The place for all things wine, focused on serious wine discussions.

Easter Sunday Morning Wine

Moderators: Jenise, Robin Garr, David M. Bueker

no avatar
User

Peter Ruhrberg

Rank

Ultra geek

Thu Mar 23, 2006 12:03 pm

Germany

Easter Sunday Morning Wine

by Peter Ruhrberg » Tue Apr 10, 2007 3:25 am

No, I'm not talking about holy communion. I'm talking about sitting down in the glorious sunshine after having watched my nephew and nice successfully locating most of the easter eggs hidden for them by me. Somone called for something to drink, and so I fetched Dr. Loosen Erdener Prälat Riesling Auslese 1996. After initial excetement in the mid 90s about Loosens wines, I have arrived at the conclusion that his style is not for me. His wines may impress but rarely do they delight. The 96 Prälat is an exception to htis rule.: it is a delgihtful wine, where the Prälat vineyard brings a touch of honeyed excoticism and softness to the firm structure of the vintage. The wines is open for drinking, and went down quickly enough to call for another trip to the cellar. Failing to find a Zilliken 05 I sttled for a half bottle of Dr. Wagner Saarburger Rausch Riesling Auslese gold capsule (auction) 1997. Oh what bliss! All the fruits in the garden, esp. the yellow ones, from peach, and mango to fresh pineapple and organge dance across the tongue. Richer than the Loosen, yet not heavyier at all. There could not be a more perfect Sunday morning in the sunshine drink!

Peter
no avatar
User

David M. Bueker

Rank

Riesling Guru

Thu Mar 23, 2006 11:52 am

Connecticut

Re: Easter Sunday Morning Wine

by David M. Bueker » Tue Apr 10, 2007 7:13 am

Hi Peter,

Agree with yu on Loosen. Something (soul?) is missing from them, but for uncritical drinking they sure do well. Glad to hear that a 1996 is drinking well. I've had very bad luck with the '96s so far. They're very tough.

1997 is a vintage I am really liking now. A few years of age has brought balance to wines that were once thought to be low in acid. Of course now compared to 1999 then 2003 and 2005 it's a "normal" year.
Decisions are made by those who show up
no avatar
User

Peter Ruhrberg

Rank

Ultra geek

Germany

by Peter Ruhrberg » Tue Apr 10, 2007 7:59 am

David,
I bought 2 Loosens 96es: Prälat Auslese and ÜrzWürz Spätlese trocken. Both have been very good in recent years. The rest of my 96es was mostly MC.
As for 97, it was a special vintage for Saar & Ruwer, where acididity was not so low, and the grapes were superbly ripe and concentrated without much botrytis.

Peter
no avatar
User

David M. Bueker

Rank

Riesling Guru

Thu Mar 23, 2006 11:52 am

Connecticut

by David M. Bueker » Tue Apr 10, 2007 8:38 am

Have you tasted a '96 Muller-Catoir lately? I had a '96 Rieslaner Spatlese last year that was just brutally acidic, and even a bit lactic.
Decisions are made by those who show up
no avatar
User

Peter Ruhrberg

Rank

Ultra geek

Germany

by Peter Ruhrberg » Tue Apr 10, 2007 8:43 am

David M. Bueker wrote:Have you tasted a '96 Muller-Catoir lately? I had a '96 Rieslaner Spatlese last year that was just brutally acidic, and even a bit lactic.

I haven't tried one in ages. I don't think I have the Rieslaner Spl, just Riesling Spl and Rieslaner Ausese.

Peter