The place for all things wine, focused on serious wine discussions.

WTN: 2 Reds from Portugal

Moderators: Jenise, Robin Garr, David M. Bueker

no avatar
User

RichardAtkinson

Rank

Wine guru

Mon Aug 28, 2006 2:15 pm

Houston, TX

WTN: 2 Reds from Portugal

by RichardAtkinson » Thu Apr 12, 2007 8:18 pm

2003 Adriano, Douro Valley

Served with roast chicken & wild rice last Sunday. The wine is a blend of 4 traditional port grapes (i.e. touriga francesa, tinta roriz, tinta barroca, touriga nacional) . You can taste that heritage in the wine. It is not a nuance I find particularly appealing in a dinner wine.

The color is a beautiful garnet. Medium heavy bodied w/ plum and black fruit aromas. Reminiscent of merlot, in a way. On the palate, its fairly soft, fruity w/ an interesting tangy mid palate. But...its medium length finish is slightly sweet. Must be the port heritage? About 10.00 and not a wine I'll purchase again.

---------------------------------------------------------

2003 Messias Vinho Tinto, Terras Do Sado (Penninsula de Setubal??...I haven't quite figured out Portuguese labels yet)

A blend of 50% Aragones & 50% Castelao Frances. This is more to my tastes. Medium heavy bodied w/ an initial alcohol on the nose. It blows off fairly quickly and leaves an interesting melange dominated by loads of cigar box / tobacco with hint of red berry fruit. On the palate, the cigar leaf & tobacco are the leading elements. Grippy tannins and a nice acidity would make this a great wine with a steak or other grilled beef dish.

I wasn't eating anything when I tried this one. Too bad...it cries for beef, I think. In any case @ $6.00 / Bottle , it worth a try. I'll certainly be buying more. I liked this one much better than the wine above.

Richard