The place for all things wine, focused on serious wine discussions.

Escondido/Temecula Wineries

Moderators: Jenise, Robin Garr, David M. Bueker

no avatar
User

Mark Kazmer

Rank

Just got here

Sat Jun 03, 2006 7:12 pm

Spearfish, SD

Escondido/Temecula Wineries

by Mark Kazmer » Fri Apr 20, 2007 11:31 pm

We are going to be in Escondido for a week and are going to visit a few of the wineries. Any suggestions as to which ones to visit and which bottles to bring home?

Thanks
Mark Kazmer
no avatar
User

Randy Buckner

Rank

Wine guru

Sun Mar 05, 2006 11:46 am

Puget Sound

Re: Escondido/Temecula Wineries

by Randy Buckner » Sat Apr 21, 2007 12:25 am

Mark, to put it bluntly, Temecula is not exactly a hotbed of premium wineries. Pierce's disease has been devastating. That said, there are a couple worthy of a quick visit. Hart Family Winery would be at the top of the list. Here is what a wine friend and writer had to say:

Our trip to Temecula started pleasantly enough. We enjoyed a wonderful barbecue with Joe Hart, owner/winemaker of Hart Winery. But the next day, things turned ugly. The first tasting room we arrived at wanted $6 to taste five wines. We quickly asked, "Is that refundable with purchase?" Sorry, but you can keep the glass. None of us had a glass shortage at home, nor did we want to haul them on the plane. We tasted our wines and left. At the second winery, it was the same deal: $6 for five tastes. And keep the glass. The third stop was more of the same but with a twist: All of the wines were badly oxidized, and the person behind the bar was wearing heavy perfume and didn't know a Petite Sirah from a white Zinfandel.

Angrily, we gave up and headed back toward L.A. Tasting fees - and mediocre wines - had left bad tastes in our mouths.

FWIW...
no avatar
User

Stuart Yaniger

Rank

Stud Muffin

Thu Mar 23, 2006 7:28 pm

Big Sky

by Stuart Yaniger » Sat Apr 21, 2007 7:59 am

Second on that. A once-promising area has been reduced to a desert of stretch limos and knotty-pine tasting rooms. Joe Hart is a gem amidst the dross.
no avatar
User

Carl Eppig

Rank

Our Maine man

Tue Jun 13, 2006 1:38 pm

Middleton, NH, USA

by Carl Eppig » Sat Apr 21, 2007 8:51 am

Welcome to the forum Mark. I agree with Randy and Stuart. In addition to Hart, I would add Mount Palomar. They have some very nice reds as well as whites. Most of the rest in town is dreck.
no avatar
User

David Creighton

Rank

Wine guru

Wed May 24, 2006 10:07 am

ann arbor, michigan

by David Creighton » Sat Apr 21, 2007 1:06 pm

hart is really good - but you might not think to try the hidden gem -- the dry rose! i've heard several writers refer to it privatly as the best in CA
david creighton
no avatar
User

Mark Kazmer

Rank

Just got here

Sat Jun 03, 2006 7:12 pm

Spearfish, SD

by Mark Kazmer » Sun Apr 29, 2007 11:03 pm

Thanks for the tips. Is the Orfila winery in Escondido worth visiting?
Mark Kazmer
no avatar
User

Shaji M

Rank

Wine guru

Thu Apr 05, 2007 3:24 pm

by Shaji M » Mon Apr 30, 2007 12:04 pm

There is a place in Temecula that makes sparking wine, Methode Champenoise. I think it is in Temecula. Anyone familiar with that?
no avatar
User

Peter May

Rank

Pinotage Advocate

Mon Mar 20, 2006 11:24 am

Snorbens, England

by Peter May » Tue May 01, 2007 5:19 am

Shaji M wrote:There is a place in Temecula that makes sparking wine, Methode Champenoise. I think it is in Temecula. Anyone familiar with that?

Thornton Winery

I visited Temecula in 2002. I am sure a lot has changed, but my pick of the wineries is here http://www.winelabels.org.arttem.htm
no avatar
User

Shaji M

Rank

Wine guru

Thu Apr 05, 2007 3:24 pm

by Shaji M » Tue May 01, 2007 6:52 pm

Peter May wrote:
Shaji M wrote:There is a place in Temecula that makes sparking wine, Methode Champenoise. I think it is in Temecula. Anyone familiar with that?

Thornton Winery

I visited Temecula in 2002. I am sure a lot has changed, but my pick of the wineries is here http://www.winelabels.org.arttem.htm

Thornton..that's the one. I went there in the mid 90's. And I thought you only knew about Pinotage. :wink:
Thanks Peter.
no avatar
User

Peter May

Rank

Pinotage Advocate

Mon Mar 20, 2006 11:24 am

Snorbens, England

by Peter May » Fri May 04, 2007 11:13 am

Shaji M wrote:
Peter May wrote:

Thornton Winery

Thornton..that's the one. I went there in the mid 90's. And I thought you only knew about Pinotage. :wink:
Thanks Peter.

You'd be surprised what I know about :roll: