The place for all things wine, focused on serious wine discussions.

Well, it`s the Easter weekend, what`s gonna be opened?!!

Moderators: Jenise, Robin Garr, David M. Bueker

no avatar
User

Laura Brand-Bauer

Rank

Ultra geek

Wed Aug 30, 2006 1:05 pm

Hanover, Michigan

Re: Well, it`s the Easter weekend, what`s gonna be opened?!!

by Laura Brand-Bauer » Sat Apr 07, 2007 12:20 pm

There is a lot of wine made in Michigan! In fact, I live in the middle of what is called the "Pioneer Wine Trail." There seems to be a microclimate here that is good for grapes. I've heard it theorized that the heat from I-94 has something to do with it. Who knows?

For the most part, I haven't been overly enamored of Michigan wines. I had a couple of good rieslings from the Traverse City area. Some of the local sweeter whites and fruit wines are tasty. There is a lot that I haven't been exposed to yet, but I think it's only going to get better here. Maybe not this year with the vines getting frozen this week... :cry:

And my opinion is that if you're missing out on Washington syrahs, you're really missing out! When the poll about desert island wines was out, I picked "other" for Washington syrahs. If I had to, I could live with only that category to choose from.
no avatar
User

James Roscoe

Rank

Chat Prince

Wed Mar 22, 2006 6:43 pm

D.C. Metro Area - Maryland

by James Roscoe » Sat Apr 07, 2007 12:31 pm

Well, it`s the Easter weekend, what`s gonna be opened?!!

Wine, lots and lots of wine.
Yes, and how many deaths will it take 'til he knows
That too many people have died?
The answer, my friend, is blowin' in the wind
The answer is blowin' in the wind.
no avatar
User

Tom V

Rank

Ultra geek

Thu Jun 15, 2006 11:33 pm

nyc

by Tom V » Sat Apr 07, 2007 2:41 pm

Laura Brand-Bauer wrote:There is a lot of wine made in Michigan! In fact, I live in the middle of what is called the "Pioneer Wine Trail." There seems to be a microclimate here that is good for grapes. I've heard it theorized that the heat from I-94 has something to do with it. Who knows?

For the most part, I haven't been overly enamored of Michigan wines. I had a couple of good rieslings from the Traverse City area. Some of the local sweeter whites and fruit wines are tasty. There is a lot that I haven't been exposed to yet, but I think it's only going to get better here. Maybe not this year with the vines getting frozen this week... :cry:

And my opinion is that if you're missing out on Washington syrahs, you're really missing out! When the poll about desert island wines was out, I picked "other" for Washington syrahs. If I had to, I could live with only that category to choose from.

Well you've convinced me, I'll have to try some Washington syrahs.

I don't know how long they've been making wine in Michigan but having watched the Long Island NY wines evolve practically from the beginning, I know that it takes time for vines to mature, and to learn which grapes best suit a region and how best to make wine from those grapes.
Long Island wines are nothing like they were in the beginning or even 15 years ago, they've come a long way! So perhaps in the future Michigan wines will be similarly more impressive. Tom V
no avatar
User

Diane (Long Island)

Rank

Wine guru

Fri Apr 07, 2006 6:47 pm

by Diane (Long Island) » Sat Apr 07, 2007 4:52 pm

Tom - just for a second, I considered opening a Paumanok Assemblage from Long Island, but I'm keeping to my original idea of a 2003 Radio Coteau Pinot Noir for tonight's dinner of chicken in a mustard Cognac sauce. Tomorrow, we're cooking hanger steaks, and it will be a 1996 Canon La Gaffeliere.

Happy Easter everyone.

Tom V wrote:
Laura Brand-Bauer wrote:There is a lot of wine made in Michigan! In fact, I live in the middle of what is called the "Pioneer Wine Trail." There seems to be a microclimate here that is good for grapes. I've heard it theorized that the heat from I-94 has something to do with it. Who knows?

Well you've convinced me, I'll have to try some Washington syrahs.

