The place for all things wine, focused on serious wine discussions.

Why don't you WTN?

Moderators: Jenise, Robin Garr, David M. Bueker

no avatar
User

Redwinger

Rank

Wine guru

Wed Mar 22, 2006 2:36 pm

Way Down South In Indiana, USA

Why don't you WTN?

by Redwinger » Wed Apr 25, 2007 8:13 am

I've noticed what seems like the majority of tasting notes posted here are authored by a relatively small core of participants. A few are ITBers but for the most part they are average Joes and Janes sharing their experiences. So here's my question: Why don't you post WTNs or why you don't post them more frequently?
Curious Wm
Smile, it gives your face something to do!
no avatar
User

David M. Bueker

Rank

Riesling Guru

Thu Mar 23, 2006 11:52 am

Connecticut

Re: Why don't you WTN?

by David M. Bueker » Wed Apr 25, 2007 8:15 am

I'm just about done posting WTNs because most just slip down the board into oblivion. Only a few provoke conversation (e.g. ESJ Rosé).
Decisions are made by those who show up
no avatar
User

Bruce Hayes

Rank

Wine guru

Wed Mar 22, 2006 10:20 am

Prescott, Ontario, Canada

by Bruce Hayes » Wed Apr 25, 2007 8:17 am

I usually take notes on almost everything I drink. The only exception will be if the wine isn't terribly interesting or exciting, or if I have posted a TN on it recently.

As for posting them on this site, that is usually due to laziness. I use by company's BB (don't tell anyone :roll: ) to hold my wine notes and sometimes I amass quite a few before I get motivated to enter them here.
no avatar
User

Mike Filigenzi

Rank

Known for his fashionable hair

Mon Mar 20, 2006 4:43 pm

Sacramento, CA

by Mike Filigenzi » Wed Apr 25, 2007 8:28 am

Laziness. I used to take more notes and I posted most of those that I wrote. But over the last couple of years, I just don't seem to get motivated to do either one as much. I don't mind the lack of response to my TNs - I figure I'm posting them mostly for future reference. I just don't seem to get around to writing down what I drink.

Mike
"People who love to eat are always the best people"

- Julia Child
no avatar
User

Ryan D

Rank

Ultra geek

Thu Jan 11, 2007 2:07 pm

Ringwood, NJ

by Ryan D » Wed Apr 25, 2007 8:31 am

I'm not qualified to post WTNs. Unless you want a bunch of posts that say, "That was good," "Extremely tasty" and "Ugh, that tasted funky." :P
I can certainly see that you know your wine. Most of the guests who stay here wouldn't know the difference between Bordeaux and Claret.
- Basil Fawlty
Check out my -->blog<--.
no avatar
User

Robin Garr

Rank

Forum Janitor

Fri Feb 17, 2006 1:44 pm

Louisville, KY

by Robin Garr » Wed Apr 25, 2007 9:50 am

Ryan D wrote:I'm not qualified to post WTNs.

Yes, you are. :)

Unless you want a bunch of posts that say, "That was good," "Extremely tasty" and "Ugh, that tasted funky." :P

That would be okay. It's still useful advice to fellow forumites, particularly as we learn to calibrate our tastes against yours!
no avatar
User

Tom Troiano

Rank

Wine guru

Mon Mar 27, 2006 4:22 pm

Massachusetts

by Tom Troiano » Wed Apr 25, 2007 9:53 am

With 3 kids and hockey 8 monrhs per year my wine drinking is somewhat limited. I also think many get bored of it (taking notes on every wine) after many years.

I always thougth this board was much better when there was some good wine geek conversation. TNs don't really lend themselves to that. TNs are important when I do a search on a specific wine but (in my humble opinion) they are far less intereting (in the forum) than some good wine related conversation.

That's my 2 cents.

Tom T.
no avatar
User

Robin Garr

Rank

Forum Janitor

Louisville, KY

by Robin Garr » Wed Apr 25, 2007 9:56 am

David M. Bueker wrote:I'm just about done posting WTNs because most just slip down the board into oblivion. Only a few provoke conversation (e.g. ESJ Rosé).

I really hate to hear^H^H^H see you and others express that feeling, David. Sharing tasting reports is really a big part of what we do here. It's useful information, it helps create a live, consumer-focused buying guide, and <i>on occasion</i> a post will generate a long conversation. Usually they don't, but is that a bad thing? Sometimes a TN is sufficient unto itself, doesn't really prompt a reply (other than "Great post" or "thanks!" ... we can do that, if folks really want us to), but the lack of a round of applause doesn't mean it's not appreciated in any way, shape or form.

