The place for all things wine, focused on serious wine discussions.

WTN: The Big Five O Birthday Bash Thread

Moderators: Jenise, Robin Garr, David M. Bueker

no avatar
User

David Lole

Rank

Wine guru

Thu Mar 23, 2006 3:49 am

Canberra, Australia

WTN: The Big Five O Birthday Bash Thread

by David Lole » Wed Apr 11, 2007 9:51 am

My best mate, Eric, arrives from Queensland today for five days of joint birthday celebratory indulgence commencing with a family dinner tomorrow to mark Eric's 59th and culminating sometime the following Monday to see in my 50th. Four lunch/dinners are planned with most likely plenty of impromptu drinking in between. I'll update this thread as the big bash evolves.
Last edited by David Lole on Thu Apr 12, 2007 1:48 am, edited 1 time in total.
Cheers,

David
no avatar
User

Maria Samms

Rank

Picky Eater Pleaser

Thu Dec 28, 2006 8:42 pm

Morristown, NJ

Re: The Big Five O Birthday Bash Thread

by Maria Samms » Wed Apr 11, 2007 12:56 pm

How fun David...can't wait to hear the report.

And Happy Early FIVE-O Birthday!! I hope it's a great one!
"Wine makes daily living easier, less hurried, with fewer tensions and more tolerance" -Benjamin Franklin
no avatar
User

David M. Bueker

Rank

Riesling Guru

Thu Mar 23, 2006 11:52 am

Connecticut

by David M. Bueker » Wed Apr 11, 2007 2:14 pm

Happy upcoming birthday(s)!

I hope your cold is all better by now.
Decisions are made by those who show up
no avatar
User

Dale Williams

Rank

Compassionate Connoisseur

Tue Mar 21, 2006 4:32 pm

Dobbs Ferry, NY (NYC metro)

by Dale Williams » Wed Apr 11, 2007 2:18 pm

an early happy birthday, look forward to the notes
no avatar
User

James Roscoe

Rank

Chat Prince

Wed Mar 22, 2006 6:43 pm

D.C. Metro Area - Maryland

by James Roscoe » Wed Apr 11, 2007 7:53 pm

Happy Birthday Mate! :D Have a great one!
Yes, and how many deaths will it take 'til he knows
That too many people have died?
The answer, my friend, is blowin' in the wind
The answer is blowin' in the wind.
no avatar
User

David Lole

Rank

Wine guru

Canberra, Australia

by David Lole » Thu Apr 12, 2007 1:37 am

Day 1

Eric's plane got in two hours late last night, so the scheduled Carillon 2002 Les Combettes wasn't needed to accompany the special chicken breast dish I prepared some hours before. A couple of Grolsch throwdowns was all that was needed due to the lateness of hour.

Today being Ezza's birthday, I lined up several dozen pretty smart bottles (big range - mostly French) on the family room table before the birthday boy alighted from his slumber box. His "present" was to choose what he wanted to drink tonight at his birthday dinner.

He chose the following -

Jacquesson Signature 1995
Freycinet Chardonnay 2005 :lol:
Ravaneau Valmur 2001
Houghton's Jack Mann 1995
Leoville Las Cases 1985

I'll report later this evening on how they all looked in the glass.

Oh! ...... and thanks for the kind wishes from all above! :oops:
Cheers,

David
no avatar
User

David Lole

Rank

Wine guru

Canberra, Australia

by David Lole » Thu Apr 12, 2007 6:37 pm

Eric and ten of my immediate family dined at the Ridge Restaurant at Farrer Shops last night.

