The place for all things wine, focused on serious wine discussions.

wine suggestions needed

Moderators: Jenise, Robin Garr, David M. Bueker

no avatar
User

Howard

Rank

Ultra geek

Wed Mar 22, 2006 11:57 am

Chicago

wine suggestions needed

by Howard » Sun Apr 15, 2007 5:34 pm

Here is a preliminary menu for a charity dinner I'm doing for my kid's school's scholarship fund. There will be 16 people total so I've tried to include dishes that can be made in advance and served buffet style. Dinners like this will be happening all over town, this is just one of them. I'd like to serve at least two wines - sparkler, and wine with main course. I suspect I need a red and a white. I'm stuck on what to serve with the bouillabaisse. Should I serve a separate wine with the cheeses? When should I serve the salad? I'll take any suggestions. Port/tokaj/baumes de venise ??

Apéritifs

Petites madeleines salées au romarin et au fromage (Small savory madelines with rosemary and parmesan)
Pois Chiches de Provence Grillés (roasted chickpeas)
Tapenade noir et olive avec le crostini de fromage de chèvre (tapenade on crostini with herbed goat cheese)

Salade
Salade de Tomates, Pignons de Pin, et Basilic

Pain
Fougasse aux Olives Noires

Plats principaux
Ragoût de boeuf dans le vin rouge, avec le lard, les oignons, et les champignons (beef with bacon/wine and onions)

Bouillabaisse

Fromage
Trois Fromages de Provence

Dessert
Poires Pochés en Vin épicé
Gâteau caramélisé de beurre de pomme (caramelized apple butter cake)
Last edited by Howard on Tue Apr 17, 2007 2:03 am, edited 1 time in total.
Howard
no avatar
User

Cynthia Wenslow

Rank

Pizza Princess

Mon Mar 27, 2006 9:32 pm

The Third Coast

Re: wine suggestions

by Cynthia Wenslow » Sun Apr 15, 2007 6:03 pm

Sounds delicious, Howard.

I prefer my salad after the main, dessert after that with coffee, cheese last with port.
no avatar
User

Howie Hart

Rank

The Hart of Buffalo

Thu Mar 23, 2006 4:13 pm

Niagara Falls, NY

by Howie Hart » Sun Apr 15, 2007 6:29 pm

If you switch places of the Bouillabaisse and the salad, you could serve the bubbly with the Apéritifs and Bouillabaisse. A Riesling ice wine (Ontario perhaps) would go well with the apple cake.
Chico - Hey! This Bottle is empty!
Groucho - That's because it's dry Champagne.
no avatar
User

Dan Donahue

Rank

Ultra geek

Thu Mar 23, 2006 5:02 pm

IL

by Dan Donahue » Sun Apr 15, 2007 8:04 pm

If I use wine in cooking I like to use the same wine for drinking and I also find matching regions on the cheese and wine works well. So maybe a Trevallon VdP Bouches from Provence with some age would cover the cooking along with the beef and cheese courses. A Bandol could also work.
no avatar
User

Howard

Rank

Ultra geek

Wed Mar 22, 2006 11:57 am

Chicago

by Howard » Tue Apr 17, 2007 2:01 am

Thanks for the suggestions. I'll probably go with a Rose or sparkler for the appetizers, Loire sparkler for the bouillabaisse, CdR or ChndP for the stew. I like the coffee idea for the desserts and cheese course last with port or maybe baumes de venise. Guests arrive and depart by trolley/bus so I don't have to worry about them driving home.
Howard
no avatar
User

Mark Lipton

Rank

Oenochemist

Wed Mar 22, 2006 1:18 pm

Indiana

by Mark Lipton » Tue Apr 17, 2007 10:58 am

Howard,
I also think that you'll probably have to move the bouillabaise to before the beef, not least because its flavors will be overwhelmed if served after. I think a Loire sparkler would do nicely with the starters and perhaps with the bouillabaise, too. (The only wines that I've found that do well with bouillabaise are Cassis and Sherry) The beef would do well with many red wines. In addition to Bandol or CdProvence, what about a mature Nebbiolo? And exactly which Provençal cheeses are you contemplating? For instance, a Banon more or less requires a crisp white such as a SB.

Mark Lipton