The place for all things wine, focused on serious wine discussions.

Trip to Baltimore

Moderators: Jenise, Robin Garr, David M. Bueker

no avatar
User

Lori R

Rank

Just got here

Sun Apr 08, 2007 4:54 pm

Louisville, KY

Trip to Baltimore

by Lori R » Sun Apr 08, 2007 8:02 pm

Hello!
I was unsure of where to post this, so hope this spot is OK.

I am taking hubby away for a little get-away weekend to Baltimore next month. I was wondering if anyone could make a recommendation on a nice, but not over-the-top restaurant to go to one night near the harbor area.

Also, any good spots that "tourists" might not otherwise know about?

Thanks so much!
no avatar
User

Robin Garr

Rank

Forum Janitor

Fri Feb 17, 2006 1:44 pm

Louisville, KY

Re: Trip to Baltimore

by Robin Garr » Mon Apr 09, 2007 7:20 am

Hi, Lori ... ultimately, the Wine Travel section would be ideal for this, and ultimately I'll move it there. Since you're in a hurry, though, I'll put it in the main Wine Forum for now in order to give it the widest exposure. I know we have some Baltimoreans around, so you should get some good advice soon!
no avatar
User

David M. Bueker

Rank

Riesling Guru

Thu Mar 23, 2006 11:52 am

Connecticut

by David M. Bueker » Mon Apr 09, 2007 7:27 am

Not sure what your threshold is for over the top, but Charleston is (to my taste) the best restaurant in town. It's down by the harbor area towards Fells Point.
Decisions are made by those who show up
no avatar
User

Bruce K

Rank

Wine guru

Thu Mar 23, 2006 6:06 pm

by Bruce K » Mon Apr 09, 2007 9:46 am

It depends on what you're looking for -- and this may not be what you have in mind -- but my favorite place to eat in Baltimore has long been Ikaros, a great old-fashioned Greek restaurant in Greektown, about a 10-minute drive east of downtown. It's been awhile since I've been there so I don't know if the quality has changed and one reason why I like it is because there are relatively few authentic Greek restaurants in the D.C. area, where I live, so you should keep those caveats in mind. You can also go to little Italy, just immediately to the east of the Inner Harbor area, or to Fell's Point, just a little beyond that, where there are a bunch of good bars and restaurants including Bertha's Mussels, a Baltimore classic.
no avatar
User

Clinton Macsherry

Rank

Ultra geek

Tue Mar 28, 2006 1:50 pm

Baltimore MD

by Clinton Macsherry » Tue Apr 10, 2007 12:39 pm

Lori--
You've gotten a couple of good replies already, but I'd add a caution or two. Charleston is truly outstanding, but it has become exceedingly pricey. Baltimore has a bevy of fine Greek restaurants, but they are clustered in an ethnic neighborhood about five miles from the Inner Harbor. If you can give me a slightly clearer idea of your preferences, I'd be happy to come up with some more specific recommendations (with the caveat that I don't eat out as much as I used to). Are you averse to some of the franchises like Roy's, Oceanaire, Fleming's, et al? Rather go with small, semi-casual, or linens and Reidel? How important is the wine list, and what are you preferences there? Where you're staying is also a factor--for me, at least, when I'm out of town, walking distance to a restaurant is ideal. As of today, I'll be able check in here much more often than I have in the past three months. Feel free to PM me.
FEAR THE TURTLE ! ! !
no avatar
User

Clinton Macsherry

Rank

Ultra geek

Tue Mar 28, 2006 1:50 pm

Baltimore MD

by Clinton Macsherry » Wed Apr 11, 2007 10:38 am

Lori--

A few thoughts before I go offline for a few days. The same people who run Charleston also run the nearby Pazo, a wonderfully restored old port warehouse in the bustling Harbor East neighborhood. Menu is Mediterranean rim and quite reasonably priced. Wine list also quite reasonable with several off-the-beaten-path selections from Sardinia, South America, etc. Go before 10 pm, when it turns noisily and tragically hip.

