The place for all things wine, focused on serious wine discussions.

WTN: The Noland Brothers do "Dealers Choice Red" Long

Moderators: Jenise, Robin Garr, David M. Bueker

no avatar
User

Tom N.

Rank

Wine guru

Thu Mar 23, 2006 10:17 pm

Soo, Ont.

WTN: The Noland Brothers do "Dealers Choice Red" Long

by Tom N. » Mon Apr 09, 2007 11:30 pm

Dealer’s Choice. The brothers Noland could not decide on a theme for our latest blind tasting and decided on red wine, but any fine wine you wanted.

Round 1. Tom and Bob, because of the differences in the color of the wine we could tell which wine we had each brought. So, I only give you the impressions of the brother truly tasting blind. Easter Saturday.

Wine #1. Initial impressions.
Light ruby, some bricking at the edge. A nose of toasty oak, cherries, and vanilla. Oak, tart cherries with a good balance but a bit tight. Nice acidity and fruit on a medium long finish.

Bob: Pinot, new world because of the oak but with nice acidity so could be old world in style. Probably 2004 or 2005. Oak needs to blow off and integrate. Changes quickly in the glass. Needs more time in the bottle. Rating: 90

Two hours later. Bob: Nose still heavy to the oak but much more fruity now with a nice long oak and fruit finish. Still thinks it is new world but that acidity means some old world influence. Fruit and finish seem to have improved with air time. Tom Rating: 90, but oak needs time to integrate.

Wine #2. Initial impressions.
Dark ruby to the edge. Hint of bacon, black raspberries, blueberries, strawberries, green pepper, and hint of white pepper on the expressive nose. Nice silky midpalate with sweet tannins, luscious black raspberry fruit, and a long luxurious finish. Bob: What is not to like about this wine?

Tom: New world, it’s all about fruit. Syrah or more likely GSM. Probably Australia. 2004 +/- 1 year. Ultimate sipper wine but will age for a few years. Both brothers rate this wine: 93.

Two hours later: wine is essentially unchanged.

Wines revealed:
#1 Torres ‘Mas Borras’ Pinot Noir Penedes 2004
#2 Thorn-Clarke Shotfire Ridge 2002 Barossa Cuvee - a bordeaux style blend

Round 2: All three Noland (Tom, Bob and James) Brothers on Easter Sunday.

Again two rounds of tasting. 4 wines - 2 from James. Initial impressions and after about 2 hours of air time. Then with 3 cheeses. Aged cheddar, piava (Italian) and aged gouda

Wine A. Initial impressions.
Deep Garnet red to the edge and probably darkest of the 4 wines. Tom and James-An expressive nose of dark fruit, with black raspberries, blueberries and burnt toast or coffee but no oak. Tom - Good midpalate grip with mouth watering acidity and assertive tannins. Finish of acid and tannins. Needs time. And shouts out - GIVE ME FOOD!

After 2 hours. Improved significantly with time opened up significantly. More fruit and layers of flavors but still somewhat subdued. Green pepper, pencil lead, some spice. Bordeaux? (Bob), juniper berries (James) and leather (Tom). 89 Tom, 90 James and Bob.

Cheese course: Good with cheddar, so-so with piava, and great with aged gouda.

Wine B. Initial Impressions.
Deep garnet to the edge. James and Tom: Sweet fruit nose with black cherries, plums, a hint of mushrooms, and nutmeg. Nice tart cherries and smooth tannins on the midpalate. Nice medium long finish of tart cherries and green peppers. Bob: Dark. Alcohol. Dark fruits and somewhat jammy. Nice nose then heat. Sipper. 88-89 Bob. 88+ James, 90 Tom.

After 2 hours: Stronger red fruits. Red currants and tart cherries. Very drinkable

Cheese course: Good with cheddar and piava. Great with aged gouda. Cheeses tend to sweeten the fruit taste of the wine, especially the cheddar. Also improves the length of the finish but mutes it somewhat.

Wine C. Initial impressions.
James and Tom: Garnet red with some haze. Nice earthy nose with ripe red currants slightly unripe (supermarket) strawberries. Extracted fruit intensity. Spicy fruit on the midpalate and nice silky tannins with wonderful balance. James: Dry crunchy fall leaves. Nice medium long but muted finish of acidic fruit.

After 2 hours: Bob: Normal color. Barnyard but shy nose with some sort of spice. Strange but not off-putting spice, clove. May need some age. Tannic, vegetal. Needs time. Out of balance, right now. Some sulfur. Bob: 86, James 87, Tom 86.

Cheese course: Not good with cheddar and aged gouda. OK with piava.

