The place for all things wine, focused on serious wine discussions.

WTN: Konyari 'Loliense' Blanc 2005 -Balatonelle, Hungary

Moderators: Jenise, Robin Garr, David M. Bueker

no avatar
User

Bill Hooper

Rank

Wine guru

Sat Mar 25, 2006 12:46 am

McMinnville, OR

WTN: Konyari 'Loliense' Blanc 2005 -Balatonelle, Hungary

by Bill Hooper » Mon Apr 02, 2007 11:31 pm

I can honestly say that I'm on a ten or eleven to zero run for kick-ass Hungarian wine. This is wonderful stuff! -Chardonnay, Sauvignon Blanc, and Olaszrizling. A little modern perhaps, but in the best possible way -clean, lively, mineral, and precise. I'm always looking for another up-and-coming contender to knock New Zealand Sauvignon Blanc face down in the gutter, and I've found another one! Citrusy, limeaidy, kiwi and underlying honeydew melon but much drier -sure, perhaps even a little gooseberry-quite acidic too. Much like a passionate kiss with a fuse-box. There is also a steely and salty mineral quality I like very much. VERY GOOD! I need to buy a Hungarian Flag...
12,5% Alc, $15
Wein schenkt Freude
ITB paetrawine.com
no avatar
User

Saina

Rank

Musaroholic

Tue Mar 21, 2006 4:07 pm

Helsinki, Finland

Re: WTN: Konyari 'Loliense' Blanc 2005 -Balatonelle, Hungar

by Saina » Tue Apr 03, 2007 5:55 am

Never heard of this producer - not surprising since nothing is written on these wines! Now that Austria seems to be "hip", those of us on a budget must turn to Slovenia and Hungary and pray that no one finds out how nice whites they make! :) I've recently been drinking quite a bit of Bátaapáti Estate Mőcsényi Zöldveltelini 2004, a really nice and fresh Grüner Veltliner! Can you get that where you are?

-o-
I don't drink wine because of religious reasons ... only for other reasons.
no avatar
User

Bill Hooper

Rank

Wine guru

Sat Mar 25, 2006 12:46 am

McMinnville, OR

by Bill Hooper » Tue Apr 03, 2007 4:06 pm

I have never seen it, but will certainly be on the look-out. On a related note, any luck finding Italian GV in Finlandia?
Wein schenkt Freude
ITB paetrawine.com
no avatar
User

Saina

Rank

Musaroholic

Tue Mar 21, 2006 4:07 pm

Helsinki, Finland

by Saina » Tue Apr 03, 2007 4:11 pm

Bill Hooper wrote:I have never seen it, but will certainly be on the look-out. On a related note, any luck finding Italian GV in Finlandia?

Nope. Not even one that I know of. :( But at least we have Sdricca di Manzano's decent Ribolla Gialla! :) Ribolla and GV have some rather similar tones don't they?

-O-
I don't drink wine because of religious reasons ... only for other reasons.