From my standpoint as forum janitor and barkeep, I love it when folks post tasting reports, and I wish so many regular participants weren't reluctant to do so. To re-emphasize it, though, we don't require a particular format and we certainly don't require any specific level of wine knowledge. Telling what you drank and whether you liked it is sufficient; adding a bit of description or thoughts on why you loved it or didn't is lagniappe.

If a lot of folks feel that unresponded-to notes are a problem, we can recalibrate our customs to address that. Over the years, though, we've been to various extremes on this, and in the early days when every post drew a lot of "thanks!" and compliments, it got a little old after a while, and we pretty much got to the point where the thanks and appreciation were quietly understood without being said. We can certainly revisit that if there's a call to do so.

But quietly deciding not to post TNs is a sad response, and I'd really like to intervene and ask what the forum as a group, and I as the moderator, could do to prevent that.
no avatar
User

David M. Bueker

Rank

Riesling Guru

Thu Mar 23, 2006 11:52 am

Connecticut

by David M. Bueker » Wed Apr 25, 2007 10:02 am

Much of it is my own issue. I like to talk about the wines I am drinking. If I do it any more than i already do at home my wife is going to kill me! So posting notes is a way to generate conversation, but so much of what I drink is out of the mainstream (even for this forum) that it is tough, especially since John T. and several others are no longer active here.

By the way, it's not much different anywhere else.
Decisions are made by those who show up
no avatar
User

Robin Garr

Rank

Forum Janitor

Louisville, KY

by Robin Garr » Wed Apr 25, 2007 10:24 am

David M. Bueker wrote:Much of it is my own issue. I like to talk about the wines I am drinking. If I do it any more than i already do at home my wife is going to kill me! So posting notes is a way to generate conversation, but so much of what I drink is out of the mainstream (even for this forum) that it is tough, especially since John T. and several others are no longer active here.

By the way, it's not much different anywhere else.

I wouldn't want the forum to stand in the way of an amicable family relationship. :)

But that being said, I hope you'll find a way to give us at least a summary, David. The wines you love are probably my one serious weak point as a wine geek - I've never really embraced German wines despite repeated trips to the wine country - but I need to stay abreast, and the kind of notes - and discussions - that you and the Germanphiles have are an important part of our content.

If I've been delinquent about thanking you - or jumping into your threads to ask dumb noobie questions ;) - I regret that.

And, as a ritual response, I'm less concerned about what happens in other forums than what happens here. If we can solve this challenge, I'm sure the others will copy whatever we come up with ...
no avatar
User

Gary Barlettano

Rank

Pappone di Vino

Wed Mar 29, 2006 5:50 pm

In a gallon jug far, far away ...

by Gary Barlettano » Wed Apr 25, 2007 10:47 am

I haven't been varying my wine diet lately, so I just haven't posted anything much, although it is interesting to reassess the same wine at intervals.

Well, I just joined a wine club sponsored by a local merchant. (We finally have a fine wine shop in our neck of the woods. When you realize that I live about 20 minutes south of Napa, that comment should evoke a disbelieving "huh!?") It's not a bad deal. The economy membership costs $50.00 for three months and for the money you get two wines a month ($12.00 to $20.00 price range), a monthly pick-up party, other discounts and perks ... not to mention the cute accountant from their San Diego branch.

What I'm getting at though is that I'm going to let the merchant drive my choices which will probably be different from anything I'd normally buy. This variety and novelty will probably inspire me to write more WTN's.
And now what?
no avatar
User

James Roscoe

Rank

Chat Prince

Wed Mar 22, 2006 6:43 pm

D.C. Metro Area - Maryland

by James Roscoe » Wed Apr 25, 2007 10:52 am

This is an interesting question as I have wanted to ask the sort of opposite question for a long time. I need help taking notes. I don't know how people do it. I try, but I soon get caught up in the tasting of the wines and forget about writing my impressions.

Another problem is the intimidation factor. So many of you write so well, it is intimidating to those of us who don't write well. This, may be an ego thing, especially with me, but I would like all my notes to read like Florida Jim or Dale, or Otto (the king IMHO). I know the secret is to just do it as the commercial says, but I'm not sure I can.

A final factor is that few reply to notes. I don't think this is a criticism of the notes. It usually is just that the note is in general agreement with what we all taste so there is unanimity. Maybe we should just begin responding to all WTNs with a line that says "nice notes", or something like that. It would be more gratifying and help people realize that the WTNs are read.

