The place for all things wine, focused on serious wine discussions.

WTN: Kim Crawford Marlborough Sauvignon Blanc, two vintages

Moderators: Jenise, Robin Garr, David M. Bueker

no avatar
User

JC (NC)

Rank

Lifelong Learner

Mon Mar 27, 2006 12:23 pm

Fayetteville, NC

WTN: Kim Crawford Marlborough Sauvignon Blanc, two vintages

by JC (NC) » Wed Apr 11, 2007 1:46 pm

2004 Kim Crawford Marlborough (New Zealand) Sauvignon Blanc
screwcap 12.5% alcohol
$17.25 at The Wine Merchant in Raleigh
Pale gold color in the glass with transparency. Grapefruit and lemon on the nose; attractive fragrance. Very acidic on the palate but still crisp and pleasant with a slight grassiness.

2006 Kim Crawford Marlborough Sauvignon Blanc
13% alcohol
Gooseberry and citrus--acidic and refreshing. Touch of lemon-drop candy. Very sharp acid edge--I'm wondering if it will soften a little in 6-12 months? Very bracing to say the least.
no avatar
User

Dan Donahue

Rank

Ultra geek

Thu Mar 23, 2006 5:02 pm

IL

Re: WTN: Kim Crawford Marlborough Sauvignon Blanc, two vintages

by Dan Donahue » Wed Apr 11, 2007 3:08 pm

JC, thanks for the notes. The Crawford SB is an annual purchase; it goes so well with Thai food in the summer. I thought the '05 was the best of the recent string, but really the vintage variation is usually pretty small.

Your note for the '06 sounds very tempting--I like my SBs to show bracing acidity. I think it comes from all the inexpensive Chiantis that I drank in my younger years.
no avatar
User

Jenise

Rank

FLDG Dishwasher

Tue Mar 21, 2006 2:45 pm

The Pacific Northest Westest

by Jenise » Wed Apr 11, 2007 3:15 pm

Very sharp acid edge--I'm wondering if it will soften a little in 6-12 months?

An SB I buy in British Columbia always comes out like that and we usually don't drink them until about two years after release--always worth the wait, your KC probably will be too though it's kind of counter to the fresh, in your face, youthful zest we usually expect/want from NZ sauv blancs.
My wine shopping and I have never had a problem. Just a perpetual race between the bankruptcy court and Hell.--Rogov
no avatar
User

Randy Buckner

Rank

Wine guru

Sun Mar 05, 2006 11:46 am

Puget Sound

by Randy Buckner » Wed Apr 11, 2007 3:43 pm

I actually find the acidity level on the '06 KC to be mid-range. Obviously our palate expectations and/or experience are different. Do you drink many Sancerres by chance?
no avatar
User

JC (NC)

Rank

Lifelong Learner

Fayetteville, NC

by JC (NC) » Wed Apr 11, 2007 5:05 pm

Not sure of the definition of "many", Randy, but during the summer, in particular, I drink Sauvignon Blanc several times a month--some from New Zealand and some from Sancerre, and occasionally a California one.
no avatar
User

Sam Platt

Rank

I am Sam, Sam I am

Sat Mar 25, 2006 12:22 pm

Indiana, USA

by Sam Platt » Wed Apr 11, 2007 6:03 pm

JC,

Thanks for posting your notes on the Crawford SB's. I really can't second your assessment of the '06. It is my favorite Oz SB of all time. The nose is just plane wonderful and the acidity is crisp, refreshing and doesn't overwhelm the grapefruit and boxwood at all in my opinion. I've drank a half case to date and can't find anything of comparable QPR. The '06 Crawford rocks! It's just my opinion, I could be wrong. :)
Sam

"The biggest problem most people have is that they think they shouldn't have any." - Tony Robbins
no avatar
User

Lou Kessler

Rank

Doesn't buy green bananas

Fri Mar 24, 2006 3:20 pm

by Lou Kessler » Wed Apr 11, 2007 7:34 pm

Sam Platt wrote:JC,

Thanks for posting your notes on the Crawford SB's. I really can't second your assessment of the '06. It is my favorite Oz SB of all time. The nose is just plane wonderful and the acidity is crisp, refreshing and doesn't overwhelm the grapefruit and boxwood at all in my opinion. I've drank a half case to date and can't find anything of comparable QPR. The '06 Crawford rocks! It's just my opinion, I could be wrong. :)

It's my favorite of the last two or three years. So you must be right.
no avatar
User

Randy Buckner

Rank

Wine guru

Sun Mar 05, 2006 11:46 am

Puget Sound

by Randy Buckner » Wed Apr 11, 2007 8:01 pm

Sam, you were just given the Kess of Death.

