The place for all things wine, focused on serious wine discussions.

WTN: Assorted Cabs and a couple of Chards

Moderators: Jenise, Robin Garr, David M. Bueker

no avatar
User

Diane (Long Island)

Rank

Wine guru

Fri Apr 07, 2006 6:47 pm

WTN: Assorted Cabs and a couple of Chards

by Diane (Long Island) » Sun Apr 22, 2007 5:21 pm

I attended a cabernet and steak dinner at Bobby Van's in NYC on Friday night. Many of the cabs were too young to truly enjoy, but it was fun to try them. The food was delicious.

Our starter wines were

2005 Rochioli Chardonnay - pale color. On the huge nose was oak and butter. A minerally palate that softened as it warmed up. I appreciated tasting this, but this type of wine is the reason I drink very little Cali Chard.

2003 Kistler Chardonnay Hudson Vineyard - Kistler and Kongsgaard are the only California Chards that I seem to favor, but this one didn't thrill me. When first opened, there was a slight nose of minerals. There was more oak present than I care for, but this usually integrates better with more age. My supply of older Kistlers was depleted, so I took a chance with this one. The finish was long with burnt almond.

Both Chards opened up with air and I thought they might show better with my crabcake appetizer. It was not to be.

Next up were cabs and steaks.

1994 Beringer Private Reserve - many people found raspberries emanating from the glass, but for me, it was cherry cough drops. I don't usually like that, but it was toned down, full bodied, mouth coating, and just delicious.

1994 Mondavi Reserve - this is where I got beautiful raspberry aromas. Too bad the nose was better than the palate with the fruit fading in the mouth. While not a bad wine, it paled in comparison to the Beringer.

1994 Harrison - I never heard of this producer, but I liked it. An earthy nose with good fruit peaking through. The palate matched.

1997 Insignia - the last time I had the 1997 was about 3 years ago, and it was shut down. This one was a whole lot better showing dark plums, with mouth filling flavors leading to a beautiful lingering finish.

1997 Pride - More acidity and less big fruit than I am used to in a Pride. Still some tannins present.

1999 Quilceda Creek - sweet fruit on the nose. Some blueberry flavors intertwined with other dark fruit. It's drinking nicely now, although could use more time to, hopefully, integrate the tannins.

2001 Quilceda Creek - I knew this was too young, but it was an opportunity to check on it. I called John at QC a few weeks ago to get his best guess on its drinkability, and he suggested a 3 hour decant. I only had time to give it a 1 1/2 hour decant, before pouring it back in the bottle and make, with ugly traffic, what turned into a 1 3/4 hour drive into the city. When first opened, I took a small sip and was assaulted with acidity and tannins. I hoped it would improve with air. At the restaurant, it showed milk chocolate and huge tannins, but with great structure. I'm very optimistic about its future.

2001 Delectus Sacrasche - big nose of black cherries. Big tannins and a finish that didn't end.

2004 Schrader Beckstoffer To Kalon - there was talk at the other end of the table of the possibility of this being corked. I didn't detect any TCA, but found it to have a port like nose with searing alcohol and tannins that get you on the end.

2004 Rivers-Marie - tough to judge this one. Initially served too cold. As it warmed it showed a pretty, light fruity nose. Attack was good, but missing a mid palate, and showed nicely on the finish. It came across as a little disjointed at this point.

A couple of dessert wines

1999 Freemark Abby Riesling - a nice richness and not cloyingly sweet as many California stickies can be. It was good, but the next one impressed me more.

1996 Valckenberg Chardonnay Eiswein - from Rheinhessen. At first, a funky nose that showed thick honey after it warmed a bit. Flavors of lemon meringue complemented the lovely nose making this a most interesting and satisfying finish....to the wine and to dinner.
Diane
no avatar
User

Howie Hart

Rank

The Hart of Buffalo

Thu Mar 23, 2006 4:13 pm

Niagara Falls, NY

Re: WTN: Assorted Cabs and a couple of Chards

by Howie Hart » Sun Apr 22, 2007 5:57 pm

Diane (Long Island) wrote:1996 Valckenberg Chardonnay Eiswein - from Rheinhessen. At first, a funky nose that showed thick honey after it warmed a bit. Flavors of lemon meringue complemented the lovely nose making this a most interesting and satisfying finish....to the wine and to dinner.

Diane, That sounds very interesting! Somehow I never figured Chardonnay could hang on the vines long enough to be made into an Eiswein, as they ripen so much earlier than Riesling. I had a Rulander (Pinot Gris) TBA a while ago that was fantastic. On the other side of the coin, I recently had a LH Cal Chard that, while others liked it, to me it had no structure or acidity - just sweet. Nice notes.
Chico - Hey! This Bottle is empty!
Groucho - That's because it's dry Champagne.
no avatar
User

Diane (Long Island)

Rank

Wine guru

by Diane (Long Island) » Sun Apr 22, 2007 6:10 pm

Howie - I did a double take at the label. I couldn't believe a Chardonnay Eiswein. It had good acidity, which I find missing in many domestic sweet wines.
Diane
no avatar
User

David M. Bueker

Rank

Riesling Guru

Thu Mar 23, 2006 11:52 am

Connecticut

by David M. Bueker » Mon Apr 23, 2007 7:48 am

I had that Chardonnay Eiswein at a dinner about three years ago. It's not bad, and it comes at a pretty attractive price point.

Good notes Diane. The Beringer Private Reserve does not get a lot of love, but I have always enjoyed it. While it's clearly California, it's not over the top, so it works for this Bordeaux-phile. I drank my only bottle of the '94 Mondavi Reserve a couple of years ago, and found the fruit to be stronger than your impressions. It was grat on its own, but given the style of the Mondavi Reserves of the time I could see it being overshadowed by just about any other Cali Cab.

I also appreciate the data point on the 2001 Quilceda. At least I won't have to open one of mine. :wink:
Decisions are made by those who show up
no avatar
User

Diane (Long Island)

Rank

Wine guru

by Diane (Long Island) » Mon Apr 23, 2007 6:30 pm

David - I'm glad I could help you out with the QC. As a footnote, a couple of sips left in the decanter overnight turned the wine softer while maintaining its good structure.
Diane
no avatar
User

Howie Hart

Rank

The Hart of Buffalo

Thu Mar 23, 2006 4:13 pm

Niagara Falls, NY

by Howie Hart » Mon Apr 23, 2007 8:23 pm

Somehow I missed it the first time I read your post, but I have a bottle of the '97 Insignia that my sons gave me about 3 years ago. Good to know it's drinking well now. Perhaps I'll open it next winter.
Chico - Hey! This Bottle is empty!
Groucho - That's because it's dry Champagne.