The place for all things wine, focused on serious wine discussions.

WTN: Chardonnay and PINEAPPLE?

Moderators: Jenise, Robin Garr, David M. Bueker

no avatar
User

Brian K Miller

Rank

Passionate Arboisphile

Fri Aug 25, 2006 1:05 am

Northern California

WTN: Chardonnay and PINEAPPLE?

by Brian K Miller » Wed Apr 11, 2007 11:17 am

Tasted last night at WineStyles Tuesday Night Tasting: 2005 Clos La Chance (Central Coast) Hummingbird Series Chardonnay. $17.00.

I liked this. 100% steel-no oak. Nice color of straw gold. Rich, creamy, without being heavy. What hit my palette was a distinct "pineapple" flavor, which I found intriguing and interesting. There was also citrus and other tropical fruits. Richer than some of the other steel chardonnays I've tried, and not very complex on the finish, but enjoyable in it's own way. **1/2
...(Humans) are unique in our capacity to construct realities at utter odds with reality. Dogs dream and dolphins imagine, but only humans are deluded. –Jacob Bacharach
no avatar
User

Bob Henrick

Rank

Kamado Kommander

Thu Mar 23, 2006 7:35 pm

Lexington, Ky.

Re: WTN: Chardonnay and PINEAPPLE?

by Bob Henrick » Wed Apr 11, 2007 12:06 pm

Brian, I find that Central Coast chards, and especially Monterey County chards to feature tropical fruit on both the nose and the Palate. Add in some oak and they mostly go overboard for me. I don't drink a lot of chard, but I do like the Travis chardonnay, even though it is a Monterey County product. I probably should search out more "unoaked" cali chards and try them.
Bob Henrick
no avatar
User

Randy Buckner

Rank

Wine guru

Sun Mar 05, 2006 11:46 am

Puget Sound

by Randy Buckner » Wed Apr 11, 2007 3:29 pm

Chardonnay flavors are very dependent on the climate. Cool climates produce the apple and green plum flavors, with lots of acidity.

Warm region chardonnay shows more of the citrusy notes, whereas hot climates lean towards the peach, melon and tropical fruit flavors and lower acidity.

I'm not much of a chardonnay fan, but prefer the Chablis style if I have a choice.
no avatar
User

Mark Lipton

Rank

Oenochemist

Wed Mar 22, 2006 1:18 pm

Indiana

by Mark Lipton » Wed Apr 11, 2007 5:58 pm

Brian,
I find that pineapple flavors are quite common in Chardonnays and Pinot Gris from CA and OR that haven't been overoaked. Since I happen to love ripe pinepapple, I am not at all unhappy with that state of affairs, either. As others have said, these same grapes in cooler climates will veer more to the citrus side of the spectrum.

Mark Lipton
no avatar
User

Shaji M

Rank

Wine guru

Thu Apr 05, 2007 3:24 pm

by Shaji M » Sun Apr 15, 2007 7:18 pm

Brian,
Last evening at our neighborhood get together, several good wines were served. Amongst them, I tasted 7 Heavenly Chard (from Lodi) and one of the first things that jumped into my mind was - pineapple!!
no avatar
User

Hoke

Rank

Achieving Wine Immortality

Sat Apr 15, 2006 1:07 am

Portland, OR

by Hoke » Sun Apr 15, 2007 7:56 pm

Brian:
As Bob and Mark have already pointed out, CA Central Coast Chards, which are generally cooler climate growing areas which also have an edtended hang time for fruit, are pretty reliable in producing the pineapple/tropical aromas and flavors. Specifically, Monterey is the one spot that does it most often, for me. I also get distinct banana notes from some Monterey Chards, btw.

When those Chards are overdone with wood, it usually represses the tropical fruit, and you can end up with some mucky butterscotch kinda stuff...but many of the Monterey/Central Coast producers have figured that out (and the public has helped them with feedback :) ), so we're seeing less of that sort of egregious mistreatment.