Jacquesson Signature 1995 - This Champagne displayed an attractive polished light brass colour, miniscule beading, a lovely yeasty nose of toasted wheatmeal, brioche and sesame seeds but just didn't quite deliver the goods on the palate with a slight hollowness through the mid-palate. Otherwise, a very good wine but not in the class of the 1996 Avize from the same producer I tried some months ago. 88

Ravaneau Valmur 2001 - Perhaps 2001 wasn't the best vintage for Chablis and/or Raveneau and we probably opened this a little too soon for its' own good. Pale straw/green colour. Quite bright. Typically, all seashell, iodine and flinty with more than a hint of gunflint in the bouquet, this wine gradually unravelled with considerable air to reveal more than a semblance of its' "grand cru" status. There's no chance of this falling over for many years. With a tight acid core, a top class mouthfeel, an abundance of minerality and very good length, I'd leave this for a minmum of 3-4 years and, hopefully, something better should be in store. 89

Freycinet Chardonnay 2005 - I'm having trouble with bottle variation with this wine. My initial tasting bottle in January (93 points) was an absolute cracker but every bottle since has been different and not in the same league - and this from a wine "naturally" sealed with a screwcap! This bottle displayed an unusual floral/bath powder perfume intermingling with worked barrel characters over fig/melon fruit. After the Raveneau, it seemed all too flowery and a little simple to me. By this stage of the evening, I'm almost looking for excuses for my less than stellar response thus far. Perhaps it's the wretched virus/cold I've been trying to shake for the last two weeks? Anyway, I'm still having trouble giving this more than 85.

Houghton's Jack Mann 1995 - A blend of Cabernet, Shiraz and Malbec. During a Jack Mann vertical I did a few years back, the 1995 came up trumps and is the only remaining vintage of this label I've kept. The initial promise of the inaugural 1994 vintage did not materialise with time in the cellar and I've now ditched it along with the 1996 and the 1998, although I've heard some encouraging reports recently from a mate on the 1999. Put quite simply, I reckon Houghton's just overdid the oak back in those days and this trait showed just a tad too much on the big, ballsy, slightly tarry bouquet of the '95 last night. The palate seemed very ripe, quite smooth with a creamy mouthfeel, low acidity, fully resolved, fluffy tannins and nicely integrated oak and ready to go in my book. Overall, I thought the wine very enjoyable and verging on excellent. 89

Leoville Las Cases 1985 - not opened
Last edited by David Lole on Fri Apr 13, 2007 8:41 am, edited 1 time in total.
Cheers,

David
no avatar
User

Cynthia Wenslow

Rank

Pizza Princess

Mon Mar 27, 2006 9:32 pm

The Third Coast

by Cynthia Wenslow » Thu Apr 12, 2007 7:31 pm

You must sell a lot of cars! :D
no avatar
User

David Lole

Rank

Wine guru

Canberra, Australia

Re: WTN: The Big Five O Birthday Bash Thread

by David Lole » Fri Apr 13, 2007 7:24 am

Day 2

The remnants of my old tasting group (all two of them) invited Eric and me over for a terrific little bbq this afternoon. Lovely simple fare on just a fabulous autumn afternoon.

All wines masked and served blind.

Fritz Haag Brauneberger-Juffer-Sonnenuhr Riesling Spatlese 1997 - almost impossibly good youthful bright pale green colour; fantastic haunting aromatics of white citrus flowers, slate, lemon merangue, a lttle redcurrant, a whiff of light toast, perhaps the merest hint of emerging petrol then kicks back with probing hints of white nectarine and lime. Wow, what a great journey and still so impressively fresh and vibrant for a 10 year old! In the mouth, this wine jumps to an even higher plane - as we sit in the temperate stillness of a sunny Canberra afternoon, this just glides through the mouth with such purity, perfect symmetry and mind-boggling delineation. The M-S-R thumbprint of counterbalancing sweetness and acid cut could not be better exemplified here. There's plenty of punch but beautifully bridled by an awesome line - add the sleekness of pristine ripe fruit, the raciness, the minerality, the balance and you have a very special wine indeed. Perhaps the ambience just made this better than it really is, but I'm not worried about giving it 94 points and WOTD. And it will last for donkey's! 7.5% A/V