We go through about 20 cases of NZ SB a year between personal use and entertaining. KC has been a favorite, but if you get the chance try St. Clair, Matua Paretai, Dogpoint, Lawson's Dry Hills and Villa Maria Cellar Selection (if you haven't already done so). They are all winners.
no avatar
User

R Cabrera

Rank

Wine guru

Wed Oct 25, 2006 9:14 pm

NYC

by R Cabrera » Wed Apr 11, 2007 8:46 pm

The Kims Crawford SB is almost a perennial buy for me as my "go to" white qpr when I need one at home. I'm pleased with the 2004 as it is, quite simply, a nice drinking SB.

Ramon
no avatar
User

Sam Platt

Rank

I am Sam, Sam I am

Indiana, USA

by Sam Platt » Wed Apr 11, 2007 9:22 pm

Randy Buckner wrote:We go through about 20 cases of NZ SB a year between personal use and entertaining. KC has been a favorite, but if you get the chance try St. Clair, Matua Paretai, Dogpoint, Lawson's Dry Hills and Villa Maria Cellar Selection (if you haven't already done so). They are all winners.

Randy,

I've tasted all of the above except for the St. Clair. I enjoyed all of them. In general, I like the SB from NZ and am rarely disappointed. The '98 Villa Maria was a particular favorite of mine. The '04 Kim Crawford was my favorite all-time NZ SB until the '06 came along. I could just sit and sniff it for hours on end... okay, at least minutes on end before taking a drink.
Sam

"The biggest problem most people have is that they think they shouldn't have any." - Tony Robbins
no avatar
User

Bob Parsons Alberta

Rank

aka Doris

Tue Mar 21, 2006 3:09 pm

by Bob Parsons Alberta » Thu Apr 12, 2007 12:46 am

Oooops, time to resurrect the famous Open Mike NZ SB!!!!
no avatar
User

Sue Courtney

Rank

Wine guru

Wed Mar 22, 2006 6:33 pm

Auckland, NZ

by Sue Courtney » Thu Apr 12, 2007 6:08 am

For all you KC SB lovers, there is a new label on the market - at least here in NZ - not sure if it is being exported to North America yet or if ever. It is called Crawford Farm - named for the family farm where Kim grew up. Worth keeping an eye out for because your taste buds will simply sizzle with this wine's exuberant, vivacious, punchy, exciting flavours.
Cheers,
Sue
no avatar
User

JC (NC)

Rank

Lifelong Learner

Fayetteville, NC

by JC (NC) » Thu Apr 12, 2007 8:19 am

Bob, I was looking for the Open Mike on New Zealand SB when I posted this but went back about eight or nine pages and didn't find it so started a new thread. I tried a "search" but came up with far too many hits to be practical.
no avatar
User

Bob Parsons Alberta

Rank

aka Doris

Tue Mar 21, 2006 3:09 pm

by Bob Parsons Alberta » Thu Apr 12, 2007 8:46 am

Yeah, sure takes some detective work eh. Anyway, I found it so good researching.
no avatar
User

michael dietrich

Rank

Ultra geek

Wed May 10, 2006 5:09 pm

West Linn, Oregon

by michael dietrich » Thu Apr 12, 2007 11:33 am

For my taste I really like that agressiveness that the new vintages like 2006 seem to show. So far I think that the '06 is better than the '05. I certainly have loved them both. It looks like we will be getting some Villa Maria Cellar Select 2006 in the next month or so. I have not yet tasted it.
no avatar
User

Sam Platt

Rank

I am Sam, Sam I am

Indiana, USA

by Sam Platt » Thu Apr 12, 2007 8:53 pm

Michael,

I have not tasted the '06 Villa Maria Cellar Select yet. Please post your notes when the shipment comes in.
Sam