I don't know how long they've been making wine in Michigan but having watched the Long Island NY wines evolve practically from the beginning, I know that it takes time for vines to mature, and to learn which grapes best suit a region and how best to make wine from those grapes.
Long Island wines are nothing like they were in the beginning or even 15 years ago, they've come a long way! So perhaps in the future Michigan wines will be similarly more impressive. Tom V
Diane
no avatar
User

Manuel Camblor

Rank

Ultra geek

Thu Mar 23, 2006 11:23 am

New York, NY

by Manuel Camblor » Sat Apr 07, 2007 7:37 pm

Well, does Pian de Ciampolo 2004 count for that "wine focus"? I've been opening things and only found out it was Easter weekend today. I also opened some 2005 Solomon "Kögl" Riesling, some 2005 Giacosa Roero Arneis yesterday with my parents, and will open some 2002 Ferrando Carema "White Label" tomorrow. Maybe I'll fo a 2005 Do Ferreiro Albariño, too. It's amazing, how much wine I'm consuming as a new father...
Best,

LL
no avatar
User

John Fiola

Rank

Ultra geek

Sun Mar 26, 2006 6:57 pm

Boston, MA

by John Fiola » Sat Apr 07, 2007 8:18 pm

I've got a Chassagne-Montrachet for the Red,
a Oremus Tokaji Dry for the white.

My family is mostly a red-wine family.
The Tokaji is probably the better of the two.
Cheers,
John
no avatar
User

Cynthia Wenslow

Rank

Pizza Princess

Mon Mar 27, 2006 9:32 pm

The Third Coast

by Cynthia Wenslow » Sat Apr 07, 2007 9:28 pm

Gruet Brut tonight to toast a friend who died last Sunday. We are doing a coordinated toast at 7 p.m. local time. So far it's passed from Eastern Europe to me, rolling around the globe. I like it.

Tomorrow I am a guest and am taking a Traminette we are all curious about, and a couple bottles of red that have yet to be selected.
no avatar
User

John Treder

Rank

Zinaholic

Thu Jun 29, 2006 10:03 pm

Santa Rosa, CA

by John Treder » Sat Apr 07, 2007 9:52 pm

Roast beef will be tomorrow. Around our house, Saturday means spaghetti.

Being out of opened reds, I dug out a wine that I characterize as:
Moderately tannic, cherry color, fresh aroma, moderate acidity, medium length, a prototypical spaghetti wine. Riper than any Chianti I've had, but far from overripe.

Were I guessing the price, I'd guess somewhere in the $15-20 range.

Ok, ok!

It's Red Robin Lane Sangiovese, 2000.

Red Robin Lane was a Folie a Deux second label that didn't "take", and when I was there in February 2004, they were selling off the leftovers.

It's "Napa Valley" grapes, and I paid a rousing $5 each for a few bottles, of which this is the last. It's made very much in the "Amador" style (surprise, surprise), and I was in no hurry to open this last bottle.
no avatar
User

Bob Parsons Alberta

Rank

aka Doris

Tue Mar 21, 2006 3:09 pm

by Bob Parsons Alberta » Sat Apr 07, 2007 10:25 pm

Manuel Camblor wrote:Well, does Pian de Ciampolo 2004 count for that "wine focus"? I've been opening things and only found out it was Easter weekend today. I also opened some 2005 Solomon "Kögl" Riesling, some 2005 Giacosa Roero Arneis yesterday with my parents, and will open some 2002 Ferrando Carema "White Label" tomorrow. Maybe I'll fo a 2005 Do Ferreiro Albariño, too. It's amazing, how much wine I'm consuming as a new father...

I would think the Pian qualifies. Is it ready?...... have just opened the `04 Triacca Bella Stento and it is really closed up.
Last edited by Bob Parsons Alberta on Sat Apr 07, 2007 10:42 pm, edited 1 time in total.
no avatar
User

Manuel Camblor

Rank

Ultra geek

New York, NY

by Manuel Camblor » Sat Apr 07, 2007 10:34 pm

Not ready at all, Bob. In fact, it seems to be shutting down triple-quick. Last night, with a mushroom risotto I put together because my parents were visiting and the babies (miraculously) decided to sleep a bit instead of hollering like the possessed, I had a chance to experience a couple of glasses over the course of a couple of hours, along with some other stuff. The wine is very tight and, frankly, only showing a fraction of what it can.

