The place for all things wine, focused on serious wine discussions.

WTN: 2006 Edmunds St. John Gamay Bone-Jolly Rose

Moderators: Jenise, Robin Garr, David M. Bueker

no avatar
User

David M. Bueker

Rank

Riesling Guru

Thu Mar 23, 2006 11:52 am

Connecticut

WTN: 2006 Edmunds St. John Gamay Bone-Jolly Rose

by David M. Bueker » Mon Apr 23, 2007 8:44 pm

2006 Edmunds St. John Gamay Bone-Jolly Rose - USA, California, Sierra Foothills, El Dorado County (4/23/2007)
Eminently slurpable! Deep pink color. Strawberries, cherries and limestone dust on the nose. Ripe red fruit palate with just a hint of astringency. Smooth, refreshing and ever so drinkable. One glass was gone before I knew it, and half the bottle was gone in what seemed like a few minutes.

Fantastic wine!
no avatar
User

Bob Henrick

Rank

Kamado Kommander

Thu Mar 23, 2006 7:35 pm

Lexington, Ky.

Re: WTN: 2006 Edmunds St. John Gamay Bone-Jolly Rose

by Bob Henrick » Mon Apr 23, 2007 9:11 pm

David M. Bueker wrote:2006 Edmunds St. John Gamay Bone-Jolly Rose - USA, California, Sierra Foothills, El Dorado County (4/23/2007)
Eminently slurpable! Deep pink color. Strawberries, cherries and limestone dust on the nose. Ripe red fruit palate with just a hint of astringency. Smooth, refreshing and ever so drinkable. One glass was gone before I knew it, and half the bottle was gone in what seemed like a few minutes.

Fantastic wine!

David, thanks for the report. I have some of this on the way, and it sounds like I will need to order more. I only got 4 bottles of it, and it sounds like that won't last long.
Bob Henrick
no avatar
User

David M. Bueker

Rank

Riesling Guru

Connecticut

by David M. Bueker » Tue Apr 24, 2007 6:11 am

I started with 3, and after 1 glass knew I had to have 12 more even though I have no place to put them. They will most likely be dispatched with all speed over the summer, so it's not a big deal though.
Decisions are made by those who show up
no avatar
User

Marc D

Rank

Wine guru

Wed Mar 29, 2006 6:44 pm

Bellingham WA

by Marc D » Tue Apr 24, 2007 1:18 pm

David,

Can you give me some sense of how dry the Bone Jolly Rose tastes to you? Also the abv and if there is any noticeable heat present from the alcohol?

Much obliged,
Marc
no avatar
User

Bob Henrick

Rank

Kamado Kommander

Lexington, Ky.

by Bob Henrick » Tue Apr 24, 2007 1:39 pm

Marc, I am not David, but I am jumping to tell you that I am getting a mixed case of ESJ wines and included the B-J rose based on the red B-J. I am hoping to get the case either today late or tomorrow sometime, and After allowing a few days for the wine to settle I will open one and decide about a full case for summer. I am betting that the wine is dry, if not bone dry, under 1% I suspect.
Bob Henrick
no avatar
User

Florida Jim

Rank

Wine guru

Wed Mar 22, 2006 1:27 pm

St. Pete., FL & Sonoma, CA

by Florida Jim » Tue Apr 24, 2007 1:51 pm

Marc D wrote:Can you give me some sense of how dry the Bone Jolly Rose tastes to you? Also the abv and if there is any noticeable heat present from the alcohol?

abv 13.2, none noticeable, bone dry.
I recently followed this over a week by having a glass, putting the screwcap back on and putting it back in the fridge. On the 7th day there was no drop-off at all, none, and the wine was just as good and fresh as it was on day one.
Sensational rose, IMO.
Best, Jim
Jim Cowan
Cowan Cellars
no avatar
User

TomHill

Rank

Here From the Very Start

Wed Mar 29, 2006 12:01 pm

Not David, Either...But...

by TomHill » Tue Apr 24, 2007 1:54 pm

The wine is totally dry AFAIK. I could detect no residual sugar on my palate. And it has a brisk acidity to it. The alcohol was not at all noticible to me.
It's everything you want in a rose for light/summertime drinking.
Tom
no avatar
User

Bob Henrick

Rank

Kamado Kommander

Lexington, Ky.

