The place for all things wine, focused on serious wine discussions.

Request for recs for Australian wine not available in the US

Moderators: Jenise, Robin Garr, David M. Bueker

no avatar
User

Brian Gilp

Rank

Wine guru

Tue May 23, 2006 5:50 pm

Request for recs for Australian wine not available in the US

by Brian Gilp » Sat Apr 14, 2007 10:10 am

I may have a chance to purchase wine directly from the Australian embassy through a friend who is a Australian Military officer serving a tour in the states. My understanding is that much of what is available is not imported in significant quantities (if at all) into the US normally. This was the case with the beer that I have on order. My friend really does not know wine that much and the wine he does drink is widely available here through normal retail channels so he is really not that much help here. I have been told to put together a list of what I am interested in so that he can check availablility and get me prices. Are there any gems that do not make it to the export market that one would want to hunt out given this opportuntiy.
no avatar
User

Ian Sutton

Rank

Spanna in the works

Sun Apr 09, 2006 2:10 pm

Norwich, UK

Re: Request for recs for Australian wine not available in the US

by Ian Sutton » Sat Apr 14, 2007 11:16 am

Brian
Hunter Semillon. Typically little is exported, but there's some real cellaring gems out there. Tyrrells and McWilliams Mt Pleasant are the big names but also others such as Meerea Park, Glenguin, Huntington, Keith Tulloch, Tower Estate etc.

Also Rutherglen fortifieds (especially the Rare/Grand tokays and Muscats) & some of Seppelts fortifieds. Wineries such as All Saints, Campbells, Chambers, Morris

These would fit the bill of little seen, but distinctive wines of regional character (and highly regarded locally).

For the reds, there are other more restrained wines than the ooze monsters championed by Parker and his points whores TM . If you're given a list to choose from then I'd be happy to comment (as I'm sure would the Aussies who post here). Otherwise, wineries I personally like for restraint and cellaring ability - Bests, Alkoomi, Craiglee, Delatite, Grosset, Heggies, Tahbilk, Yeringberg. There are plenty of others though and the above list is just one of personal taste / experience.

Hope this helps

regards

Ian
no avatar
User

Jenise

Rank

FLDG Dishwasher

Tue Mar 21, 2006 2:45 pm

The Pacific Northest Westest

by Jenise » Sat Apr 14, 2007 11:55 am

Brian, can you get a list of available wines? Would be much easier to feed you advice that way, otherwise there are so many Australian wine producers, we could all throw piles of names out there and maybe only hit one or two, meanwhile not thinking to mention the wines you'd actually have to choose from. But that said, Cape Mentelle wines are exceptional and hard to find here.
My wine shopping and I have never had a problem. Just a perpetual race between the bankruptcy court and Hell.--Rogov
no avatar
User

Brian Gilp

Rank

Wine guru

by Brian Gilp » Sat Apr 14, 2007 1:24 pm

Not sure if I can get a list. My contact indicated that it would be easier for him if I had a list of interest. With the Beer I was able to get a list but that was because the beer selection is limited compared to the wine available. I have been lead to believe that since the Embassy sells (only?) to Australians working in this country the normal way sales work is that those displaced Australians make request for items from home and that this does not operate like a shop with a catalog.
no avatar
User

Eric Ifune

Rank

Ultra geek

Wed Apr 05, 2006 3:51 pm

Las Vegas, NV and elsewhere

by Eric Ifune » Sat Apr 14, 2007 4:33 pm

Can you get Cooper's Sparkling Ale? If so, I'm really jealous.
no avatar
User

Mike B.

Rank

Ultra geek

Fri Aug 25, 2006 10:56 am

Edmonton, Alberta, Canada

by Mike B. » Sat Apr 14, 2007 11:26 pm

Eric Ifune wrote:Can you get Cooper's Sparkling Ale? If so, I'm really jealous.

Mmmm, Cooper's Red. We get that here in Canada. Now if I could find some XXXX, it would take me back to Queensland.