If you want Pian de Ciampolo for now, perhaps the '02...
Best,

LL
no avatar
User

Mark Lipton

Rank

Oenochemist

Wed Mar 22, 2006 1:18 pm

Indiana

by Mark Lipton » Sat Apr 07, 2007 10:44 pm

Manuel Camblor wrote: It's amazing, how much wine I'm consuming as a new father...

I agree, Manuel. Is Josie partaking of any? I ask because Jean didn't drink again until our son was about 4-5 months old, and she didn't take too kindly to me opening any bottle even remotely hinting of being any good. (Combined with her pregnancy, that year was good for our cellar, but bad for my wine consumption)

Mark Lipton
no avatar
User

Bob Parsons Alberta

Rank

aka Doris

Tue Mar 21, 2006 3:09 pm

by Bob Parsons Alberta » Sat Apr 07, 2007 10:45 pm

Manuel, my thoughts on the Triacca as well!! Been opened 2 hrs and poured 2 glasses into a mini decanter. Just starting to liven up somewhat but its tough out there in Chiantishire!!! I remember some big fanfare about the `02 Pian.
Have you seen Otto`s Tempranillo Open Mike idea, posted today?
Last edited by Bob Parsons Alberta on Sun Apr 08, 2007 8:06 am, edited 1 time in total.
no avatar
User

Manuel Camblor

Rank

Ultra geek

New York, NY

by Manuel Camblor » Sat Apr 07, 2007 10:55 pm

Nyet. I'm afraid taking care of twins allows me to look at one post per diem. Today, this was it. I will devote tomorrow's allowance to Otto's Tempranillo idea, I promise.

M.
Best,

LL
no avatar
User

Mike Filigenzi

Rank

Known for his fashionable hair

Mon Mar 20, 2006 4:43 pm

Sacramento, CA

by Mike Filigenzi » Sun Apr 08, 2007 2:06 am

We had a bottle of Mt. Aukum Marsanne to go with our upscale tuna noodle casserole this evening. Pretty good bottle of wine. It had that nutty marsanne nose, although it was a bit shy in the flavor department. Rather lean and crisp with just a hint of oily body, but it went well with the food.

Tomorrow, we'll be going to a friend's place for Easter brunch. We'll bring a couple of bottles of the stuff my pals and I make (a 2005 Sangio and a 2004 Syrah) along with something from Steve Edmunds for the wine geeks in attendance.

Mike
"People who love to eat are always the best people"

- Julia Child
no avatar
User

Manuel Camblor

Rank

Ultra geek

New York, NY

by Manuel Camblor » Sun Apr 08, 2007 8:44 am

Mark,

Julián and Sabina were born at 33 weeks (but without any complications whatsoever; they were home after only five days in the hospital), so they have some catching up to do. This involves a supplement of special hypercaloric formula with their breast-feeding regime. Conveniently, they get three formula feedings at night, which allow Josie to have a glass or two with dinner, since she's off milk duty for several hours and can process the alcohol before having to breast-feed again in the morning.

Of course, papa gets the "big half" of each bottle... :)
Best,

LL
no avatar
User

John Tomasso

Rank

Too Big to Fail

Tue Mar 21, 2006 4:27 pm

Buellton, CA

by John Tomasso » Sun Apr 08, 2007 9:00 am

Manuel Camblor wrote:Julián and Sabina were born at 33 weeks (

Manuel, somehow I missed this news - congratulations to you and Josie.
Double trouble! You're going to be a busy man.......
"I say: find cheap wines you like, and never underestimate their considerable charms." - David Rosengarten, "Taste"
no avatar
User

Manuel Camblor

Rank

Ultra geek

New York, NY

by Manuel Camblor » Sun Apr 08, 2007 9:10 am

I am a busy man, John...

Thanks.
Best,

LL
no avatar
User

Mark Lipton

Rank

Oenochemist

Wed Mar 22, 2006 1:18 pm

Indiana

by Mark Lipton » Sun Apr 08, 2007 12:55 pm

Manuel Camblor wrote:Mark,

Julián and Sabina were born at 33 weeks (but without any complications whatsoever; they were home after only five days in the hospital), so they have some catching up to do. This involves a supplement of special hypercaloric formula with their breast-feeding regime. Conveniently, they get three formula feedings at night, which allow Josie to have a glass or two with dinner, since she's off milk duty for several hours and can process the alcohol before having to breast-feed again in the morning.