Tyrrell's Vat 1 Semillon 1995 - terrible cork, disintegrated on removal. Slightly burnished lemon gold. Initial strange aromatics and flavours of mixed herbs and green pineapple gave way to something more varietally acceptable - lanolin, soap and cut grass but not a sign of honey or toast. Opened up better and better with more air but something just wasn't right, never reaching any great height. Seems to be in a state of suspended animation (there's enough acid there to suggest this will go somewhere) and not a patch on the last bottle I opened (note follows). 88 points 11.3% A/V

Pristine bright lemon/straw colour. Sexy nose of buttered toast, limes and lemons with added complexity from hints of honey, hay, nuts and lanolin.
Pure silk on the palate. Gorgeous rounded mouthfeel with ample glossy fruit (aka nose), medium-body, accompanied by seamless, perfectly-judged acidity and a soft, yet crisp, dry lingering finish that hovers gently long after swallowing. What a lovely, lovely wine! A joy to behold, sniff and glug. I'm glad I held off for so long with this beauty. Probably another 10 years left in the tank on tonight's performance and deservedly merits an Outstanding rating.

Seppelt Show Sparkling Shiraz 1987 - this DMS-affected wine performed very well for over half an hour, but began to fade with the DMS starting to reveal its' uglier side - asparagus and boiled cabbage just starting to creep into the equation. Otherwise this remarkably good wine displayed a solid brick red with strong brown edges, loads of old dark chocolate, slightly jammy blackcurrants, old leather and hints of dusty earth. Although definitely on its last legs, this wine's still got plenty of fizz, a nice creamy moutfeel and admirable length. Before it started to falter I was happy with a rating of 90 points. Was better a few years back when TORB opened a much fresher example.

Louis Jadot Gevrey-Chambertin 1er Cru Clos-St-Jacques 1999 - bought a few of these a while back and decided it was time to look at one to see how it was travelling. Quite a transluscent bright cherry colour (fairly typical for Jadot I've found over the years). Still very primary on the nose with aromas of bing cherry, sous bois, a little sap and some iodine/beetroot/salty game characters. Just the smallest hint of reduction that dissipated quickly. In the mouth this wine just won't play ball. Tight as a fish's with plenty of robust acidity and quite grippy tannins dominate the bright, glossy cherry and green plum fruit. Somewhat simple and one dimensional at this point but somehow there's an eerieness that suggest this Pinot is a keeper. I'd leave this for at least 5-8 years before opening another. Only 86 points today, but I'm thinking a higher score will eventuate if patience is your virtue.

St Hubert's Yarra Valley Cabernet Sauvignon 1998 - this was the real surprise packet for me today. As a precursor to this note, I've read a whole lot about this particular wine being ruined by the yeast spoilage we call brett (short for brettanomyces). Now this bottle was purchased by one of my wine mates at release and perfectly stored underground under his house. This bottle has not a trace of brett. Harbouring a solid deep plummy red colour, this wine's aromatics were excellent. A nicely integrated and very harmonious bouquet filled with blackcurrants, fresh herbs, bitter chocolate, savoury oak and a trace of autumn leaves. The palate deceived me at first - redolent of a ripeness more suggestive of a warmer South Australian clime but none-the-less very appealing in its generosity of black fruit, excellent oak input, resolving acidity, a mouth-puckering fine tannin regime and very good persistence. This is a damn fine red entering its peak drinking window and should hold for another 5 years or so. We all enjoyed it immensely. 91 points
Cheers,

David
no avatar
User

Jenise

Rank

FLDG Dishwasher

Tue Mar 21, 2006 2:45 pm

The Pacific Northest Westest

by Jenise » Fri Apr 13, 2007 9:35 am

Boy, you guys do it right. Happy happy birthday, David. Great notes--you remind me that I meant to go back to a store in Vancouver and pick up more of a Tyrells white that I wanted to sock away. A question about the Seppelt sparkler--what's DMS? I don't think I'm familiar with that term, but I'm familiar with that wine from other vintages--it's the best sparkling shiraz I've personally had, and the one that would win people over who haven't been impressed by the likes of Fox Creek Vixen, say. I'm sitting on some 94's.
My wine shopping and I have never had a problem. Just a perpetual race between the bankruptcy court and Hell.--Rogov
no avatar
User

