The place for all things wine, focused on serious wine discussions.

WTN: BonnyDoon Vin de Paille Muscat 1984....

Moderators: Jenise, Robin Garr, David M. Bueker

no avatar
User

TomHill

Rank

Here From the Very Start

Wed Mar 29, 2006 12:01 pm

WTN: BonnyDoon Vin de Paille Muscat 1984....

by TomHill » Mon Apr 23, 2007 11:04 am

Tried this Sat night w/ cherry bread pudding:
1. BonnyDoonVnyd Vin de Paille MontereyCnty Sweet Muscat (MuscatCanelli/ArroyoSecoVnyd/Greenfield; SaH: 21Brix; SaC: 40Brix; RS: 13%) 1984: Dark brown/olive drab/murky color w/ loads of flotsam&jetsam; intense sweet/grapey/Muscatty almost Moscatel de Setubal slight oak very complex nose; very sweet tart very grapey/muscatty/floral/honeyed some Moscatel de Setubal rather complex flavor; very long quite grapey/Muscatty finish; loads of sweet Muscat character w/ good complexity; far/far more interesting than Randall's Muscat Vin de Glaciere; some like a Moscatel de Setubal w/o the oak and slight oxidation; amazingly good wine; great value at $12.79/hlf
1. This was a Muscat Passito wine that Randall made once or twice. Dried on bamboo trays rather than straw mats as in the Rhone. Nowadays they'd use plastic trays. Not sure if he fan dried them or not. But it showed no funky or oxidivative character that you get from some of this genre.
The dark brown/murky color gave me little hope that the wine would be good. The color indicates oxidation in the wine and we've all been told that oxidative character in a wine is "bad" unless it's "supposed" to be oxidized. Nonetheless, there was no signs of oxidation in either the nose nor the flavor; just loads of sweet Muscat character. And no sign it wouldn't go another 20 yrs is my guess, if'n the cork holds up.
Passito wines are a genre of dessert wines that really should be pursued more in Calif. Some of the Italian Passitos are absolutely stunning wines; some of the world's greatest dessert wines. Absolutely no reason such wines couldn't be made in Calif on a yr in-yr out basis.
Kudos to Randall for once again smashing the barriers of conventionality and thinking outside the box.
Tom
no avatar
User

Clinton Macsherry

Rank

Ultra geek

Tue Mar 28, 2006 1:50 pm

Baltimore MD

Re: WTN: BonnyDoon Vin de Paille Muscat 1984....

by Clinton Macsherry » Mon Apr 23, 2007 12:30 pm

TomHill wrote:Some of the Italian Passitos are absolutely stunning wines; some of the world's greatest dessert wines.

Stop the presses! Mr. "California Sangiovese will relegate Chianti to the dustbins of history" just said something nice about Italian wine!
FEAR THE TURTLE ! ! !
no avatar
User

TomHill

Rank

Here From the Very Start

Awwww, Clinton...

by TomHill » Mon Apr 23, 2007 12:55 pm

I have lots of nice things to say about Eyetalian wines...Lagrein, Chiavennasca, Refosco, Scioppettino, TocaiFriuliano, RibollaGiallo, Bonarda, Marzeminno, Brachetto, Ruche....some of those are wonderful. Just that I don't have much good things to say about the icons...Chianti and Barolo/Barbaresco. THOSE should be relegated to the dustbins of history!! :-)
Tom
no avatar
User

Bernard Roth

Rank

Wine guru

Sat Mar 25, 2006 4:31 pm

Santa Barbara, CA

Re: WTN: BonnyDoon Vin de Paille Muscat 1984....

by Bernard Roth » Tue Apr 24, 2007 12:54 am

I guess it depends upon the Muscat clone. I read that the Alexandria clone is used in the Passito di Pantelleria. I presume it gives a different expression to Pasito than Canelli. Comment?
Regards,
Bernard Roth
no avatar
User

TomHill

Rank

Here From the Very Start

Awwwwwww, Bernie...

by TomHill » Tue Apr 24, 2007 8:51 am

How the heck would I know such arcane trivia as that??
I haven't a clue. I, for one, can't tell much difference in regular Muscat Canellia and Muscat Alexandria. I believe most winemakers believe the Canelli makes lighter/more delicate Muscats than Alexandria. When it manifests itself as a passito, I would guess you can't tell a nickle's (Kansas colloquialism for $.05) worth of difference. But that's just a guess...what the heck would I know??
Tom