The place for all things wine, focused on serious wine discussions.

WTN: 2005 Chatter Creek Winery Grenache

Moderators: Jenise, Robin Garr, David M. Bueker

no avatar
User

Jenise

Rank

FLDG Dishwasher

Tue Mar 21, 2006 2:45 pm

The Pacific Northest Westest

WTN: 2005 Chatter Creek Winery Grenache

by Jenise » Fri Apr 13, 2007 5:03 pm

I picked up this Columbia Valley (Washington state) grenache the other day, thinking that either Rumpole or Clark had highly reccomended the winery on this board. I know Doris has mentioned seeing the syrah up in Edmonton, too. I'd never seen their wines on the shelf before.

What a smart little wine! Medium bodied, varietally correct cherry-strawberry-raspberry fruit character, a little pepper, bright and refreshing, good alone and with food. I could drink this all summer long (that is, if summer ever comes), and at $14 a bottle, I wouldn't have to take out a loan to do it. A great find.
My wine shopping and I have never had a problem. Just a perpetual race between the bankruptcy court and Hell.--Rogov
no avatar
User

Bob Parsons Alberta

Rank

aka Doris

Tue Mar 21, 2006 3:09 pm

Re: WTN: 2005 Chatter Creek Winery Grenache

by Bob Parsons Alberta » Fri Apr 13, 2007 6:32 pm

Yeah, there`s a Cab Franc here too. I really think this winery is one to watch out for.

Doris.
no avatar
User

Jenise

Rank

FLDG Dishwasher

Tue Mar 21, 2006 2:45 pm

The Pacific Northest Westest

by Jenise » Fri Apr 13, 2007 6:41 pm

Bob, just got off the phone with Gordy Ramsey, the owner/winemaker. What an interesting story he has--got a job driving a delivery truck for a distributor, at which point all he knew about wine was that it came in three colors. Once he got to taste his passengers, he was hooked, and being a guy who has to take anything he's intrigued by apart he had to figure out what made wine, well, wine. He says he "takes more cues from European wines" than typical American, so for instance his pinot gris and viognier are tank fermented, and he avoids ML. I'm going down to Portland to look at a boat next week, and am going to drop in and taste with him on my way home.
My wine shopping and I have never had a problem. Just a perpetual race between the bankruptcy court and Hell.--Rogov
no avatar
User

rumpole

Rank

Wine geek

Tue Apr 04, 2006 12:16 pm

Washington State

by rumpole » Sun Apr 15, 2007 11:41 pm

Jenise,

I have had these wines and did visit last Spring. A fun visit and good honest wines. I think I bought the 04 Grenache and have concumed a few of the Cab Francs. Have fun on your tasting. Please post your notes on his wines.
no avatar
User

Howie Hart

Rank

The Hart of Buffalo

Thu Mar 23, 2006 4:13 pm

Niagara Falls, NY

by Howie Hart » Mon Apr 16, 2007 5:59 am

Jenise wrote:....I'm going down to Portland to look at a boat next week....
Hey, my brother owns a yacht brokerage in Portland. Oh, never mind, wrong Portland. :?
Chico - Hey! This Bottle is empty!
Groucho - That's because it's dry Champagne.
no avatar
User

Bob Parsons Alberta

Rank

aka Doris

Tue Mar 21, 2006 3:09 pm

by Bob Parsons Alberta » Mon Apr 16, 2007 9:04 am

rumpole wrote:Jenise,

I have had these wines and did visit last Spring. A fun visit and good honest wines. I think I bought the 04 Grenache and have concumed a few of the Cab Francs. Have fun on your tasting. Please post your notes on his wines.

Mi`lud, any tasting notes on the cab franc please?!! Have been eyeing it on the shelf.

edit; Just heard that one store in town carries the grenache!! On my way.