The place for all things wine, focused on serious wine discussions.

TN Napa Cabs

Moderators: Jenise, Robin Garr, David M. Bueker

no avatar
User

Victorwine

Rank

Wine guru

Thu May 18, 2006 9:51 pm

TN Napa Cabs

by Victorwine » Mon Apr 02, 2007 10:28 pm

TN Napa Cabs (Sat 3/31/07)

La Jota 2001 Howell Mt. Clear and brilliant ruby red color. Black cherries, raspberry, toasted almonds and hazelnuts with vanilla. Rich smooth “sweet” tannins and good balance and structure. Pleasant and long finish. (15; average score 14.8) $53.

Terra Valentine 2003 Spring Mt. Clear and brilliant ruby red color. Dark fruit, plum with a hint of spice, cedar, coffee and mocha. Pleasant and long aftertaste. (15; average score 14.8) $34

Baxter 2002 Rutherford. Clear ruby red color Rich vinous character on both the nose and palate. Most of the group couldn’t get past the alcohol (Hot). But under the vinous character I found very nice black fruit aromas and flavors and a nicely balanced and complex wine. Long and pleasant aftertaste. (16, average score 15.3) $50

Turnbull 2003 Oakville. Clear ruby red color. Age-worthy concentration and structure. (15; average score 14.4) $42

St Clement 2001 Napa. Dark ruby red color. Black cherry, spice, earthy with solid tannins, good balance and rich vinous character. Long and pleasant finish. (17; average score 15.2) $37

Chimney Rock 2003 Stags Leap. Deep garnet red color. Dark fruit aroma hints of smoke, coffee and mocha. (17; average score 15.3) $60

All the Napa Cabs were typical “Monster” California Cabs; definitely need some more time in the cellar to become more rounded. But all I kept on thinking about as I evaluated these wonderful wines was a juicy thick porterhouse or T-bone steak, double baked potato and peas and onions (that’s why I think my scores were generally higher than the group average).

To end the flight we were served a Calif Cab Port Wine;
Beringer (Port) 1999 Napa. Rich and fruity (Grandma’s cherry pie) with a hint of spice. IMHO a Calif Cab Sauvignon Port can’t get any better. (17; sorry no average score)

(Thanks Jackie, Bob, and Jean!)

Salute