The place for all things wine, focused on serious wine discussions.

WTN: Fun White Wines from Australia, Central Coast, and Livermore

Moderators: Jenise, Robin Garr, David M. Bueker

no avatar
User

Brian K Miller

Rank

Passionate Arboisphile

Fri Aug 25, 2006 1:05 am

Northern California

WTN: Fun White Wines from Australia, Central Coast, and Livermore

by Brian K Miller » Fri Apr 06, 2007 11:11 pm

I did not like any of the local Wine Styles reds this week (a horrible sweet and hot blend, a Burgundy that tastes like bargain blend Carneros Pinot, and a cab that somehow combines heat, strong vegetal character, and too much oak. I'm not liking any Knight's Valley Cabs I've tried!)

Luckily, the white wines this week are much better. The Tolosa Chardonnay (2005) is crisp and clean and rather simple-but done all in steel. I liked it ok. **1/2

Yalumbe Viogne 2005 South Australia?

Not a profound or complex wine at all, but I'm kinda a newbie whn eit comes to whites, so. ..

Golden straw color, somewhat warm nose. I love the floral notes on the nose and the palette. The shop owner suggested lilacs? Definitely creamy tropical and citrus fruits. I quite enjoyed this-and for $11 at WineStyles, ($5.00 for a generous glass) I'll drink it again. ***

Also tried a sample of the 2005 Murrietta's Well White Meritage. Definitely a more complex and interesting wine (at twice the price :( ) Light color. Very crisp and steely on the palette. I doubt this got much (if any) oak) Light and lively character, but wait...there's an intersting SAVORY finish on the palette that elevates the wine above the simple quaffer from Yalumba. $24, which I would pay. ****
...(Humans) are unique in our capacity to construct realities at utter odds with reality. Dogs dream and dolphins imagine, but only humans are deluded. –Jacob Bacharach