz » Mon Apr 02, 2007 2:04 pm

WTN: 2001 Tenuta Cocci Grifoni "Le Torri" Rosso Piceno - Italy, Marches (4-1-2007) Alc. 13%; $13 retail; Imported by Empson.

Always on the lookout for a new tasting experience from Italy, I picked this up the other day at my favorite retail shop. Never had anything from the Marches before today.

The pure cedar bouquet unadulterated (!) by any fruit served as a lumber alert. Yet there is something on the nose that confirms its Italian origins. On the palate, there is a battle for dominance between the cedary oak and the tart cherry fruit flavor. Great mouthfeel. Good tannic phenols and acidity to balance the whole. To my tastes, it didn't speak of place - it could have come from Tuscany or Umbria as well as the Marches. I clearly had opened this a year or two too early, yet it was very good! Wish I had gotten more of this for the cellar.

Dave Mo
no avatar
User

Dan Donahue

Rank

Ultra geek

Thu Mar 23, 2006 5:02 pm

IL

Re: One from the Marches

by Dan Donahue » Mon Apr 02, 2007 2:16 pm

Dave--do you now what grape is used? Piceno? I haven't tried any Marche reds yet, but I sure do like Verdicchio.
no avatar
User

Hoke

Rank

Achieving Wine Immortality

Sat Apr 15, 2006 1:07 am

Portland, OR

Re: One from the Marches

by Hoke » Mon Apr 02, 2007 2:25 pm

Dan:

The Rosso Piceno is either Sangiovese, or a Sangiovese/Montepulciano blend. Both are allowed in the DOC.