The place for all things wine, focused on serious wine discussions.

WTN: Oyster Bay 2006 Sauvignon Blanc

Moderators: Jenise, Robin Garr, David M. Bueker

no avatar
User

MattThr

Rank

Ultra geek

Mon Apr 23, 2007 4:25 am

UK

WTN: Oyster Bay 2006 Sauvignon Blanc

by MattThr » Tue Apr 24, 2007 7:45 am

I'm very new to wine as a hobby. Inspired by nothing more than a desire to stop wasting my money and time on poor wine I've learned a little bit and decided to start keeping some tasting notes.

This is my very first. So if I've made a hash of it, or if I've picked a wine so commonly available that a public tasting note is hardly worth the effort then I apologise. But the purpose of posting it here is as much to gain feedback on how to write a note as it is to share my experience. So here goes.

-------

The aroma of the wine reminds me as much of summer meadows as anything else - grass and background scents of fresh blossom. It seems very pale in appearance, even for a white wine.

Initial taste seems very strongly acid - almost offputingly so. But this is fleeting and is rapidly replaced by a burst of flavour over the tongue that seems almost to fizz like sherbet. The predominant taste is that of lime, with strong undertones of grass and the buttery quality that so dominates in oaked Chardonnay. These eventually fade to be replaced by a slightly acid, generic citrus flavour at the finish.
no avatar
User

Keith M

Rank

Beer Explorer

Sat Jan 06, 2007 2:25 am

Finger Lakes, New York

Re: WTN: Oyster Bay 2006 Sauvignon Blanc

by Keith M » Tue Apr 24, 2007 8:31 am

Great notes, Matt, and welcome to the forum!

I don't think I have had the 2006, but I really enjoyed the 2005 Oyster Bay. A very decent wine for the money (I think around $12), in my opinion, as well as garnering general approval from a gaggle of friends.

Looking forward to your notes on future wines!
no avatar
User

MattThr

Rank

Ultra geek

Mon Apr 23, 2007 4:25 am

UK

by MattThr » Tue Apr 24, 2007 9:58 am

Keith M wrote:Great notes, Matt, and welcome to the forum!

I don't think I have had the 2006, but I really enjoyed the 2005 Oyster Bay. A very decent wine for the money (I think around $12), in my opinion, as well as garnering general approval from a gaggle of friends.

Thanks. I paid £7.50 a bottle here in the UK (about $15?) but the duty is higher. I'm not a huge fan of white generally but I did find this one very enjoyable - better than a lot of Chardonnay and Pinot Grigio you can buy at that price.

One question I forgot - I didn't bother with a score because it seemed silly for me to be rating things out of 10/20/100/whatever when my wine experience doesn't extend to the upmost reaches of the scale. Would tasting notes typically provide one, and if so, is there any way to make up for the lack of experience except to increase my disposable income to the level where I can buy £200+ bottles of first growth Bordeaux? :)
no avatar
User

Bob Parsons Alberta

Rank

aka Doris

Tue Mar 21, 2006 3:09 pm

by Bob Parsons Alberta » Tue Apr 24, 2007 10:03 am

Keith M wrote:Great notes, Matt, and welcome to the forum!

Looking forward to your notes on future wines!

Right on man. I agree and welcome to the forum. Look forward to more TNs.
Oh, I`m Doris.
no avatar
User

Glenn Mackles

Rank

Ultra geek

Fri Aug 18, 2006 11:52 am

Virginia

by Glenn Mackles » Tue Apr 24, 2007 1:07 pm

The Oyster Bay SB goes for around $12 here as well. And I fully agree... a very nice easy drinking bottle for the money.

Glenn
"If you can find something everyone agrees on, it's wrong." Mo Udall
no avatar
User

Marc D

Rank

Wine guru

Wed Mar 29, 2006 6:44 pm

Bellingham WA

by Marc D » Tue Apr 24, 2007 1:21 pm

I tried a glass of that wine not too long ago and think your TN captures it very well.

Welcome to WLDG, and I hope you keep posting.

Marc
no avatar
User

Clint Hall

Rank

Wine guru

Wed Mar 22, 2006 1:39 am

Seattle, WA

by Clint Hall » Tue Apr 24, 2007 1:41 pm

Welcome aboard, Matt. Good TN job.

Hmmmm? I wonder where the buttery Chardonnay-like quality came from. Malolactic? Oak?
no avatar
User

Jenise

Rank

FLDG Dishwasher

Tue Mar 21, 2006 2:45 pm

The Pacific Northest Westest

by Jenise » Tue Apr 24, 2007 1:49 pm

MattThr wrote:One question I forgot - I didn't bother with a score because it seemed silly for me to be rating things out of 10/20/100/whatever when my wine experience doesn't extend to the upmost reaches of the scale. Would tasting notes typically provide one, and if so, is there any way to make up for the lack of experience except to increase my disposable income to the level where I can buy £200+ bottles of first growth Bordeaux? :)

Matt, I would say the majority of people on this board don't use points, and that's regardless of experience level. Which is not to say that some of us don't use a system of sorts. At tastings where a lot of wines are involved, I use a simple grade school grading system of A-D and F wherein C is average, and ='s and -'s add degrees. Reading back through notes later, it helps me sort out which wines I liked better than others, which were equal, and which were less than satisfactory. I rarely include those in the tasting notes I write, however, and instead favor the words good, very good, excellent and outstanding to categorically relate how much I liked the wine. And those last words, how much I liked the wine, are potent: I make no pretense at objectivity. The other wines present, the food, and even the company all influence the wine experience. I once thought that as I gained more experience I would become more inclined to score wines by points, but in fact I've become less so because I've learned that wine criticism is far more subjective than I thought. Really, it all comes down to taste. For instance , Parker gives big points to wines with a lot of extract and ripe sweetness--attributes many (including me) would deduct points for.

You mention first growth Bordeaux, so you're no doubt aware that one of the great Bordeaux reviewers in the world is Britain's own Michael Broadbent. How does he rate wines? Stars. Four is tops. It would definitely be a good idea for you to adopt some type of system just to sort out your own thoughts over time, but do points make a better tasting note? No, it's the words that count. So go simple. After all, you're not an expert, and your reactions/responses aren't going to be consistent over time. If you do everything right, a Matt 92 today is probably going to be a Matt 88 by this time next year.

Btw, good program on buying cases, but don't apologise for drinking them as you go along. That's how you'll learn. Drink one of each about every six months and take notes each time. Each time you open a bottle look back at your notes from six months ago, and compare. At the point you think the wine has declined instead of improved, then drink another one soon and see if you find that bottle identical. If it is, then put the rest of the case in the drinking queue. Don't rush to consume them but once they've, to your taste, peaked, it's time. Oh, and expect your idea of 'peak' to change over time, too. That's what makes it such a fun hobby.
My wine shopping and I have never had a problem. Just a perpetual race between the bankruptcy court and Hell.--Rogov