The place for all things wine, focused on serious wine discussions.

French Rabbit wines on the run

Moderators: Jenise, Robin Garr, David M. Bueker

no avatar
User

Eve Lejeune

Rank

Wine geek

Wed Mar 22, 2006 7:39 am

Paris, France

French Rabbit wines on the run

by Eve Lejeune » Fri Apr 06, 2007 11:07 am

Hello,

Did you hear about the French Rabbit wines of Boisset? Did you try them? They want to launch them in France - new environment friendly packaging, bright colors and varietal wines. I didn't see them while in the States and couldn't taste them. I'm curious!

Happy easter!
Eve
no avatar
User

Joel Sprague

Rank

Wine geek

Tue Oct 17, 2006 10:21 am

Re: French Rabbit wines on the run

by Joel Sprague » Fri Apr 06, 2007 11:39 am

Those would be the ones in the 1L cartons? Parents picked some up while in Minnesota I believe (least, they had it with them when they got back from trip up that way). Mom got it because outdoor theatre doesn't allow glass containers. She got a container of their merlot. Said it was passable, not bad at all, but certainly not great. Not a huge amount of complexity, but then most people buying wine in a 1L carton probably aren't expecting that. :)
in vino veritas
no avatar
User

Eve Lejeune

Rank

Wine geek

Paris, France

by Eve Lejeune » Fri Apr 06, 2007 11:42 am

Joel Sprague wrote:Those would be the ones in the 1L cartons? Parents picked some up while in Minnesota I believe Not a huge amount of complexity, but then most people buying wine in a 1L carton probably aren't expecting that. :)

That's it! Thanks for this input. Indeed you would NOT expect high quality wines in tetrapack but if they're good enough for a barbecue or a casual dinner, that's fine;

Does your Mom remember in what store she got her bottle? Was it a supermarket? And where in Minnesota? My husband is from Minneapolis and we do shop around!
no avatar
User

Robin Garr

Rank

Forum Janitor

Fri Feb 17, 2006 1:44 pm

Louisville, KY

by Robin Garr » Fri Apr 06, 2007 3:19 pm

Eve Lejeune wrote:Does your Mom remember in what store she got her bottle? Was it a supermarket? And where in Minnesota? My husband is from Minneapolis and we do shop around!

Eve, I'm pretty sure I've seen them for sale in Louisville, but I have not yet been tempted ...
no avatar
User

michael dietrich

Rank

Ultra geek

Wed May 10, 2006 5:09 pm

West Linn, Oregon

by michael dietrich » Sat Apr 07, 2007 11:14 am

I think that if you went to a distionary and looked up "plonk" it would reference French Rabbit. I think the package is a great idea. I tasted through their wines about 8 months ago. None of the wines were flawed but they just did not have much flavor. They also had a Pinot Noir but it did not taste like Pinot. I would love to see someone put some real wine in them, maybe New Zealand Sauv Blanc or Pinot Noir. I have also tasted some good southern France wines that would be great. Here in Oregon the French Rabbits sell for $10 for the 1 liter.
no avatar
User

Eve Lejeune

Rank

Wine geek

Paris, France

by Eve Lejeune » Sat Apr 07, 2007 12:36 pm

michael dietrich wrote:I think that if you went to a distionary and looked up "plonk" it would reference French Rabbit. I think the package is a great idea. I tasted through their wines about 8 months ago. None of the wines were flawed but they just did not have much flavor. They also had a Pinot Noir but it did not taste like Pinot. I would love to see someone put some real wine in them, maybe New Zealand Sauv Blanc or Pinot Noir. I have also tasted some good southern France wines that would be great. Here in Oregon the French Rabbits sell for $10 for the 1 liter.

Thank you for this review. It's too bad the wine is not good since the idea is good. Boisset produces a lot of good wines and it wouldn't hurt to put some in their original packages.
no avatar
User

Eve Lejeune

Rank

Wine geek

Paris, France

by Eve Lejeune » Sat Apr 07, 2007 12:36 pm

Robin Garr wrote: Eve, I'm pretty sure I've seen them for sale in Louisville, but I have not yet been tempted ...

If we believe Michael, you're a wise man!