Of course, a last factor is time. We live in a busy world. This is our pleasure, our fun, our enjoyment. Let's not make it more than it has to be. I do think it's important to acknowledge the importance of WTNs in this forum and we should all start doing it in a more visible way. Just my $.02
Yes, and how many deaths will it take 'til he knows
That too many people have died?
The answer, my friend, is blowin' in the wind
The answer is blowin' in the wind.
no avatar
User

RichardAtkinson

Rank

Wine guru

Mon Aug 28, 2006 2:15 pm

Houston, TX

by RichardAtkinson » Wed Apr 25, 2007 10:53 am

I don't think we should gauge a TN by responses. But, possibly, by the number of people that have taken time to read it. There are a lot more lurkers than posters on boards like this, unfortunately.

What I do notice though is the widespread variet of markets that we all represent. I take notes of TN's I find on this board, but rarely do I find those wines in our market area. I suspect it is much the same for the rest of us.

Doesn't stop from trying though.

Richard
no avatar
User

Keith M

Rank

Beer Explorer

Sat Jan 06, 2007 2:25 am

Finger Lakes, New York

by Keith M » Wed Apr 25, 2007 10:53 am

As someone who gains a lot from the tasting notes posted by David and others, but does not have the background to take part in a geeky conversation, it's hard for me to figure out how to ensure that folks like David get a payoff from posting their notes. But believe me, I bookmark them, reference them, and use them to figure out the winescape as I broaden my drinking horizons. I wish you got more geeky conversation out of it--as I learn tons from that as well.

I'm really worried, however, about the responses from Ryan and Randy. I for one want to register my preference for more tasting notes of whatever style. The proportion of wines that have tasting notes posted here is incredibly miniscule--and even when there are notes posted, the number of data points is often incredibly small (often just one tasting note). Just knowing whether a wine is 'funky' 'good' or 'extremely tasty' is far more information than I have available to me right now--and even better when it comes from a WLDG participant with whom I can calibrate my palate with over time.

And thanks to Robin for bringing in a word that I actually had to look up:
Robin Garr wrote:adding a bit of description or thoughts on why you loved it or didn't is lagniappe

Quite an etymology on that one:
m-w.com wrote:Etymology: American French, from American Spanish la ñapa the lagniappe, from la + ñapa, yapa, from Quechua yapa something added
: a small gift given a customer by a merchant at the time of a purchase; broadly : something given or obtained gratuitously or by way of good measure
no avatar
User

Brian K Miller

Rank

Passionate Arboisphile

Fri Aug 25, 2006 1:05 am

Northern California

by Brian K Miller » Wed Apr 25, 2007 10:57 am

I like talking about wine (probably too much), and this is a venue when I can pontificate without annoying too much people I know.

I post a lot of notes because it's a good way to summarize my thoughts. I don't have the sophisticated palette (or-especially-nose) of many here, and I tend to drink a lot of obscure, somewhat overpriced California wines, so I don't "expect" a lot of replies to my tasting notes (although a response is always nice :) )
...(Humans) are unique in our capacity to construct realities at utter odds with reality. Dogs dream and dolphins imagine, but only humans are deluded. –Jacob Bacharach
no avatar
User

Ryan D

Rank

Ultra geek

Thu Jan 11, 2007 2:07 pm

Ringwood, NJ

by Ryan D » Wed Apr 25, 2007 11:02 am

I will try harder to come up with something in the future. Getting in some interesting wines soon so look forward to getting a fix on them.

I do plan on posting a review of the Garden State Wine Club, of which the 2nd month I should be receiving late this week.

One thing I will say... I do very much appreciate the WTNs. Though I do not read all of them... I browse what looks interesting, stuff related to wines I've tried or will try, and the "party notes" which include notes on an event are especially enjoyable.
I can certainly see that you know your wine. Most of the guests who stay here wouldn't know the difference between Bordeaux and Claret.
- Basil Fawlty
Check out my -->blog<--.
no avatar
User

Gary Barlettano

Rank

Pappone di Vino

Wed Mar 29, 2006 5:50 pm

In a gallon jug far, far away ...

by Gary Barlettano » Wed Apr 25, 2007 11:05 am

James Roscoe wrote:Another problem is the intimidation factor. So many of you write so well, it is intimidating to those of us who don't write well. This, may be an ego thing, especially with me, but I would like all my notes to read like Florida Jim or Dale, or Otto (the king IMHO). I know the secret is to just do it as the commercial says, but I'm not sure I can.

