The place for all things wine, focused on serious wine discussions.

Anniversary wines

Moderators: Jenise, Robin Garr, David M. Bueker

no avatar
User

Nick Stevens

Rank

Wine geek

Tue Mar 20, 2007 3:27 pm

Anniversary wines

by Nick Stevens » Mon Apr 23, 2007 10:58 pm

Any recommendations for wines from the years 2001, 2001, and 2004 which will age for the next 15-20 years? These are the years of my anniversary and the birth of my kids. I am having a difficult time finding wines to age which will not break the bank, but have a few including a fifth growth bordeaux, 2000 far niente cabernet, and 2004 shafer one point five. Other suggestions would be much appreciated.
no avatar
User

Saina

Rank

Musaroholic

Tue Mar 21, 2006 4:07 pm

Helsinki, Finland

Re: Anneversary wines

by Saina » Tue Apr 24, 2007 12:41 pm

Nick Stevens wrote:Any recommendations for wines from the years 2001, 2001, and 2004 which will age for the next 15-20 years. These are the years of my anneversary and the birth of my kids. I am having a difficult time finding wines to age which will not break the bank, but have a few including a fifth growth bordeaux, 2000 far niente cabernet, and 2004 shafer one point five. Other suggestions would be much appreciated.

Nick, you did mean 2000, '01 and '04? What sort of budget would you be looking in, and what sort of styles? I guess Cabernet from your choices, but are you open to all sorts of suggestions?

2001 was a good year in (all parts of?) Germany. Riesling lasts well and rarely is prohibitively expensive. I tend to like a steelier type of Ruwer and Saar wine, so I would personally buy a bit of Karthäuserhof and some other nice estates from the M-S-R.
I don't drink wine because of religious reasons ... only for other reasons.
no avatar
User

Nick Stevens

Rank

Wine geek

by Nick Stevens » Tue Apr 24, 2007 12:55 pm

Yes, those are the years. I love reislings and never thought about them as aging candidates. Thanks for the recommendations.
no avatar
User

Bob Henrick

Rank

Kamado Kommander

Thu Mar 23, 2006 7:35 pm

Lexington, Ky.

by Bob Henrick » Tue Apr 24, 2007 1:58 pm

Nick, if you are fond of reds, I would heartily recommend chateaunuef (CndP) wines from the southern Rhone. In particular I think that the Pegau, and the Bois de Boursan would be candidates for aging that long provided you have very good facilities. Aging for 15 - 20 years will need some very good temperature control around 55F. I mentioned those two wines in particular, but I think any CndP will suit for what you want. And, if the $$ are not important then I would put Chateau de Beaucastel at the top o\f the list. Good luck.
Bob Henrick
no avatar
User

Dale Williams

Rank

Compassionate Connoisseur

Tue Mar 21, 2006 4:32 pm

Dobbs Ferry, NY (NYC metro)

by Dale Williams » Tue Apr 24, 2007 2:13 pm

It depends of course on your budget.
For 2000 I'd think first of Bordeaux, though prices are skyrocketing there are still some reasonable ones in the 5ths, cru bourgeois, satellite, and lesser St Emilion groups. While most people think of 2000 as an early drinking Burg vintage, there are some that should do well through maybe 2015.

For 2001 German Riesling is a great idea (and better priced than most reds). Great year for Sauternes. Excellent in Piedmont, Northern Rhone. Better on Right bank than left in Bdx. Better in Cotes de Nuits than CdBeanue.

2004 Margaux seems to be the sweet spot of Bordeaux. Some good Burgs.
no avatar
User

Nick Stevens

Rank

Wine geek

by Nick Stevens » Tue Apr 24, 2007 2:30 pm

Awesome suggestions all! Thanks very much. Just out of curiosity, do most of you store your wines at home? I have the few cellar candidates in my collection at Vinfolio in San Francisco, as I am too paranoid about destroying them in my basement which is not cellarproof as of yet.
no avatar
User

Bob Henrick

Rank

Kamado Kommander

Thu Mar 23, 2006 7:35 pm

Lexington, Ky.

by Bob Henrick » Tue Apr 24, 2007 2:41 pm

Nick, I have a Vinotheque that holds about 455 bottles, and I keep the ageables in that. the drink now kind I drink now.
Bob Henrick