The place for all things wine, focused on serious wine discussions.

WTN: Recent stuff (Brane Cantenac, Bunchgrass, Schlumberger, Maryhill)

Moderators: Jenise, Robin Garr, David M. Bueker

no avatar
User

Jenise

Rank

FLDG Dishwasher

Tue Mar 21, 2006 2:45 pm

The Pacific Northest Westest

WTN: Recent stuff (Brane Cantenac, Bunchgrass, Schlumberger, Maryhill)

by Jenise » Mon Apr 02, 2007 6:29 pm

No notes taken at the time, as is more my inclination lately for wines consumed at home, just lasting impressions:

79 Brane-Cantenac, Margaux
We absolutely wanted a Bordeaux with dinner, but the main course was a grilled veal chop with morel-asparagus risotto which called for a lighter style. The solution to that problem is a selection from the "Really Old and Possibly A Goner" corner of our cellar. This one filled the bill in every way. Not decanted. Medium red color with orange rim, and big, classic old Bordeaux nose with a touch of violet and rusted iron amid the red fruit, but on the mid-palate almost no fruit, just acidity. I spent the two hours the bottle lasted asking myself whether this wine was over the hill or simply insufficiently awake, and could not find conclusive evidence either way.

2000 Bunchgrass Red Wine, Washington State
We opened this red blend one night to enjoy with friends, thinking it would surely be ready to drink. And it had a very expressive black fruit nose, but on the palate it was all texture and no flavor: extracted, acidic. So I put the cork on the bottle and set it aside for the next day--and promptly forgot about it for about four. So imagine my surprise when I opened it and found it virtually unchanged from before. It was exactly the same wine. Don't know what to make of that, but I donated it to the rhododendrons.

1993 Schlumberger Cabernet Sauvignon Reserve, Dry Creek Valley (Sonoma)
Wine loving friends called and said they were showing up with a wheel of canned cheese (a joke I thought, but not so!), so I pulled this little gem from the cellar and had glasses waiting their arrival. Schlumberger is a winery (Brian Miller, are you listening?) that surprises me for not getting much airplay at all. Now I can understand why the California cult-chasers ignore it--these are very European styled wines--but I don't understand why Californians who appreciate the difference don't tout these wines loud and often. Purple-black color, no visible signs of age. Dusty cab nose, but also a ripe year Bordeaux kind of presence--that is, rich but not sweet fruit, big structure but stately. Fruit, acid, and tannins in harmonious balance, and ready to drink but should hold here for a couple years. Our friends, lifelong Californians until three years ago and whose own cellar is primarily Californian, were quite surprised to have a wine so good from a winery they'd never heard of.

2004 Maryhill Sauvignon Blanc, Columbia Valley, Washington
I don't know what's going on at this winery. In the past I've had a delicious zinfandel from them that was a model of restraint from an often untetherable grape, but contrast that with a goopy, cheesy Viognier. Now, a hideously undermanaged sauvignon blanc. And we're not talking ripe-sweet, there was nothing at all overtly ripe about the wine. Rather there is some grassiness in the nose which suggests they were on the right track at some point, but in the mouth it's cotton candy. Simple, saturated and SWEET. If there were a White Grape Rescue Association, I'd report these guys.
My wine shopping and I have never had a problem. Just a perpetual race between the bankruptcy court and Hell.--Rogov
no avatar
User

David M. Bueker

Rank

Riesling Guru

Thu Mar 23, 2006 11:52 am

Connecticut

Re: WTN: Recent stuff (Brane Cantenac, Bunchgrass, Schlumberger, Maryhill)

by David M. Bueker » Mon Apr 02, 2007 7:39 pm

An interesting group of wines. I would hardly know it was you except for the '79.
Decisions are made by those who show up
no avatar
User

Jenise

Rank

FLDG Dishwasher

by Jenise » Mon Apr 02, 2007 8:18 pm

Well, those weren't all in one evening but actually it's fairly representative of my wine life: there's what I love, what I have, and what I run into. Like most people on this board, I'm really pretty open-minded--within reason if it's well-made, I'll enjoy it. And if it's not, there's hell to pay. :twisted:
My wine shopping and I have never had a problem. Just a perpetual race between the bankruptcy court and Hell.--Rogov
no avatar
User

Brian K Miller

Rank

Passionate Arboisphile

Fri Aug 25, 2006 1:05 am

Northern California

by Brian K Miller » Tue Apr 03, 2007 12:01 am

The Schlumberger sounds intriguing. Dry Creek is a region that I have not actually spent a lot of time in (I usually start my bicycle rides in Windsor and don't get to Dry Creek until later in the afternoon-past drinking time)

I have had one good wine from there (Mazocco) that is very savory and delicious, but the few other Dry CFreek cabs I've tried have been over-extraced and caramelly and too much. So...thanks for the tip :!:
...(Humans) are unique in our capacity to construct realities at utter odds with reality. Dogs dream and dolphins imagine, but only humans are deluded. –Jacob Bacharach
no avatar
User

Marc D

Rank

Wine guru

Wed Mar 29, 2006 6:44 pm

Bellingham WA

by Marc D » Tue Apr 03, 2007 1:25 pm

Hi Jenise

You have reminded me that I have a couple of Bunchgrass wines in my closet. I looked and one is called "Founders Blend" that I think is a cab franc merlot mix and the other is a cab sauvignon. Was the one you drank the Founders Blend? I bought them from Compass in Anacortes a few years ago, and had forgotten about them. There was a fellow who posted on the previous WLDG who grew grapes for Bunchgrass, and I wanted to try the wines, but I never got around to it. Do you remember his name?

Regarding morels, I bought some beauties at Pike Place last Sunday, they were a very pretty light brown color and had good flavor. The lady at the farmers market said they were from around Shelton WA over on the peninsula. I love this time of year.

Best,
Marc
no avatar
User

Jenise

Rank

FLDG Dishwasher

by Jenise » Tue Apr 03, 2007 1:35 pm

Ah yes, I think it was the Founders Blend. From Compass too--if you paid 27.99, that's the one. Couldn't remember the exact name and the bottle had already gone to recycling, so thank you. Wierd wine. I don't know what further aging will do for it, but I would suggest that there's no point in opening your bottle now.

Scott...Winslow? If that's not exactly right it's very close. He's the grower you speak of.

Morels! I need to make a Seattle run. I let my stuff stack up at Garagiste then periodically run down and collect. Great excuse to shop at Pikes and beyond, especially on a great day like today. Gorgeous out, isn't it?