The place for all things wine, focused on serious wine discussions.

What to take to a wine tasting

Moderators: Jenise, Robin Garr, David M. Bueker

no avatar
User

wrcstl

Rank

Wine guru

Wed Mar 22, 2006 2:20 pm

St. Louis

What to take to a wine tasting

by wrcstl » Fri Apr 20, 2007 4:12 pm

This Saturday is a blind wine tasting with Bordeaux from '80's and '90s as the theme. I need to take two of the following four producers.

'89 Grand Puy Lacoste
'89 Talbot
'90 Lagrange
'96 Phelan Segur

Keep in mind that at a tasting a wine usually has to stand out (why I never take old delicate wines), be near the optimum drinking window and good but not the best of the cellar (this is imposed by my wife). Anyone have recent experience on the above wines. All wines have been purchased at release or shortly following.

Walt
no avatar
User

Saina

Rank

Musaroholic

Tue Mar 21, 2006 4:07 pm

Helsinki, Finland

Re: What to take to a wine tasting

by Saina » Fri Apr 20, 2007 4:15 pm

The GPL and Lagrange rock. Even for acid-craving palates like mine, and judging from the response they got when I served them, also from those who like a more plush type of wine. I would take those two. Both have enough fruit to appeal in a tasting with lots of other disturbances about, yet have enough true Bx character to charm those of us who like honest Claret.

-o-
I don't drink wine because of religious reasons ... only for other reasons.
no avatar
User

wrcstl

Rank

Wine guru

Wed Mar 22, 2006 2:20 pm

St. Louis

by wrcstl » Fri Apr 20, 2007 4:18 pm

Otto Nieminen wrote:The GPL and Lagrange rock. Even for acid-craving palates like mine, and judging from the response they got when I served them, also from those who like a more plush type of wine. I would take those two. Both have enough fruit to appeal in a tasting with lots of other disturbances about, yet have enough true Bx character to charm those of us who like honest Claret.

-o-

Otto,
I was leaning that way but haven't had either of these two for a couple of years. Thanks for the current comments.
Walt
no avatar
User

Dale Williams

Rank

Compassionate Connoisseur

Tue Mar 21, 2006 4:32 pm

Dobbs Ferry, NY (NYC metro)

by Dale Williams » Fri Apr 20, 2007 4:47 pm

I don't think I've ever had the '89 GPL, but the '90 Lagrange is a truly fine wine and a real crowd pleaser. The '89 Talbot has generally been a disappointment to me - ok , but not more. I like the '96 Phelan Segur as a fine value, but if the competition is the like of the Lagrange, it's not going to compete well- a better wine for dinner than offline.

I'd agree with the Lagrange and the GPL.