The place for all things wine, focused on serious wine discussions.

WTN: 1994 Stonestreet Legacy, Alexander Valley, Sonoma

Moderators: Jenise, Robin Garr, David M. Bueker

no avatar
User

Redwinger

Rank

Wine guru

Wed Mar 22, 2006 2:36 pm

Way Down South In Indiana, USA

WTN: 1994 Stonestreet Legacy, Alexander Valley, Sonoma

by Redwinger » Sun Apr 15, 2007 7:35 am

1994 Stonestreet Legacy, Alexander Valley, Sonoma
A proprietary Red Blend of 51% Cabernet Sauvignon, 39% Merlot, 9% Cabernet Franc & 1% Petit Verdot. I believe this wine precedes Jess Jackson’s acquisition of Stonestreet, but I could be wrong about that.
Decanted about 90 minutes and glad I did so, as there were gobs of sediment. Paired with some grilled steer.
A deep rich purple hue with absolutely no evidence of fade on the rim. I’m no expert on these things, but I suspect this is at peak now. The tannins are quite subtle and almost completely integrated. I read somewhere that the elevage on this blend was 100% new French oak for something like 20 months, but darned if I could find any intrusive oak. Dark black cherry fruit, chocolate notes, with some cedar/leathery/floral tones thrown into the mix for interest. Nicely balanced and refined. I purchased this at a liquor store in rural Minnesota about ten years ago for ~$30. I bought one bottle with the intention of trying it and then going back for more if we liked it. Well, 10 years later I finally opened it. Do you suppose that hole-in-the-wall Beer & Bourbon place still has some in stock?
Smile, it gives your face something to do!