The place for all things wine, focused on serious wine discussions.

WTN: A surprisingly good 2003 German Riesling, etc.

Moderators: Jenise, Robin Garr, David M. Bueker

no avatar
User

Saina

Rank

Musaroholic

Tue Mar 21, 2006 4:07 pm

Helsinki, Finland

WTN: A surprisingly good 2003 German Riesling, etc.

by Saina » Tue Apr 03, 2007 3:35 pm

A good friend from Uni was over for a simple dinner of smoked salmon pasta (simple but IMHO always good). While making the food we finished off the Clerc Milon 2004 that I've been drinking over the past couple days. It's turned much too oaky/chocolatey, though the first two days it was quite lovely, fresh, acidic, very Claretty yet a masculine style of Pauillac.

Then we opened Alois Lageder's Pinot Grigio 2005 which was nice and mineral, yet had all the heavy fruit I expect from the grape. It was full bodied yet deceptively light and had a lovely mineral aftertaste. I wouldn't mind more acidity to it (even though it did stay fresh) - a wine full of contradictions. Nice!

I also opened up Robert Weil's Kiedrich Gräfenberg (errrrrr, why don't they print the -er after Kiedrich????) Riesling Spätlese 2003 with some cheeses. This is a wine that I was very fond of a couple years ago when it came to Alko. It seemed to defy the hot year and was fresh and complex and had plenty of grip. Then came a couple bottles in tastings that made me regret buying three bottles of it (more than two bottles is very rare for me) - they seemed much too advanced and soft. Since it has been over a year since I've last tried this, I wanted to try it again to see if I should get rid of the other two bottles.

I'm not going to get rid of them. This was pretty decent. The nose was surely rather ripe with its tropical and passionfruit notes, but it was still very pure Riesling. The palate isn't the most acidic wine but it had enough grip to keep it in balance. The 8% abv makes it light yet the fruit makes it fullbodied and the acidic (yes there is still enough of it) makes it again light. Thought it doesn't have the lightfooted elegance of a ballet-dancer, it is a very fair Riesling and I'm glad to have two more of them.

-Otto-
I don't drink wine because of religious reasons ... only for other reasons.
no avatar
User

David M. Bueker

Rank

Riesling Guru

Thu Mar 23, 2006 11:52 am

Connecticut

Re: WTN: A surprisingly good 2003 German Riesling, etc.

by David M. Bueker » Tue Apr 03, 2007 5:59 pm

Otto (or is it Geshtin),

Weil did a fine job with the materials he was handed in 2003. I'm slowly joining the camp that says wait on the 2003s, as they will shed sugar before they shed any of their meager acidity and come into better balance.
Decisions are made by those who show up
no avatar
User

Saina

Rank

Musaroholic

Helsinki, Finland

by Saina » Wed Apr 04, 2007 10:44 am

David M. Bueker wrote:Otto (or is it Geshtin),

Weil did a fine job with the materials he was handed in 2003. I'm slowly joining the camp that says wait on the 2003s, as they will shed sugar before they shed any of their meager acidity and come into better balance.

Ok, so I'll wait a decade before opening the two I have left. Which '03s have you recently had that make you think so?

-Ĝeshtin-
no avatar
User

David M. Bueker

Rank

Riesling Guru

Connecticut

by David M. Bueker » Wed Apr 04, 2007 11:44 am

I've actually been avoiding most of my own bottles, but I've had things from Selbach-Oster, Leitz and Donnhoff that have already shown a degree of slimming down.
no avatar
User

Saina

Rank

Musaroholic

Helsinki, Finland

by Saina » Thu Apr 05, 2007 2:50 pm

David M. Bueker wrote:I've actually been avoiding most of my own bottles, but I've had things from Selbach-Oster, Leitz and Donnhoff that have already shown a degree of slimming down.

Interesting. I feel a "trend" among acidheads that the vintage is shaping up better than initially expected. Any idea if Pfalz is showing better also?

-O-
no avatar
User

David M. Bueker

Rank

Riesling Guru

Connecticut

by David M. Bueker » Thu Apr 05, 2007 3:04 pm

Better than expected, but it will never, ever be a favorite.

I do not like much of anything from the Pfalz in 2003.