The place for all things wine, focused on serious wine discussions.

Do natural cork stoppers allow air to penetrate?

Moderators: Jenise, Robin Garr, David M. Bueker

no avatar
User

AlexR

Rank

Wine guru

Fri Mar 31, 2006 9:28 am

Bordeaux

Do natural cork stoppers allow air to penetrate?

by AlexR » Wed Apr 11, 2007 5:18 am

A friend of mine is writing an article on cork stoppers vs. screw caps.

He has received conflicting information on the subject of whether or not natural corks actually allow oxygen exchange.

Can anyone help me to light his lantern, and prove this point one way or the other?

Thanks in advance,
Best regards,
Alex R.
no avatar
User

Covert

Rank

NOT David Caruso

Wed Mar 29, 2006 9:17 pm

Albany, New York

Re: Do natural cork stoppers allow air to penetrate?

by Covert » Wed Apr 11, 2007 5:54 am

AlexR wrote:A friend of mine is writing an article on cork stoppers vs. screw caps.

He has received conflicting information on the subject of whether or not natural corks actually allow oxygen exchange.

Can anyone help me to light his lantern, and prove this point one way or the other?

Thanks in advance,
Best regards,
Alex R.

Alex,

Others can speak about the permeability of cork in general, but I think the biggest factor is air going around the cork, the amount of which varies widely from cork to cork, depending on the condition, dimension and composition of the cork: Corks can of course deteriorate over time. The diameter of the cork relative to the inside neck plays a part. I have had entire cases ruined (oxidized) by corks having a 'plug' fit as opposed to a 'press' fit. Length of the cork matters: the shorter has not the sealing capability of the longer. Finally, cheaper corks are often harder, with lower sealing potential.

One can use a sex mnemonic which is however only two-thirds helpful.

Diogenes
no avatar
User

Bob Parsons Alberta

Rank

aka Doris

Tue Mar 21, 2006 3:09 pm

by Bob Parsons Alberta » Wed Apr 11, 2007 7:23 am

Our good friend Jamie Goode, the Wine Anorak, has studied and researched this subject very intensely and has even writtten a book on the issue in question here. Click below for the link...............................

http://www.wineanorak.com/corks/cork_index.htm
no avatar
User

Karl Wee

Rank

Cellar rat

Mon Aug 21, 2006 12:37 pm

Massachusetts, USA

by Karl Wee » Thu Apr 12, 2007 12:34 pm

Hi

This is not an answer but I'm curious about this too... Why are older bottles expected to have more ullage if there's nothing coming out?

Karl
no avatar
User

Dave Erickson

Rank

Wine guru

Tue Jun 20, 2006 4:31 pm

Asheville, NC

by Dave Erickson » Thu Apr 12, 2007 6:56 pm

The purpose of any wine closure is to prevent air from penetrating. Cork does this to greater and lesser degrees.

Be sure to read this:

http://209.85.165.104/search?q=cache:4fYmG763ON0J:www.awri.com.au/technical_review/technotes/AWRI_TechNotes_639.pdf+screwcaps&hl=en&ct=clnk&cd=1&gl=us