The place for all things wine, focused on serious wine discussions.

European hidden cellars

Moderators: Jenise, Robin Garr, David M. Bueker

no avatar
User

Hans

European hidden cellars

by Hans » Tue Apr 24, 2007 3:21 am

What is happening to European collectors? I have just read an article by decanter about how and lafit collcetor is selling his collection. Why are the keep selling out every singel wine they got? I have begin to get worried about how every singel european collector are selling every thing they got, so some rich american or asian can buy it. No offens. But that how it is. What do you think? Should european collectors sale their collections?

Hans
no avatar
User

Steve Slatcher

Rank

Wine guru

Sat Aug 19, 2006 11:51 am

Manchester, England

Re: European hidden cellars

by Steve Slatcher » Tue Apr 24, 2007 3:40 am

It's their property Hans. Why shouldn't they sell it?

As far as I am concerned the more people selling the better. I am more concerned about the rich buyers.
no avatar
User

Tim York

Rank

Wine guru

Tue May 09, 2006 2:48 pm

near Lisieux, France

by Tim York » Tue Apr 24, 2007 5:58 am

If they don't want to drink the wine or need the money, why shouldn't collectors sell? It is better than letting the bottles go over the top or leaving them to uninterested heirs or not having enough money to eat or pay hospital bills.

However, I do find it a bit sad when people decide that they can no longer enjoy a lovingly cellared bottle just because its price has gone into the stratosphere.

Incidentally I know several Europeans who are building up collections, so not all bottles are disappearing across the oceans.
Tim York
no avatar
User

Ian Sutton

Rank

Spanna in the works

Sun Apr 09, 2006 2:10 pm

Norwich, UK

by Ian Sutton » Tue Apr 24, 2007 5:33 pm

Depends if they were a collector because they loved the wines, or just saw it as an investment opportunity. If the latter then they'll sell because the price is right. If the former, then I guess they'd only sell because there wasn't any more room for next years en primeur arrivals!
no avatar
User

Steven Noess

Rank

Wine geek

Fri Oct 13, 2006 6:45 pm

Minneapolis, MN USA

by Steven Noess » Tue Apr 24, 2007 8:43 pm

Hans wrote:What is happening to European collectors? I have just read an article by decanter about how and lafit collcetor is selling his collection. Why are the keep selling out every singel wine they got? I have begin to get worried about how every singel european collector are selling every thing they got, so some rich american or asian can buy it. No offens. But that how it is. What do you think? Should european collectors sale their collections?

Hans

What does it matter? If my concern for European collectors' habits was the biggest thing I had to worry about, I would have a very good life indeed.