If you're staying in the downtown / Inner Harbor area and you want to explore somewhat less touristy areas, be sure to walk through two partly restored, partly funky urban neighborhoods: Fells Point to the east and Federal Hill to the south. Both are anchored by old municipal markets, with stalls occupied by butchers, fishmongers, and more yuppified merchants (cheese, frou-frou coffee, ...).

Federal Hill's market has a superb raw bar--now serving a fair amount of sushi, of course--called Nick's. Also in the neighborhood is a pretty good wine-centric restaurant, Corks (all-American list, though), and a new wine bar, The Vine, which I'm told has good unpretentious small-plate food. Bicycle has always done a wonderful job with seasonal American region specials, and it's maintained its approach and its following despite a recent change in chefs. They have a pretty good 20-bottles-for-under-$20 list as well as spendier bottles. A short cab ride away in the Locust Point neighborhood is the Wine Market, a superb, moderately priced, regional American restaurant attached to a wine shop. I highly recommend it, though it violates my walking-distance rule.

In Fells Point, try the Black Olive. It's one of new wave of upscale Greek restaurants in town and it's a bit pricey (especially compared to the traditional tabernas like Ikaros, which Bruce mentioned.) But the seafood is impeccable, and the kitchen seems pretty committed to top ingredients lightly but deftly handled. Wine list has a fine Greek selection to go with a well chosen list from more familiar areas. Timothy Dean Bistro is run by a guy who sous-cheffed at Jean-Louis in D.C. and does a neat American take on some bistro classics as well as fancier fare. Wine list is primarily American with a bunch of South Africans thrown in, a deliberate attempt to support that country's wine industry. There's also Pierpoint, run by a chef who approaches local celebrity status, which does a nice job with nouvelle Chesapeake--smoked crabcakes, silky Eastern Shore Silver Queen corn chowder, a "Baltimore bento box" with variously Asian-inflected regional goodies. Haven't been in some time, so can't speak to their wine list.

Again, if you'd like, let me know a bit more about your preferences and I'll try to come up with some other ideas. Hope you enjoy it here whatever you choose to do.
FEAR THE TURTLE ! ! !
no avatar
User

R. W. Davis

Rank

Just got here

Wed Apr 11, 2007 3:53 pm

by R. W. Davis » Wed Apr 11, 2007 4:39 pm

Lori,
You may want to try here:

http://www.abacrombie.net/

Abercrombie is very nice place that won't empty you wallet the way Charlseton will. The last time I ate at Charleston the table next to us appeared to be tourists in short/t-shirts/ and crying baby.
Bob
no avatar
User

JC (NC)

Rank

Lifelong Learner

Mon Mar 27, 2006 12:23 pm

Fayetteville, NC

by JC (NC) » Wed Apr 11, 2007 5:18 pm

Charleston has one of the more extensive wines by the glass lists. In Little Italy I like Bocaccio (Pavarotti has dined there). and in Greektown I like Samos on Oldham Street about a block off Eastern Avenue. The sample Greek platter (plenty of food!) is only $18.95 per person and it is a bring your own bottle restaurant with corkage of $2.00 per person! I also like Black Olive in Fell's Point which Clinton recommended. There are some other fun or funky places in Fell's Point if you want to stroll around and decide on the spur of the moment. I have had seafood at City Lights overlooking the harbor if that view appeals to you (probably not the best food in town).

Baltimore has the National Aquarium worth a visit. Also a good art museum. If the weather is nice, the water taxi is a fun method of transport from the Inner Harbor to Fell's Point or other stops. Camden Yards is a very nice ballpark if you want to take in an Orioles game.
no avatar
User

Bob Henrick

Rank

Kamado Kommander

Thu Mar 23, 2006 7:35 pm

Lexington, Ky.

by Bob Henrick » Wed Apr 11, 2007 5:46 pm

Lori, I have never been to Baltimore in my life so I can not offer eating advice. But, I wanted to say that you have landed amongst some of the most friendly people on earth. and if you are into wine at all, I want to say that we hope that you and hubby will stay around after you go to Baltimore and tell us how it went. then lets talk wine.
Bob Henrick
no avatar
User

