The place for all things wine, focused on serious wine discussions.

WTN: Boekenhoutskloof Syrah 2003 (South Africa)

Moderators: Jenise, Robin Garr, David M. Bueker

no avatar
User

Saina

Rank

Musaroholic

Tue Mar 21, 2006 4:07 pm

Helsinki, Finland

WTN: Boekenhoutskloof Syrah 2003 (South Africa)

by Saina » Thu Apr 05, 2007 3:36 pm

Tonight we had a little dinner with a fellow student from Uni who likes Shiraz (poor thing... ;) ). With some herbal and rather nicely spicy lamb (I hope I'll get the recipe - it was delicious, but my friend cooked and I brought the wine) I opened up a recent arrival to the newly opened special shop of Alko that will concentrate on wines. My friend liked this very much; I tolerated it even though it wasn't my style (no surprise with this friend - we never seem to see eye to eye on wines). Though not really my style, I do think it is an excellent example of its style, but I also think it is overpriced at nearly 40€ here!

• 2003 Boekenhoutskloof Syrah - South Africa, Coastal Region, Paarl, Franschhoek Valley (4/5/2007)
    Very dark. The nose is full on and very fruity. It has a typical Shiraz (rather than Syrah :-) ) nose of mulberry and even a touch of tar, but is very SA in its swamp-like* scent. It has fine depth and isn't marred by over-oaking**. The palate is big and fruity. There are some soft tannins bringing structure to it, but they are hidden under the fruit. The acidity is actually rather noticable though it isn't high. Unfortunately the 14,5% abv is noticable also. If you like the big and burly style, this will probably be a rather impressive wine. I would care more for an elegant style, however.

Posted from CellarTracker

* What is it about SA, that they so often smell like a swamp? I happen to like that, so I don't mind it at all, but where does it come from? Terroir, yeast, some other wine making decision .... ?

** Which is strange, as I was told by the salesperson that this sees a long period in oak. Is the oak old?

-O-
I don't drink wine because of religious reasons ... only for other reasons.
no avatar
User

keith prothero

Rank

Wine geek

Tue Aug 15, 2006 11:21 am

UK and South Africa

Re: WTN: Boekenhoutskloof Syrah 2003 (South Africa)

by keith prothero » Fri Apr 06, 2007 2:34 am

Nonsense.Cape wines do not smell of swamp---its all that dodgy Finnish herring you eat :o
The wine is kept in old French oak barrels for 27 months and this wine should not be drunk for at least another 5 years or so.
no avatar
User

Bob Parsons Alberta

Rank

aka Doris

Tue Mar 21, 2006 3:09 pm

by Bob Parsons Alberta » Fri Apr 06, 2007 9:58 am

Good notes on a wine that might need some more time eh. I recently tasted the `03 Quinta do Vale Dona Maria which had seen 23 months in oak. It had something going for it, but needs time. Not sure I understand the "swamp" note!!
no avatar
User

Jenise

Rank

FLDG Dishwasher

Tue Mar 21, 2006 2:45 pm

The Pacific Northest Westest

by Jenise » Fri Apr 06, 2007 11:03 am

Of course Keith knows more than I do about SA wines, but your description of 'swamp' amuses me. I don't doubt that you get that, but I can't imagine what causes you to identify what you get that way. Besides the wines in my own cellar, I run into South African wines at blind tastings in Vancouver frequently, and nothing that comes out of a swamp is the telltale giveaway. It's the acidity and traditionalness relative to the fruit, usually, that rules out California, Europe and Australia.

I quite like Boekhenhoutskloof wines. Keith, I have a 2000 Syrah--when should I plan to drink it?
My wine shopping and I have never had a problem. Just a perpetual race between the bankruptcy court and Hell.--Rogov
no avatar
User

Saina

Rank

Musaroholic

Helsinki, Finland

by Saina » Fri Apr 06, 2007 4:42 pm

Nonsense.Cape wines do not smell of swamp---its all that dodgy Finnish herring you eat.

Not sure I understand the "swamp" note!!

...but your description of 'swamp' amuses me.

Once we step outside of the very limited basic vocabulary of wine that is somewhat a commonly agreed upon jargon, we get into problems. Don't worry about it - it's only a word.

-O-
no avatar
User

Redwinger

Rank

Wine guru

Wed Mar 22, 2006 2:36 pm

Way Down South In Indiana, USA

by Redwinger » Fri Apr 06, 2007 6:41 pm

Hey Otto,
I've had a number of wines, none SA (I don"t drink many SA wines), which are characterized as "Dime Store Turtle Water*". Guess that is roughly equivalent to swampy.
Bill
* Descriptor courtesy of Kim Adams.
Smile, it gives your face something to do!
no avatar
User

keith prothero

Rank

Wine geek

Tue Aug 15, 2006 11:21 am

UK and South Africa

by keith prothero » Sat Apr 07, 2007 5:58 am

Jenise wrote:Of course Keith knows more than I do about SA wines, but your description of 'swamp' amuses me. I don't doubt that you get that, but I can't imagine what causes you to identify what you get that way. Besides the wines in my own cellar, I run into South African wines at blind tastings in Vancouver frequently, and nothing that comes out of a swamp is the telltale giveaway. It's the acidity and traditionalness relative to the fruit, usually, that rules out California, Europe and Australia.

I quite like Boekhenhoutskloof wines. Keith, I have a 2000 Syrah--when should I plan to drink it?

Marc Kent is a really outstanding winemaker,and I enjoy all his wines.
I think most people tend to drink Cape syrah far too young.
For example I will not touch any of my 2003 until at least another 5 years,and Jenise I would give the excellent 2000 perhaps another year or so .
Look out for the superb Raka Biography shiraz.This is a wine that can be enjoyed young,and I had the 2002 the other night,and was really impressed.The 2004 was recently voted the best red wine in South Africa,and although I do not think it is that good,Raka are a name to watch
no avatar
User

Bill Spohn

Rank

He put the 'bar' in 'barrister'

Tue Mar 21, 2006 7:31 pm

Vancouver BC

by Bill Spohn » Sat Apr 07, 2007 10:33 am

I've never experienced anything in these wines I'd have characterised as swampy, but a chacun son gout (maybe all the Musar has addled the palate, Otto? ;-)

Jenise, I'd leave the 2000 for another year or two. Play your cards right and you might taste one in the coming year.

My last note from last Fall:

2000 Boekenhoutskloof Syrah – this cape wine is expensive, hard to find, and worth the hunt. Blood and earth mixed with vanilla and cocoa in the nose and smooooth on palate with good length. Will improve. I’d like to see this put up blind in a Syrah tasting as it would be very difficult to place and might be mistaken for a Northern Rhone.
Last edited by Bill Spohn on Sat Apr 07, 2007 12:56 pm, edited 1 time in total.
no avatar
User

Saina

Rank

Musaroholic

Helsinki, Finland

by Saina » Sat Apr 07, 2007 12:27 pm

Bill Spohn wrote:I've never experienced anything in these wines I'd have characterised as swampy, but a chacin son gout (maybe all the Musar has addled the palate, Otto? ;-)

Or rather lack of Musar recently so my taste has become uncalibrated. :)