C'mon, teach, you can do it! I am colorblind, have a palate destroyed by thirty years (of now ceased) chain pipe-smoking, and I'm about as literate as a lobotomized bonobo. I write WTN's for myself, i.e. to structure my wine experience ... to help me discover why I like or dislike this, that or the other thing. I really don't worry about what the next guy thinks, although I do appreciate comment, critique, and other types of exchange as part of the learning experience. Just develop some kind of exposition for yourself to give yourself direction and go from there. Look at our buddy, Maria! She jumped in with both feet.
And now what?
no avatar
User

Dale Williams

Rank

Compassionate Connoisseur

Tue Mar 21, 2006 4:32 pm

Dobbs Ferry, NY (NYC metro)

by Dale Williams » Wed Apr 25, 2007 11:06 am

Let me just add to the chorus of those who value tasting notes, even if we don't respond. I generally only respond if I have had the particular wine, but that doesn't mean I don't pay attention (I had never heard of Vollenweider before last week, but now mightpurchase if I ran across).
no avatar
User

Robin Garr

Rank

Forum Janitor

Louisville, KY

by Robin Garr » Wed Apr 25, 2007 11:28 am

Keith M wrote:lagniappe

Quite an etymology on that one

Oopsie! It's actually such a common word in New Orleans and Cajun country that it didn't occur to me that it would be obscure. D'oh! Glad you enjoyed the research anyway, Keith. :)
no avatar
User

Clinton Macsherry

Rank

Ultra geek

Tue Mar 28, 2006 1:50 pm

Baltimore MD

by Clinton Macsherry » Wed Apr 25, 2007 12:54 pm

James Roscoe wrote:A final factor is that few reply to notes. I don't think this is a criticism of the notes. It usually is just that the note is in general agreement with what we all taste so there is unanimity.

That could be a factor with some wines that many of us have tasted and loved (e.g., Pepiere) or hated. But it may have more to do with respect for the individuality of taste than with unanimity. And for me, at least, the majority of WTNs are about wines I've never tried.

James Roscoe wrote:Maybe we should just begin responding to all WTNs with a line that says "nice notes", or something like that. It would be more gratifying and help people realize that the WTNs are read.

As much as I appreciate the geniality most of us share here, James, more-or-less automatic "nice notes" replies--and then the "well, thanks" replies to the replies--wouldn't IMO be just gratutitous. They'd contribute to the clutter of threads that for me, at least, have been one of the more annoying features of eBOB on the occasions when I've looked in. Mind you, I've certainly complimented posters in the past, especially relatively new ones. But I'd hate to see it become a kneejerk reaction. There's always the view count to let people know the WTNs are read.
Last edited by Clinton Macsherry on Wed Apr 25, 2007 1:27 pm, edited 1 time in total.
FEAR THE TURTLE ! ! !
no avatar
User

Bill Spohn

Rank

He put the 'bar' in 'barrister'

Tue Mar 21, 2006 7:31 pm

Vancouver BC

by Bill Spohn » Wed Apr 25, 2007 1:20 pm

Dirty non-secret.

I only post notes for my own nefarious archival purposes, not for the edification of others. In fact it makes not a blind bit of difference to me if anyone else ever reads them or not.

If someone does read them and has an interesting comment to make, it is often fun and sometimes informative, but that's icing on the cake - the main reason is to be able to find my own notes in the future
no avatar
User

Jon Peterson

Rank

The Court Winer

Sat Apr 08, 2006 5:53 pm

The Blue Crab State

by Jon Peterson » Wed Apr 25, 2007 1:33 pm

Ilove to read TNs and I have posted a few of my own. But - to be honest - I can be intimidated by the skill and writing ability shown by many others on this site. Perhaps intimidated enough to think twice about adding my own. I know - it's crazy for me to give this feeling any credit, yet there it is.
no avatar
User

Dan Donahue

Rank

Ultra geek

Thu Mar 23, 2006 5:02 pm

IL

by Dan Donahue » Wed Apr 25, 2007 2:20 pm

I probably open 14 bottles a month and write notes on maybe 5. All my notes are on CT and I export some to Squires, some to Wino Depot and some here. No set formula but I try to match areas of discussion or interest, e.g. Squires has a string of Burgundy posts going on now.

I tend not to do notes on wines recently covered ('06 Crawford SB), boring wines (a recent '03 Loimer GV) or wines that I don't connect with ('03 Ridge Ponzo), so I think 20% is a reasonable average. I don't mind few responses; the "great note" or "I have six of those" responses just do not add much.

But I read most TNS; these snapshots of any wine's evolution are extremely helpful. They drink so much better in the sweet spot, so I hope the notes continue.
no avatar
User

MattThr

Rank

Ultra geek

Mon Apr 23, 2007 4:25 am

UK

by MattThr » Wed Apr 25, 2007 2:26 pm

Just a quick observation. I sat down last weekend and for the first time, drank a glass of wine with the express intention of writing a tasting note. It proved quite an eye-opening experience - the focus of knowing I was planning to write a paragraph made me concentrate on and enjoy the wine that much more.

I'm new to wine as a hobby, but I can recommend the process as worthwhile to anyone as a first step in learning how to go about tasting wine.
Next