The place for all things wine, focused on serious wine discussions.

WTN: `05 Yalumba "Y" Series Viognier, SA.

Moderators: Jenise, Robin Garr, David M. Bueker

no avatar
User

Bob Parsons Alberta

Rank

aka Doris

Tue Mar 21, 2006 3:09 pm

WTN: `05 Yalumba "Y" Series Viognier, SA.

by Bob Parsons Alberta » Wed Apr 11, 2007 8:02 am

Always a favourite at Doris Ranch, this is my third bottle and I am still experiencing some sulphur problems with this wine (see past posts). 14.5% alc (!), SC, opened and served just slightly chilled. It is however a terrific wine and has received much favourable press.

WTN: `05 Yalumba "Y" Series Viognier, S Australia.

The colour is a pale yellow, no greenish tints this time around. On the nose, I find the problem of sulphur again but not as noticeable as the last time. Otherwise, quince, minerally, honeysuckle, peach, apricot, floral...its all there.
On the palate, initial entry thoughts are peach, apricot, flinty. Medium-bodied,lemon, spice, pear as it breathes. Not too oily and could not find the heat others have described! But then they did not find my eggs.
Nice round finish that lingers and gets more flinty.

Cost was $15 Cdn.
Food, a nice pork scallopini with mushroom sauce.
no avatar
User

Alan A.

Rank

Wine geek

Thu Apr 13, 2006 3:22 pm

Being blue deep within a red state.

Re: WTN: `05 Yalumba "Y" Series Viognier, SA.

by Alan A. » Wed Apr 11, 2007 9:30 am

The sulfur you detected, was it more matchstick indicating an above normal dose of K-meta (sulfites/SO2), or was it rotten egg/onion/garlic/burnt rubber indicating H2S, sulfides/reductive, problems? Did the sulfur fade with airing or get worse?
no avatar
User

Brian K Miller

Rank

Passionate Arboisphile

Fri Aug 25, 2006 1:05 am

Northern California

by Brian K Miller » Wed Apr 11, 2007 11:09 am

I'm not sure I had the "Y" series, but the local WineStyles did pour this varietal from Yalumba last week-I enjoyed it. I tend to like a bit of fruit, even residual sugar, in white wines.
...(Humans) are unique in our capacity to construct realities at utter odds with reality. Dogs dream and dolphins imagine, but only humans are deluded. –Jacob Bacharach
no avatar
User

Bob Parsons Alberta

Rank

aka Doris

Tue Mar 21, 2006 3:09 pm

by Bob Parsons Alberta » Wed Apr 11, 2007 11:30 pm

Alan A. wrote:The sulfur you detected, was it more matchstick indicating an above normal dose of K-meta (sulfites/SO2), or was it rotten egg/onion/garlic/burnt rubber indicating H2S, sulfides/reductive, problems? Did the sulfur fade with airing or get worse?

Sorry about replying late but out birding!! Yup, matchstick for sure and did not blowoff like sulphur normally does. I seem to be the only person recording this if you check cellar-tracker etc.