The place for all things wine, focused on serious wine discussions.

WTN: A lovely Montefalco Rosso and a pretentious Montepulciano (d'Abruzzo)

Moderators: Jenise, Robin Garr, David M. Bueker

no avatar
User

Tim York

Rank

Wine guru

Tue May 09, 2006 2:48 pm

near Lisieux, France

WTN: A lovely Montefalco Rosso and a pretentious Montepulciano (d'Abruzzo)

by Tim York » Tue Apr 24, 2007 5:46 am

Both bottles were consumed on the terrace with pizza on a radiant day in this extraordinarily warm April.

MONTEFALCO ROSSO ARQUATA 2004 – Cantina Adanti, Bevagna (PG) ( Sangiovese 70%, Sagrantino 15%, Barbera, Merlot and Cabernet Sauvignon each 5%). I paid EUR 8 at the estate.

This wine represents for me exactly what I am looking for in an Italian wine to go with simple tasty food. C: Quite deep and brilliant ruby. N: A lovely combination of dark fruit with cherry, anis and garrigue notes. P: Beautifully balanced with the same aromas, bright fruit, savoury acid tang, good flesh and body. Perfect, in its way, right now and superb QPR.

As this bottle emptied quickly, I went back to the cellar and brought up-

“PLANET WAVES” 2002 – Fattoria Le Terrazze, Numana (AN), Marche (Montepulciano 75%, Merlot 25%). I paid EUR 25, I think, at the estate but it is advertised on US sites for up to US$ 79! Wine dedicated to Bob Dylan of whom estate owner Antonio Terni is a big fan.

One glance and one sniff sufficed to tell that this was an “important” wine. C: Deeper and darker than the previous. N: Full ripe red fruit. P: Merlot’s softening and populist influence was strongly apparent on the full, ripe and round palate but Montepulciano contributed liveliness and structure and certain bramble notes on the finish whilst I attribute some, to me, welcome herbaceous notes to the cool vintage. Some vanilla notes were apparent but were well integrated.

Undoubtedly a good wine in a modern style but I prefer Montepulciano with its earthy vigour unadulterated. No doubt, however, Planet Waves will be popular with the crowds, if they can afford it, and with the pointy people.

In an unexpected way the modest sincerity, perfect balance and tastiness of the Montefalco Rosso quite upstaged the much more ambitious and showy Planet Waves.
Tim York
no avatar
User

Anders Källberg

Rank

Wine guru

Sun Mar 26, 2006 10:48 am

Stockholm, Sweden

Re: WTN: A lovely Montefalco Rosso and a pretentious Montepulciano (d'Abruzz

by Anders Källberg » Tue Apr 24, 2007 3:05 pm

Thanks for the nice notes, Tim. I need to check my notes from when I visited Le Terrazze, but as far as I remember, I also liked the pure Montepulciano wines the best. Their 2001 Visons of J was quite sensationally good at a tasting in Stockholm a couple of years ago.

Your post reminded me of your request for recommendations for your upcoming visit to Umbria and Marche that you posted in September last year. Have you posted anything about your impressions from that trip? If not, at least a short summary of what gave you the best impressions would be very nice, if you can find the time for it.
Cheers, Anders
no avatar
User

Tim York

Rank

Wine guru

Tue May 09, 2006 2:48 pm

near Lisieux, France

by Tim York » Tue Apr 24, 2007 5:26 pm

Hi, Anders. I did post quite a long note which you will find if you do a search on "Umbria" or "Marche". These were bottles which I brought back with me. I have also done some notes on Italian tastings back in Belgium.
Tim York
no avatar
User

Anders Källberg

Rank

Wine guru

Sun Mar 26, 2006 10:48 am

Stockholm, Sweden

by Anders Källberg » Tue Apr 24, 2007 5:41 pm

Nice Tim! I'll look for them later. Now it is getting a bit late.
Good night
Anders
no avatar
User

Paulo in Philly

Rank

Wine guru

Tue Mar 21, 2006 5:26 pm

Philadelphia, PA

by Paulo in Philly » Tue Apr 24, 2007 7:05 pm

MONTEFALCO ROSSO ARQUATA 2004 – Cantina Adanti, Bevagna (PG) ( Sangiovese 70%, Sagrantino 15%, Barbera, Merlot and Cabernet Sauvignon each 5%). I paid EUR 8 at the estate.

This wine represents for me exactly what I am looking for in an Italian wine to go with simple tasty food. C: Quite deep and brilliant ruby. N: A lovely combination of dark fruit with cherry, anis and garrigue notes. P: Beautifully balanced with the same aromas, bright fruit, savoury acid tang, good flesh and body. Perfect, in its way, right now and superb QPR.

As this bottle emptied quickly, I went back to the cellar and brought up-

Tim - glad to know your enjoyed the Adanti. I had their 02 when I was in Italy in January. Here is the link to my post about it:

http://www.wineloverspage.com/forum/vil ... ght=adanti