James Roscoe

Rank

Chat Prince

Wed Mar 22, 2006 6:43 pm

D.C. Metro Area - Maryland

by James Roscoe » Wed Apr 11, 2007 8:03 pm

Welcome to the WLDG Lori! I am a local, and would second most of what has been said above. If you are venturing out of town, Iron Bridge in Columbia is the best wine bar in the area. Also Annapolis is a very food friendly town with some great spots like La Normandie and Carrol's Creek.
Yes, and how many deaths will it take 'til he knows
That too many people have died?
The answer, my friend, is blowin' in the wind
The answer is blowin' in the wind.
no avatar
User

Lori R

Rank

Just got here

Sun Apr 08, 2007 4:54 pm

Louisville, KY

by Lori R » Wed Apr 11, 2007 9:20 pm

WOW! Just checking back and thrilled with all the feedback! I will try to answer all the questions asked....
First...YES! Love wine...always learning more and more about it. I should also mention that my sister and her husband are now joining us...she is also surprising her husband with a weekend getaway too. So, we have three wine lovers and one rum drinker. However, I am sure he (BIL rum drinker) can be accomodated at any restaurant. For our first night there we are looking for a "linens" type of restuarant....get all gussied up and have a fantastic evening. Sister and BIL will be celebrating 15 years married. The other nights (we will be there 3 nights) we'll go for more casual.
I am not opposed to the franchise restaurants (Roy's, etc) but would prefer to dine at a locally owned restaurant. (Have had excellent meals at Roy's many times). Since BIL is a "steak-n-potaoes" kind of guy, and the rest of us enjoy just about anything-- a restuarant that offers a little of everything would be great. I personally love seafood!
I'm going to have to print out all these responses and look up the menus and locations. My sister made reservations for us today at a hotel. Apparently we are late to the game....our first top 3 or 4 were completely booked! I think we are staying at the Marriott/Camden Yards...but I will have to confirm that with her.

Another question....is it possible to do a day trip to Washington DC from Baltimore? Is there a train or shuttle? Appreciate any advice.

Thank you all so much!
no avatar
User

Bruce K

Rank

Wine guru

Thu Mar 23, 2006 6:06 pm

by Bruce K » Thu Apr 12, 2007 9:14 am

is it possible to do a day trip to Washington DC from Baltimore? Is there a train or shuttle? Appreciate any advice.

Yes, quite easily -- we're just talking 35 miles or so. Amtrak and MARC run lots of trains between Penn Station in Baltimore (on the northern edge of downtown Baltimore, perhaps a mile or two from your hotel) and Union Station in D.C. (three or so blocks from the U.S. Capitol). On average, there should be at least two trains per hour in each direction.

MARC (the local commuter operation) also runs trains to Union Station from Camden Station right outside Camden Yards, making it more convenient from your hotel, but the number of trains is far fewer and more on a commuter-type schedule. You should check MARC's website to see whether that would work.

Once you're in D.C., between walking (it's smaller than you might think geographically) and the metro, you can go just about anywhere you want.
no avatar
User

James Roscoe

Rank

Chat Prince

Wed Mar 22, 2006 6:43 pm

D.C. Metro Area - Maryland

by James Roscoe » Thu Apr 12, 2007 4:25 pm

Bruce K wrote:
is it possible to do a day trip to Washington DC from Baltimore? Is there a train or shuttle? Appreciate any advice.

Yes, quite easily -- we're just talking 35 miles or so. Amtrak and MARC run lots of trains between Penn Station in Baltimore (on the northern edge of downtown Baltimore, perhaps a mile or two from your hotel) and Union Station in D.C. (three or so blocks from the U.S. Capitol). On average, there should be at least two trains per hour in each direction.

MARC (the local commuter operation) also runs trains to Union Station from Camden Station right outside Camden Yards, making it more convenient from your hotel, but the number of trains is far fewer and more on a commuter-type schedule. You should check MARC's website to see whether that would work.

Once you're in D.C., between walking (it's smaller than you might think geographically) and the metro, you can go just about anywhere you want.

Some of the better restaurants are up in Adams Morgan and Cleveland Park requiring a metro ride. An all-day ride is around $5. Well worth the price of admission.
Yes, and how many deaths will it take 'til he knows
That too many people have died?
The answer, my friend, is blowin' in the wind
The answer is blowin' in the wind.