David Lole

Rank

Wine guru

Canberra, Australia

by David Lole » Fri Apr 13, 2007 10:28 am

Sorry, slack of me, Jenise. DMS is short for Dimethylsulphide.
Cheers,

David
no avatar
User

Anders Källberg

Rank

Wine guru

Sun Mar 26, 2006 10:48 am

Stockholm, Sweden

by Anders Källberg » Fri Apr 13, 2007 2:28 pm

David, it seems like you are doing very well with your days of indulgence. I hope you have the stamina to follow it through to your big day! :wink:
No birthday greetings now, but I'll try to remember to come back on Monday!
Have a great time!
Anders
no avatar
User

JC (NC)

Rank

Lifelong Learner

Mon Mar 27, 2006 12:23 pm

Fayetteville, NC

by JC (NC) » Fri Apr 13, 2007 3:35 pm

A little surprised how tight the Louis Jadot Gevrey-Chambertin Clos St. Jacques showed. Most of my '99 red Burgundies have remained fruity and don't show much sign of closing down. I recently tasted a '98 Clos St. Jacques from Domaine Fourrier and it was also drinking very well and was my wine of the flight against three other Burgundies. Maybe I caught a couple of the '99s just before they started slumbering. Will retest in the next couple weeks with a Morey St. Denis 1er Cru. Oh, and thanks for the note on the Fritz Haag. I have some Brauneberger Juffer set aside but sadly not the '97 vintage.
no avatar
User

David Lole

Rank

Wine guru

Canberra, Australia

by David Lole » Sat Apr 14, 2007 11:42 am

Day 3

The Sydney guys have just left my place - fantastic night - no time for notes with the masses arriving here for an all day affair in less than 12 hours - so must be brief - notes to come when time permits.

All wines (bar one) served bind -

Maximin Grunhauser Abstberg Riesling Spatlese 1998 - 92

For a 1998 this excrutiatingly tight wine displayed very little colour development, a little sulphur on the nose at first, followed closely by lovely red currants, traces of minerals and lemon merangue. The palate is drop-dead gorgeous, albeit very steely and tightly bound by mouth-watering acidity. Quite a gorgeous wine that must gain a higher rating as it evolves over the next twenty years. Bravo!

Fritz Haag Sonnenuhr-Juffer Auslese 1998 - 90

A more open wine than the spatlese, revealing decidedly more colour and fruit more in the peach/nectarine spectrum with a vein of oiliness on both nose and palate. The palate is far more expressive, sweeter and softer than the Grunhauser, with significantly more weight, lower acidity and additional suggestions of honey and cream to the ripe stone fruits mentioned above. I consider this wine amlost ready and although the lower score may put some readers "off", I thought very highly of it indeed. Remember, 90 points is on the cusp of a verbal rating of Outstanding! Monitor this beauty over the next five years as it seems to be nearing its apoge.

Raveneau Butteaux 1995 - 89

Wow! What a roller coaster ride we had with this one. Opened almost as if we had missed the boat. Danny thought the palate oxidised, I didn't like the hints of sherry on the nose. With considerable time, this remarkably good wine threw off its tired old clothes and displayed a much fresher wardrobe. Typical Chablis notes of chalk, rocks, seaspray and oyster shell intermingled with nice crunchy green fruit with just enough acidity to keep everything in check. Decent length, perhaps a tad broad. A drink now proposition, but with a caveat of giving it a decent breath (say 30 minutes) before tipping it down the sink! My initial score on this wine would have been far lower. I'm glad we gave it a chance!

