The place for all things wine, focused on serious wine discussions.

Zinfandel Tasting.

Moderators: Jenise, Robin Garr, David M. Bueker

no avatar
User

Bob Parsons Alberta

Rank

aka Doris

Tue Mar 21, 2006 3:09 pm

Zinfandel Tasting.

by Bob Parsons Alberta » Fri Apr 20, 2007 8:47 am

Last night, I assisted with a Zinfandel tasting at a local winestore downtown. 30 participants enjoyed 6/7 zins, with some meatballs in a BBQ sauce and assorted hard cheeses. The wines chosen for the event were all available in-store and were, I thought, an interesting selection for those who were not too familiar with this varietal. Four Vines "Maverick" came out on top closely followed by a Kunde that was definately old world style to some at the tasting. I was quite keen on the Primitivo (as usual) but this wine was not well received by a few at the event!! Went well with the cheese however and one of the best I have sampled recently.

Here is the line-up of wines tasted, in the order served.....................

`05 Alexander Valley Vineyards "Temptation" Zinfandel.
`04 Four Vines "Old Vine Cuvee" Zin, Paso Robles.
`03 Torcicoda Primitivo, Apulia, It.
`02 Limerick Lane "Collins Vineyard" Zin, Sonoma.
`04 Four Vines "Maverick" Zin, Amador Co.
`02 Kunde Estate "Century Vines" Zin, Sonoma.
`03 Cape Mentelle Zinfandel, Margaret River, Aust.

The Kunde is organic, vines over 100 yrs old! I thought quite oaky still with a shortish finish. Did not do much for me but some liked it a lot. The Oz wine I have posted on before here, very good wine but no fruit bomb! Deep colour, tarry nose, firm tannins and good structure. Need the tooth brush after this one!
I have always thought the Limerick Lane setup to be excellent. Their zins have always been very good in my estimation, and this was good. Blackberry, chocolate, pepper, good tannins. Did not fly off the shelf however! The "Maverick" was the winner here this evening....think some Syrah in here? Spicy, vanilla quality, raisiny. Nice long finish with blueberry tines, not bad for $25 Cdn! None left by the time I went home, cleard off the shelf.
Agh, the Primitivo. Well you either like this style or you cringe. One of the best I have come across lately, always on the lookout for this varietal. Darkist colour here, earthy, gum-coating tannins, good depth and structure. From Antinori, should be good eh?
no avatar
User

Carl Eppig

Rank

Our Maine man

Tue Jun 13, 2006 1:38 pm

Middleton, NH, USA

Re: Zinfandel Tasting.

by Carl Eppig » Fri Apr 20, 2007 9:00 am

Will have to look for the "Maverick." Four Vines seems to be one of the fastest charging outfits around these days. Have admired them since stumbling across their "Naked Chardonnay" a few years ago.
no avatar
User

Bob Parsons Alberta

Rank

aka Doris

Tue Mar 21, 2006 3:09 pm

Re: Zinfandel Tasting.

by Bob Parsons Alberta » Sun Nov 18, 2007 3:27 am

Four Vines seems to be going from strength to strength. The entry-level Zin is selling like hot cakes on the new Grill wine-list here in Edmonton.
Still amazes me that many people only know white zinfandel and think thats it!!

Carl wrote.......Have admired them since stumbling across their "Naked Chardonnay" a few years ago. Agree, a very good chardonnay!