Re: Not David, Either...But...

by Bob Henrick » Tue Apr 24, 2007 2:19 pm

TomHill wrote:The wine is totally dry AFAIK. I could detect no residual sugar on my palate. And it has a brisk acidity to it. The alcohol was not at all noticible to me.
It's everything you want in a rose for light/summertime drinking.
Tom

Tom, in my note to Marc, I was erring on the side of understatement I suppose. I can hardly wait to try mine when it get here and settles down for a few days. BTW, if you see it in your market try the Ch. de Lancyre Pic St. Loup rose. It is awfully nice and packed full of red fruit with again a very good acidity. I am buying it by the case at $6 per 750ml. Stealing it is more truthful.
Bob Henrick
no avatar
User

Marc D

Rank

Wine guru

Wed Mar 29, 2006 6:44 pm

Bellingham WA

by Marc D » Tue Apr 24, 2007 2:44 pm

Bob, Jim and Tom -

Thanks. The wine sounds perfect for summer, if summer ever gets to the NW. Lasting for a week in the fridge is a total bonus, because sometimes I like a glass of Rose while cooking or grilling, and then open something else to go with dinner.

I don't mind a little RS in a Rose if the wine has enough interest to handle the sugar. Evan a little sweetness in a Rose is a deal breaker for my wife though, and its no fun to drink Rose alone.

Marc
no avatar
User

SteveEdmunds

Rank

Wine guru

Thu Mar 23, 2006 3:05 am

Berkeley, CA

by SteveEdmunds » Tue Apr 24, 2007 3:17 pm

its no fun to drink Rose alone.

Marc; I have a sneaking hunch that you will never drink this wine alone. :D
I don't know just how I'm supposed to play this scene, but I ain't afraid to learn...
no avatar
User

David M. Bueker

Rank

Riesling Guru

Connecticut

by David M. Bueker » Tue Apr 24, 2007 4:03 pm

I am David...indeed the wine is dry. It's fruity but dry. No heat at all, but as said good acidity, and I like the bit of chalkiness/astringency. I also think that will round out a bit with a few months in the cellar (if any of my bottles last that long).
no avatar
User

Bob Henrick

Rank

Kamado Kommander

Lexington, Ky.

by Bob Henrick » Tue Apr 24, 2007 5:00 pm

I swear I keep saying that I have enough wine for the present, then I keep finding wines and tasting notes on wines that I have to either get some of, or some more of. Have you had the red B-J David, and if so, what was your opinion of it. I just got a six pack of it along with a case of his zinfandel, now the mixed case that will be coming in tomorrow, add those to what I already had of Steve's wines and he will soon be the leading winery in my cellar. But that "ain't" no bad thing for me. I also have a bottle or two of Gamay noir from the Michigan winery Chateau. Grand Traverse, I need to open these wines side by side...maybe something to do for Mo'Cool.
Bob Henrick
no avatar
User

David M. Bueker

Rank

Riesling Guru

Connecticut

by David M. Bueker » Wed Apr 25, 2007 6:55 am

I really like the regular Bone-Jolly. I'm actually out of it, but the rosé will keep me occupied.

ESJ is the most heavily represented producer in my cellar that does not use umlauts.
no avatar
User

David M. Bueker

Rank

Riesling Guru

Connecticut

by David M. Bueker » Wed Apr 25, 2007 8:39 am

By the way, on the second night the wine was as good, if not better. The finishing astringency was better integrated, and the fruit was even brighter.

If there is any justice in the universe Steve will sell out of this wine in short order.
no avatar
User

James Roscoe

Rank

Chat Prince

Wed Mar 22, 2006 6:43 pm

D.C. Metro Area - Maryland

by James Roscoe » Wed Apr 25, 2007 10:58 am

David M. Bueker wrote:By the way, on the second night the wine was as good, if not better. The finishing astringency was better integrated, and the fruit was even brighter.

If there is any justice in the universe Steve will sell out of this wine in short order.

I hope not, I haven't been to the Wine Source since Easter!
Yes, and how many deaths will it take 'til he knows
That too many people have died?
The answer, my friend, is blowin' in the wind
The answer is blowin' in the wind.