Blain-Gagnard Batard-Montrachet 1997 - 93

How could a wine be so intact after some 15 hours sitting in a glass? Another wine that started off a little shaky but just blossomed, and then held the bar high, in the glass. This wine screamed brilliant new French oak treatment to me - meal, butterscotch, smoke and a haunting minerality over tight white peach and green fig fruit. Hardly surprising after the almost "oak-less" Raveneau, but I continued to find more and more in this wine as the night progressed, keeping about half an inch in the Riedel and going back to it time and time again, including during our fantastic foray with the ancient Chambers Tokay, and being more impressed with this wine's aromatics as the evening wore on. The palate showed plenty of weight without being heavy, read "ditto" of nuance to that of the bouquet and driven by bright, powerful acidity and assertive, but controlled input from the spicy oak. Long as the night, this wine pushed all the right buttons, particularly considering the "so so" 1997 vintage. Given the next morning when Cam and Danny arrived for breakfast, the wine was still "all there", it might just go another ten years, possibly more!

Vachet-Rousseau Mazis-Chambertin 1993 - 90

This Pinot Noir revealed a healthy deep colour, spot-on aromatics but left me a trifle flat on the palate. There's a suggestion of "four-square" here, and with some relatively firm unresolved tannins and grating acidity, either this wine needs more time or will never reach the heights the bouquet delivers. This might sound too negative for a 90 pointer - there is plenty to like about this full throttle masculine Burg.

Ch. Leoville-Barton 1986 - 91+

How can a 21 year old red look so young? The colour, the brooding bouquet full of cedar and graphite, the palate with robust puckering tannin, tarry black fruit, heaps of acid and a whopping long firm finish? This wine needs years of rest to enter its drinking window and will last for several decades thereafter on this showing. A great effort from Leoville-Barton and I'm confident this will get a whole lot better. Thanks be to the infant legume for letting us share it together.

Guigal La Mouline 1995 - 92+

I was positive this was another Bordeaux of a similar ilk. Top flight maker, plenty of time on its side, although a little less savage in its still youthful tannin structure. Lots of new oak, cedar, tar, herbs and brooding black fruit. Wrong, wrong, wrong, wrong! Goodonya Cam! See ..... you can cut the mustard with the big guys! I thought this Outstanding example will improve over the medium term and drink well for another 15 years. Thanks for a most generous contribution to my birthday bash.

Ch. Rieussec 1988 - 82 (Errant bottle)

Very worrying dark orange/burnished gold colour - I thought Rieussec from the early 70's and passed it. Danny and Cam were more impressed. Fat, clumsy, cloying and difficult to drink and nothing like the bottle Danny opened a while back. No more to say. Just bad luck with this one, methinks.

Chambers Rare Tokay - 97

A ripsnorter of a wine! Opened with that old stale hint of boot polish and molasses that generally points to needing refreshing. Don't know how long this has been sitting in the bottle, but with a little air time this incredible Tokay dropped most of the little nasties I detected and just soared out of the glass and reverberated around the mouth with such incredible aplomb you really have difficulty in putting the all components into words. The price of 270 bucks was mentioned as a price for this half bottle! After trying the otherwordly Seppelt the following night, I'm happy for anyone to open a bottle of this (or Chambers rare muscat) for me; but as good as it is, I won't follow Cam's lead unless it was something I'd know he'd treausure (as I did Saturday night), I'd be buying the Seppelt (if i was assured all their bottles were of uniform blend and quality). Thanks be to Cam once again - very generous of you, old mate.

I hope Eric, Cam and the Chickpea had as good a night as me.
Last edited by David Lole on Wed Apr 18, 2007 2:36 am, edited 2 times in total.
Cheers,

David
no avatar
User

JuliaB

Rank

Woman of Mystery

Fri Mar 24, 2006 8:44 pm

Ohio

by JuliaB » Sun Apr 15, 2007 9:55 am

David!
Today is the BIG DAY!!! (in your world) After this whirlwind celebratory weekend, I hope you had strength to get out of bed this morning.

Happy Birthday to my totally grouse mate! You really should be spanked...pity, I'm so far away! 8)

xo
JuliaB
no avatar
User

James Roscoe

Rank

Chat Prince

Wed Mar 22, 2006 6:43 pm

D.C. Metro Area - Maryland

by James Roscoe » Sun Apr 15, 2007 10:19 am

JuliaB wrote:David!
Today is the BIG DAY!!! (in your world) After this whirlwind celebratory weekend, I hope you had strength to get out of bed this morning.