Of course, papa gets the "big half" of each bottle... :)

That's a convenient arrangement for both of you. You deserve all the breaks you can get, having twins to look after.

Good luck!
Mark Lipton
no avatar
User

Manuel Camblor

Rank

Ultra geek

New York, NY

by Manuel Camblor » Sun Apr 08, 2007 12:57 pm

Doctor-approved, too!
Best,

LL
no avatar
User

Jenise

Rank

FLDG Dishwasher

Tue Mar 21, 2006 2:45 pm

The Pacific Northest Westest

by Jenise » Sun Apr 08, 2007 2:03 pm

Diane said:
1996 Canon La Gaffeliere.

Diane--please report after the fact; I have this wine and would love to read about how it's doing.
My wine shopping and I have never had a problem. Just a perpetual race between the bankruptcy court and Hell.--Rogov
no avatar
User

MikeH

Rank

Wine guru

Wed Mar 29, 2006 11:07 pm

Cincinnati

by MikeH » Sun Apr 08, 2007 3:54 pm

Its been a busy holiday weekend as far as wine consumption. Thursday night, dinner at a local Italian restaurant with our daughter, home from college. Consumed a Felsina Berardenga CC with dinner. Very nice.

Friday evening the three of us convened at a wine-friendly grille for a dinner of appetizers matched to a bottle of Samantha Starr Pinot Noir. Great food and a nice wine to go with it.

Saturday Cindy and I dined with 2 other couples prior to seeing The Lion King. Started with a bottle of Silverado (Miller Vineyard?) Sauvignon Blanc. Crisp and clean, aroma of gooseberries. Followed that with a bottle of Trimbach Riesling. Dry, no RS noticed. Both wines went well with our food.

Today looks like we are grilling pork tenderloin with green onion-jalapeno-ginger marinade. Probably pop a bottle of Lucien Albrecht Gewurz.
Last edited by MikeH on Tue Apr 10, 2007 12:59 am, edited 1 time in total.
Cheers!
Mike
no avatar
User

ClarkDGigHbr

Rank

Ultra geek

Sat May 06, 2006 7:16 pm

Gig Harbor, WA

by ClarkDGigHbr » Mon Apr 09, 2007 12:01 am

Since we spent the days prior to the weekend out in the Prosser & Tri-Cities areas of Washington, our car was loaded with (what else?) Washington wines.

Our daughter in-law prepared a wonderful rack of lamb, roasted with fresh rosemary and pecans, and served with a very tasty reduction sauce. I opened a 2002 Chandler Reach Parris Reserve Cabernet Franc to provide the juice for that sauce. Just before sitting down, I opened a 2005 Chinook Cabernet Franc, just because the styles of these two wines are so different. The bottle of Chinook was emptied first, despite the fact that we used a cup of the Chandler Reach in the sauce. In the end however, nothing went to waste. :D

We were treated to a delicious (lactose-free) white-and-black cheesecake served with fresh raspberries. We matched that with a bottle of 1999 Wind River Port of Celilo, a Columbia Valley wine made from Lemberger grapes.

-- Clark
no avatar
User

John Treder

Rank

Zinaholic

Thu Jun 29, 2006 10:03 pm

Santa Rosa, CA

by John Treder » Mon Apr 09, 2007 12:19 am

Easter Sunday has happened.

My brother and his wife and son joined Mom and me for dinner this evening, with roast beef, baked potato and green salad, with lemon meringue pie for dessert.

I decided to celebrate, and opened my bottle of Domaine Daniel Rion et Fils Nuits St. Georges Premier Cru "Les Vignes Rondes", 1999.

It's all gone.

A strong whiff of aged meat on opening, both in the bottle and on the nose of the test sip. A little darker in color than I expected, yet certainly PN in color, aromas after a couple of hours open, and taste. The meat remained in the mid-palate, and the wine gained a somewhat herbal opening - thyme and oregano. The finish either got longer or my tongue became more accustomed to the nuances of the flavor, because the last few sips were really long and complex. Oak and tannin, of course, but neither was obtrusive.

A great match for the beef, and by no means a waste of the $45.99 I paid for it back in January '03.

I'm beginning to understand why people like older Burgundy.
Previous