The place for all things wine, focused on serious wine discussions.

WTN: Easter Wines (Riesling, Muscat, Lagrein, PN, Tempranillo, Bdx blend)

Moderators: Jenise, Robin Garr, David M. Bueker

no avatar
User

Dale Williams

Rank

Compassionate Connoisseur

Tue Mar 21, 2006 4:32 pm

Dobbs Ferry, NY (NYC metro)

WTN: Easter Wines (Riesling, Muscat, Lagrein, PN, Tempranillo, Bdx blend)

by Dale Williams » Mon Apr 09, 2007 9:36 am

Easter Sunday Betsy played the matinee, I went to her sister's for a big party (she joined at end). Lots of old friends there, kids having a ball with Easter egg hunt even though it was unseasonably cold, good food, ping pong. There were a variety of wines, some the host had put out and some that people had brought. Not every wine got opened- I felt it bad manners to open without host's invite when there were several open bottles on table. For me that was a mixed disappointment (1998 La Fleur du Bouard) and relief (a wine from NJ called Almondique: "American white table flavored with almonds, caramel coloring added"). OK, I admit I had a morbid curiosity re the latter. I didn't try every wine that WAS opened, but I did try:

2001 Schmitt Niersteiner Hipping Riesling Spätlese (Rheinhessen)
Showing rounder than most 2001s, apple and plum fruit dominate with only a faint mineral note. Pleasant enough. B/B-

2002 Cora Muscat (Penedes)
I'll admit I'm not generally a fan of dry Muscat, although there have been a few (Austrian and Alsace) that I've enjoyed. This is a reminder that I'm not generally a fan. Floral nose that reminds me a bit of cheap perfume, grapey on the palate. A little hint of "oak-chippy" vanilla. Low acid, low interest. C/C+

2005 Bailly "Les Loges" Pouilly-Fume

Citrus fruit with little notes of catpee/gooseberry, a bit of grass. Good acidity, good ripeness, nice if not exciting. B

2003 Ercavio Tempranillo Roble (Tierra de Castlla)
Big jammy fruit, very ripe dark berries with a smooth creamy texture. Not much oak evident, this is all about the fruit. I'd probably have guessed a blend of typically Rhone grapes blind, reminds me of a Tardieu-Laurent Rhone though not as oaky. Not my favorite style, but well-done and very popular. B

2004 Campo Viejo Rioja Crianza
Fairly light bodied, all red berries (especially raspberry). Clean, OK sipper, though very short on finish. B-

2002 Marchal "Cuvee Gravel" Bourgogne
Lovely cherry and raspberry fruit with a sense of purity, fruit sweetness beautifully balanced by firms acids. Very light tannins remaining. nice finish. This bottle was drained fast, but got one more pour from bottom that I nursed, more earthy/mushroom than on opening. Very very nice for level. B+/A-

1996 Ch. Le Crock (St Estephe)

I almost skipped this, having had a few times and found hard and charmless. But this was a pleasant surprise- fruit much more appealing than in past. Black and red currants, an overlay of cigarbox and leather. Not enough density or length to be a great Bordeaux, but as the tannins have integrated a much nicer wine than before. B+

Since Betsy was unsure how much food would be left when she got to party, and also felt that Easter needs ham (her sister's family are pesce-vegetarians, and the potluck bringers all knew that), I had put a ham in the oven with timer start. After party we came home, chilled out for a while, then I made potato salad and some broccoli. The ham wine was the 2005 Muri-Gries Lagrein Rosato (Alto Adige). I was a little hesitant buying this, having found some Muri-Gries wines a bit more international than my tastes. But this was a pleasant surprise, big bright strawberry fruit, a bit more gravitas than I expect in a rose. Good acidity, good length. Worked well with the ham; though this is maybe a little fuller than what I look for in a summer-by-the-river sipper, I'll probably get some more. Good qpr at under $10. B/B+

Grade disclaimer: I'm a very easy grader, basically A is an excellent wine, B a good wine, C mediocre. Anything below C means I wouldn't drink at a party where it was only choice. Furthermore, I offer no promises of objectivity, accuracy, and certainly not of consistency.
no avatar
User

Dale Williams

Rank

Re: WTN: Easter Wines (Riesling, Muscat, Lagrein, PN, Tempranillo, Bdx blend)

by Dale Williams » Tue Apr 10, 2007 9:44 am

I found my scribbles from Easter, left out 2 wines:

1999 Ch. La Roque "Cupa Numismae" Pic St.-Loup
First wine I tasted, and surprised I forgot it. Big impressive wine, a little bacon/grilled meat over big berry fruit. Tannins perceptible but round, good finish. This needed some rare beef, but it was a pesce-vegetarian party. B+/B

2004 2004 Eugen Muller Forster Mariengarten Kabinett
Nose of lemon and flowers, on the palate gauva & mango with a squirt of citrus. Good acidity, maybe a tad short. B
no avatar
User

Saina

Rank

Musaroholic

Tue Mar 21, 2006 4:07 pm

Helsinki, Finland

Re: WTN: Easter Wines (Riesling, Muscat, Lagrein, PN, Tempra

by Saina » Tue Apr 10, 2007 4:41 pm

Dale Williams wrote:I'll admit I'm not generally a fan of dry Muscat, although there have been a few (Austrian and Alsace) that I've enjoyed.

No Palatinate examples found your favour?
I don't drink wine because of religious reasons ... only for other reasons.
no avatar
User

Dale Williams

Rank

by Dale Williams » Tue Apr 10, 2007 4:55 pm

Otto,
now that you mention it I think someone (Jay?) brought a very good Muller-Catoir Muskateller to an offline once. Still, I generally prefer my Muscat to be in a dessert wine (and even there for me it comes behind Riesling, Chenin Blanc, Semillon, etc).
no avatar
User

David M. Bueker

Rank

Riesling Guru

Thu Mar 23, 2006 11:52 am

Connecticut

by David M. Bueker » Tue Apr 10, 2007 5:04 pm

There is a really nice 2005 Muscat Kabinett Trocken from Kurt Darting in the Pfalz.
Decisions are made by those who show up