Happy Birthday to my totally grouse mate! You really should be spanked...pity, I'm so far away! 8)

xo
JuliaB

You are sooo bad JB! :twisted:

Happy birthday mate! :D
Yes, and how many deaths will it take 'til he knows
That too many people have died?
The answer, my friend, is blowin' in the wind
The answer is blowin' in the wind.
no avatar
User

Cynthia Wenslow

Rank

Pizza Princess

The Third Coast

by Cynthia Wenslow » Sun Apr 15, 2007 12:10 pm

Good morning, David!

A very Happy Birthday to you! Sorry my flight got cancelled due to the winter storms here.

After reading these reports, we'll certainly know why if you don't make it to chat at 0600 your time today!

:D
no avatar
User

Anders Källberg

Rank

Wine guru

Sun Mar 26, 2006 10:48 am

Stockholm, Sweden

by Anders Källberg » Sun Apr 15, 2007 12:14 pm

David, I recon it must be Monday in your end of the world now, so: Warmest greetings to your 50 years from your fellow wine chatter!
Anders
no avatar
User

David Lole

Rank

Wine guru

Canberra, Australia

by David Lole » Sun Apr 15, 2007 12:19 pm

Well thank you, JB, Cynthia and James.

It's 2.12 am and we are finally going to bed! :roll:

I'm not sure if I'll make it to chat, but if I'm not there, go your hardest!

But you never know, I might make a slightly belated appearance!

:wink: :lol:
Cheers,

David
no avatar
User

David Lole

Rank

Wine guru

Canberra, Australia

by David Lole » Sun Apr 15, 2007 12:23 pm

Anders jumped in without me knowing!

Thanks bro, you're a good bloke!
Cheers,

David
no avatar
User

Robin Garr

Rank

Forum Janitor

Fri Feb 17, 2006 1:44 pm

Louisville, KY

by Robin Garr » Sun Apr 15, 2007 12:40 pm

David Lole wrote:Well thank you, JB, Cynthia and James.

It's 2.12 am and we are finally going to bed! :roll:

I'm not sure if I'll make it to chat, but if I'm not there, go your hardest!

But you never know, I might make a slightly belated appearance!

:wink: :lol:

More birthday greetings from here, David! It seems you've truly done it up right!
no avatar
User

David Lole

Rank

Wine guru

Canberra, Australia

by David Lole » Sun Apr 15, 2007 5:55 pm

Crikey, what a day!

GazzaB took off (literally) about 45 minutes ago, I've got bodies on the floor, the lounge and all the beds are overflowing!

Where do I start? .......

Just one of the best days of my life, yesterday ..... unbelievably good people, lovely food, terrific wine ....... just another fantastic part of this momentous journey!

Would like to thank everyone for their kind wishes, help, presents, generosity etc. etc. ....this has been a very moving few days ....especially the duck from the SLDS! ...... I was almost in tears with that one!

Anyway, I'll do my level best to catch up with impressions of the wines from Saturday and Sunday ....needless to say we opened some table-lifters yesterday ...... 30 bottles in total ..... very few duds!

But just to say the DP59, like the Chambers the night before, blitzed an incredibly strong field ..... with special mentions for the (working backwards) 1972 Seppelt Rutherglen VP, 1983 Suduiraut, 1978 Domaine de Chevalier, 1978 LLC, GazzaB's incredibly good 1994 Stonyridge Larose ...oh, and Lafarge's 1993 Clos de Chenes .... just to mention a few!
Cheers,

David
no avatar
User

Cynthia Wenslow

Rank

Pizza Princess

The Third Coast

by Cynthia Wenslow » Sun Apr 15, 2007 8:37 pm

David Lole wrote:Just one of the best days of my life, yesterday ..... unbelievably good people, lovely food, terrific wine ....... just another fantastic part of this momentous journey!