Brian, Alkoomi was mentioned. It's available here in Canada and is quite good. The Riesling is ageworthy.
no avatar
User

JoePerry

Rank

Wine guru

Thu Mar 23, 2006 11:07 pm

Boston

by JoePerry » Sat Apr 14, 2007 11:49 pm

Brian, the best to track down (because they aren't exported, or only in small numbers) IMO are:

Any of the Lindeman’s Reserve wines: Hunter River Burgundy (Shiraz), Hunter River Semillon.

Mount Mary: Any

Best's Great Western: Bin 0, Bin 1, Pinot Meunier, Riesling

Seppelt: Show Sparkling Shiraz, Thompson Family, any Fortified

Tahbilk: 1860, 1933/Reserve

Coldstream Hills: Pinot

Yarra Yering: Pinot

Paringa Estate: Pinot

Bindi: Pinot Block 5

Moondarra: Pinot

Craiglee: Shiraz

Clonakilla: Shiraz
no avatar
User

Randy Buckner

Rank

Wine guru

Sun Mar 05, 2006 11:46 am

Puget Sound

by Randy Buckner » Sun Apr 15, 2007 12:44 am

Brian, I just brought back a case of Pearson Clare Valley Riesling with me when returning from Australia. It is the closest thing to top-notch Alsace Riesling short of the real thing. It is truly stunning and very small production. There is a challenge for your friend!
no avatar
User

Brian Gilp

Rank

Wine guru

by Brian Gilp » Sun Apr 15, 2007 9:38 am

Thanks for all the recomendations everyone.
no avatar
User

Ian Sutton

Rank

Spanna in the works

Norwich, UK

by Ian Sutton » Sun Apr 15, 2007 10:46 am

Brian
I really should have asked you for your general preferences, preferred grapes / styles etc & whether tolerant of heavy oaking or the like.

If you've got any great preferences, then we might be able to give a more bespoke list.

regards

Ian
no avatar
User

Brian Gilp

Rank

Wine guru

by Brian Gilp » Sun Apr 15, 2007 2:21 pm

Ian,

Not sure the best way to phrase this. We like a variety of wines with no real preferences, except that we avoidance most California Chardonnay. We are more tollerant of Oak and gobs than many on this board but the wine still has to have balance. I was trying to think of what my go to wines are but they chance depending upon the company, meal, weather, etc. No real pattern. Lately we have been exploring Greek and Hungarian wines.

The only thing that really bothers us and for which we have experienced recently in some higher end Cal Cabs from the mid 90s that we have opened is that while still basically one dimensional they seemed to die in the mid-palate. No complexity and no finish. These wines for lack of a better word were just boring.

Doubt that helps much.

Brian
no avatar
User

Ian Sutton

Rank

Spanna in the works

Norwich, UK

by Ian Sutton » Sun Apr 15, 2007 3:13 pm

Brian
A broad preference is useful, as it allows you to try out a variety of styles. There are some overworked chardonnays in Oz as well, but also some very smart ones (Leeuwin, Cullen, Giaconda, Mount Mary, Bindi, amongst others).

Might be worth having a browse of Ric Einstein's site http://www.torbwine.com
plus Winorama which is a collective effort
http://www.winorama.com.au
both are non-professional and AFAIK non-commercial sites offering opinions and tasting notes on wines.

Plenty of interesting new stuff emerging from Barossa etc. and TORB's tour diaries are a useful resource to get a feel for a wine region.

hope this helps

Ian
no avatar
User

Bob Henrick

Rank

Kamado Kommander

Thu Mar 23, 2006 7:35 pm

Lexington, Ky.

Re: Request for recs for Australian wine not available in th

by Bob Henrick » Sun Apr 15, 2007 6:55 pm

Brian, I agree with Ian's recommendations as far as Ric Einstein is concerned. Torb is maybe a bit of a tell it as he sees it, but I sure trust his palate, and if you want to know something you don't see readily, email him. In case you are wondering about the word Torb, it is an acro for The Other Red Bigot.
Bob Henrick