After 3 hours: Better fruit and finish. Conclusion: chameleon wine that needs a few years of aging. During this tasting it seemed to go from drinkable to a dumb stage to drinkable again in a few hours. Perhaps an emulation of its aging profile?

Wine D. Initial impressions:
Bob - Normal color, smells Spanish with a deep rich nose with some spice, tempranillo? 2000-2001? Great nose and well balanced! Good finish. Tom and James: Ruby red with slight fade to the edge. Earthy nose with dark fruits (mostly blueberry and plum) and leather. Sweet dark fruit with supple tannins that caress the midpalate. Nice long fruit finish. Great balance. Bob 92, James 91, Tom 92. Great with ham. James: Old world wine done in new world style or vice versa.

After 2 hours. Nose is more subdued. More sweet fruit on the palate and developing layers of flavor. Finish maybe even longer. Drinking really nice right now. Best balance of all 4 wines.

Cheese course: Loves all three cheeses: Great with cheddar, piava and aged gouda.

Wines revealed:

Wine A: 2005 Frederic Mabileau, St. Nicolas de Bourgeil. 13% abv Cabernet Franc: James.

Wine B: 2001 Aries Merlot 14% abv: James. Tom and Bob: I am shocked this is a Merlot :mrgreen:

Wine C: 2003 E. Guigal, 12.5% abv Crozes-Hermitage: Tom.

Wine D: 2001 Jumilla, Casa de la Ermita - 90% tempranillo 13.5% abv: Bob.
Last edited by Tom N. on Wed Apr 11, 2007 8:23 pm, edited 3 times in total.
Tom Noland
Good sense is not common.
no avatar
User

Saina

Rank

Musaroholic

Tue Mar 21, 2006 4:07 pm

Helsinki, Finland

Re: WTN: The Noland Brothers do "Dealers Choice Red" Long

by Saina » Tue Apr 10, 2007 5:06 pm

Tom N. wrote:Wine A: 2005 St. Nicolas de Bourgeil. 13% abv Cabernet Franc: James.

Wine B: 2001 Aries Merlot 14% abv: James. Tom and Bob: I am shocked this is a Merlot :mrgreen:

Wine C: 2003 E. Guigal, 12.5% abv Crozes-Hermitage: Tom.

Wine D: 2001 Jumilla - 90% tempranillo 13.5% abv: Bob.

Thanks for the notes, but would you mind revealing the producers of the Saint Nick and Jumilla?

-O-
I don't drink wine because of religious reasons ... only for other reasons.
no avatar
User

Bob Noland

Rank

Ultra geek

Thu Nov 30, 2006 2:32 pm

Chardon, Ohio

by Bob Noland » Tue Apr 10, 2007 7:52 pm

I can respond on the wine I brought which was a Casa de la Ermita Reserva 2001 Jumilla.
To do is to be. - Socrates
To be is to do. - Jean-Paul Sartre, Plato
Do-be-do-be-do. Frank Sinatra
no avatar
User

Bob Parsons Alberta

Rank

aka Doris

Tue Mar 21, 2006 3:09 pm

by Bob Parsons Alberta » Tue Apr 10, 2007 8:29 pm

That Jumilla is a very good wine, some TNs posted here somewhere.
no avatar
User

Tom N.

Rank

Wine guru

Soo, Ont.

by Tom N. » Tue Apr 10, 2007 10:27 pm

Hi Otto,

I have added the Jumilla winery, Casa de la Ermita. I will get the other winery from my brother James and post it as soon as I get it.
Tom Noland
no avatar
User

David M. Bueker

Rank

Riesling Guru

Thu Mar 23, 2006 11:52 am

Connecticut

by David M. Bueker » Wed Apr 11, 2007 7:22 am

I had the 2003 Guigal Crozes-Hermitage last night. I thought it tasted like overextracted Beaujolais.
Decisions are made by those who show up
no avatar
User

Saina

Rank

Musaroholic

Tue Mar 21, 2006 4:07 pm

Helsinki, Finland

by Saina » Wed Apr 11, 2007 4:06 pm

Tom N. wrote:Hi Otto,

I have added the Jumilla winery, Casa de la Ermita. I will get the other winery from my brother James and post it as soon as I get it.

Thanks. Taluau perhaps?
I don't drink wine because of religious reasons ... only for other reasons.
no avatar
User

Tom N.

Rank

Wine guru

Soo, Ont.

by Tom N. » Wed Apr 11, 2007 8:25 pm

Hi Otto,

I think the winery is Frederic Mabileau. I will confirm that with my brother James.
Tom Noland