I am so glad. That is life as it should be, David!
no avatar
User

David Lole

Rank

Wine guru

Canberra, Australia

by David Lole » Tue Apr 17, 2007 2:20 am

Day 4

Sunday, all day at my place - relaxed format, plenty of food, simple fare - lots of warmth, plenty of shade, no rain. Yes!

Dishes served -

Turkish dips and bread

Crumbed blackfish bites and yes, I caught the fish

Side of smoked Tasmanian Salmon served with a bevy of condiments - capers, red onion, sour cream, chives, lemons etc.

Salt and pepper beer batter prawns

Chicken kebabs served with coban salad and rice

Kofta with chilli and homuss dips

Eye fillet kebabs served with a turkish bean salad

Floating Euro lemon tarts (abandoned) ;)

Rich chocolate cake (good-on-ya Rach and friend!)

Coffee and truffles

The Wines - not exactly in order opened

Hugel Gewurztraminer Selection de Grains Nobles 1998 - in incredible shape - luscious and exotic but holding wonderful poise and still remarkably fresh, finishing dry. Didn't notice the 15% A/V. 93

Laurent-Perrier Vintage Brut 1996 - most excellent displaying a very tight personality. To me this wine has a long way to go - approachable yes, but will be better over the next several years 91

Lindemans Reserve Pinot Noir/Chardonnay/Pinot Meunier 1999 - Not Tasted - only opened for mouth rinsing purposes only ;) - actually previous bottles opened were pretty darn good FWII - paid a whole 8 bucks a bottle for this retail!

Seppelt Drumborg Riesling 1999 - only tried a splash of this - looked remarkably fresh with a wealth of fruit and the first vestige of bottle development - plenty of juice still in the tank NR

Grosset Polish Hill Riesling 2002 - disappeared before I got to try any - the few comments rendered were highly positive

Mount Pleasant Elizabeth Semillon 1998 - again only a passing glimpse from me with this one - displayed a deep yellow/gold colour, plenty of development on both nose and palate - sound but not particularly exciting NR

Tyrrell's Vat 1 Semillon 1995 - right back to form after the slightly dissappointing errant bottle on Friday - top flight Hunter Sem with enormous reserves - looked young and pristine to me 92

Freycinet Chardonnay 1995 - looked solid enough without creating much excitement with the small amount I tried NR

Tyrrell's Vat 47 Chardonnay 2002 - NT - GazzaB commented this looked very young - "still a pup" were his exact words I think

Leeuwin Estate Art Series Chardonnay 2001 - thanks be to GazzaB for this one - looked awfully classy to me, tightly coiled but with a wealth of nuance on both nose and palate - lovely wine with plenty of time to go. NFR but somewhere in the 92-93 range at a guess

Trimbach Cuvee Frederic Emile Riesling 1996 en magnum - finally got to open one! Pristine bright straw green, haunting minerally Alsace bouquet with bucket loads of fruit in support. Served way too cold at first (I forgot I had it in the freezer) particularly hindering the palate (a bit short and bitter). Improved dramatically in the glass as it warmed. 92

Meo-Camuzet Vosne-Romanee 1er Cru Les Chaumes 1996 - Charming, svelte, sexy Pinot probably nearing its peak drinking window. NR but low nineties wine as a guide

Michel Lafarge Volnay Clos des Chenes 1993 - another gorgeous example very much in the style of the Meo-Camuzet, but if anything, a little better. Probably worth 94 points if you want a numerical value. A Burgundy that sang from start to finish. IMHO, the best Burgundy of the day - beating the other premier and grand crus!

Vachet-Rousseau Gevrey-Chambertin Mazis-Chambertin Grand Cru 1993 - repeat performance from the night before -masculine, beefy palate, perhaps a little unready behind a quite lovely bouquet. 90

Frederic Esmonin Chambertin-Clos-des-Beze Grand Cru 1996 - another Outstanding Burg - having trouble with descriptors here and thus won't point it but in the scheme of things I'd rate it between the Chaumes and the Lafarge, somewhere around the 91-92 points mark

Marc Pavelot Savigny-Les-Beaune Les Dominode 1999 en magnum - almost fotgot about this one! Truly Outstanding for its (lesser) station in life compared to some of the supposed big "guns"above. If anything, surpassed them! Very youthful, beautifully balanced, silky, great line - absolutely loved this, particularly the class of the fruit - and its got time on its side! 92

Rockford Black Shiraz 2005 Disgorg. - thanks be to JLo for this scintallating number - amazingly pure with bucketloads of creamy blackberry fruit - will last for yonks, methinks NR

Wynns Black label Cabernet 1998 - this was opened when I was cooking the shaslicks and didn't get a looksee

Howard Park Cabernet Merlot 1995 - I know this has received some bad press over the years for a volatile acidity problem, but this bottle looked excellent to me, extremely varietal with some similarities to a modern ripe Bordeaux with a distinctive "gravelly" character. 90 points on its ear. Thanks to IanB for this one.

Penfolds Bin 80A Cabernet Shiraz1980 - cork disintegrated on opening - a bad start - but what I strained into the decanter was absolutely stunning and way over my jittery expectations. Still with plenty of life in front of it, this red showed a deep vigorous colour, superb aromatics and smooth but concentrated palate of great length with heaps of fruit to burn. Every component meshed to perfection, IMHO. One of my top wine's of the day. 94

Penfolds Bin 707 Cabernet Sauvignon 1991 - very sound if a little unexciting and did attract some strong comments from the table when revealed. I thought the oak treatment spoilt the fruit a bit. Very good verging on excellent. High 80's from me.

Lindemans Sesquicentenary Coonawarra Cabernet Sauvignon 1990 en magnum - does contain just a litlle less than 10% Shiraz - this looked Outstanding to me, but at this stage of the evening the sheer quantity of reds was making judgement difficult. NR

Stonyridge Waiheke Island Cabernets 1994 - an eye opener for me - right in the slot. Nothing underripe here - a gloriously rich and well-honed red with everything in place. Up there with the best of them on the day. 92 Thanks again to GazzaB for this one!

Ch. Ducru-Beaucaillou (St. Julien) 1978 - probably a few too many years past its best drinking window, but still very good although drying out a tad on the palate. 86

Ch. Leoville-las-Cases (St. Julien) 1978 - just fantastic aged Bordeaux - layered, aristocratic, lots of extremely good things going on here - if anything better than the last bottle I opened and assessed carefully. http://www.winestar.com.au/forum/viewtopic.php?t=16029&highlight= 93

Domaine de Chevalier 1978 - this was my pick of the 1978 Bordeaux flight. Just a superb wine drinking at its apoge. 94

Zentralkellerei Ezeuger-Abfullung Ediger-Osterlammchen Beerenauslese Riesling 1976 375 ml - probably got things a bit wrong with the label - a curio GazzaB picked up for a song somewhere - very deep burnished colour, nice aromatics and an incredibly lush, unctious palate - drying out a tad but I still thought it very good - about 85 points

Ch. Suduiraut (Sauternes) 1983 - quite simply, absolutely brilliant - incredibly youthful, elegant but seriously complex in nuance of bouquet and palate, about as good as it gets for an aged Sauternes without the sheer power of D'Yquem. Bordering on exceptional - 94 points

Seppelt Rutherglen Vintage Port 1972 - made from Touriga, Bastardo and Alvarelhao - in great shape - 92 points

Seppelt Rare Rutherglen Tokay DP 59 - this really rocked my boat. Having tried this on many occasions, this bottle surpassed anything I've had previously. Cam's incredibly generous contribution the night before of a half bottle of Chambers Rare Tokay blew me away - I gave it 97 points! This was as good, if not better - words cannot do either wine justice! 98 points

A huge thank you to the gang for making the day what it was -

My terrific wife and daughters (extra-special thanks to Rachel and friend who worked like trojans)

Mum and Dad

Eric Wallace

GazzaB

Tony and Deb

JLo

Lyndsay Kerr

Rob Buettner

Toi Low

Ian Beverley

Ann Morant

Paul Heimburger

Baby Chickpea