The place for all things wine, focused on serious wine discussions.

Why don't you WTN?

Moderators: Jenise, Robin Garr, David M. Bueker

no avatar
User

Bill Spohn

Rank

He put the 'bar' in 'barrister'

Tue Mar 21, 2006 7:31 pm

Vancouver BC

Re: Why don't you WTN?

by Bill Spohn » Wed Apr 25, 2007 2:30 pm

MattThr wrote:Just a quick observation. I sat down last weekend and for the first time, drank a glass of wine with the express intention of writing a tasting note. It proved quite an eye-opening experience - the focus of knowing I was planning to write a paragraph made me concentrate on and enjoy the wine that much more.

Matt that is exactly why I do blind tastings and talk about the wines - it concentrates your attention just as taking notes does.

I'll tell you what concentrates it even more - being told that after you have tasted it you will have to stand up in front of everyone and comment on it! Our Commanderie de Bordeaux does this once in awhile (they seem to single me out, but that could be because I seem always willing to offer opinions).
no avatar
User

JC (NC)

Rank

Lifelong Learner

Mon Mar 27, 2006 12:23 pm

Fayetteville, NC

by JC (NC) » Wed Apr 25, 2007 3:07 pm

Way to go Redwinger for fostering discussion and making others think about posting WTN! I am one of many I'm sure who look forward to David B's notes on German wines. Even if it's one I'm likely to drink, he usually gets there before me and lets me know what to expect. I also appreciate Dale's notes on Burgundies I might like and so on and so forth.
no avatar
User

Glenn Mackles

Rank

Ultra geek

Fri Aug 18, 2006 11:52 am

Virginia

by Glenn Mackles » Wed Apr 25, 2007 4:02 pm

I think in large part the bottom line answer is that I feel both unqualified and inadequate. Another part is my attitude, I drink wine, I don't study it. I drink wine with company and often with food. I find that often I will get different impressions of the same wine which seem to differ at least as much due to environmental factors than to the wine itself. To me to do a WTN, I would have to concentrate more on the elements of the wine rather than the overall experience, which is what I am really interested iin.

Another point, I simply do not have much of an educated palate at least as compared to others. I cannot seem to diferentiate all the subtle flavors others seemingly find readily. I cannot distinguish between different kinds of berry tastes, let alone minerals, or grasses. What would be more meaningful to me would be to compare wines to other wines. For example, I have a pretty good idea about what a burgundy tastes like. It would be useful to me to compare a domestic pinot noir to a French burgundy. This would be far more useful to me than discussions of berry flavors and minerality.

What I can tell you about a wine is if I liked it and perhaps how I think it compares to one of the same variety I had previously. To the extent that is useful, I will try to do better and post more.

Glenn
"If you can find something everyone agrees on, it's wrong." Mo Udall
no avatar
User

Isaac

Rank

Ultra geek

Thu Mar 30, 2006 6:08 pm

Corvallis, Oregon

by Isaac » Wed Apr 25, 2007 4:31 pm

I've posted a few. I got the impression that no one read them, so I don't bother anymore.
no avatar
User

Howie Hart

Rank

The Hart of Buffalo

Thu Mar 23, 2006 4:13 pm

Niagara Falls, NY

by Howie Hart » Wed Apr 25, 2007 4:40 pm

Most of the wine I drink is wine I made myself. I don't think posting TNs on these would be worthwhile for 2 reasons. First of all, I'm too close to the wines to be objective. Secondly, what good would such a note be to others who do not have access to my wines. However, I do post TNs on almost all the store-bought wines I drink.
Chico - Hey! This Bottle is empty!
Groucho - That's because it's dry Champagne.
no avatar
User

MikeH

Rank

Wine guru

Wed Mar 29, 2006 11:07 pm

Cincinnati

by MikeH » Wed Apr 25, 2007 4:54 pm

Robin Garr wrote:
Ryan D wrote:I'm not qualified to post WTNs.

Yes, you are. :)

Unless you want a bunch of posts that say, "That was good," "Extremely tasty" and "Ugh, that tasted funky." :P

That would be okay. It's still useful advice to fellow forumites, particularly as we learn to calibrate our tastes against yours!

I agree with Robin on this one!!!!
Cheers!
Mike
no avatar
User

JC (NC)

Rank

Lifelong Learner

Mon Mar 27, 2006 12:23 pm

Fayetteville, NC

by JC (NC) » Wed Apr 25, 2007 4:58 pm

To Glenn Mackles,
You make a couple valid points. One is that the environment (a romantic occasion, a visit to a picturesque winery, being with good friends) can color your appreciation of a wine. Also, that wine should be enjoyed, not just studied. I've arrived at the point where I usually taste wine with a small memo book at hand to record my impressions, but now and then I put away the memo book and just enjoy the conversation and meal. I say if this is how you enjoy wine, go for it! Nothing wrong with that!
If you do come across a wine that really wows you or inspires you, you might just let us know the vintage and name and see if anyone else has tried it and has any thoughts on it. That in itself would be doing us a service.
no avatar
User

MikeH

Rank

Wine guru

Wed Mar 29, 2006 11:07 pm

Cincinnati

by MikeH » Wed Apr 25, 2007 5:03 pm

Randy R wrote:Dave? Dave's not here, man.

Thanks for a laugh from the past!!!!
Cheers!
Mike
no avatar
User

Brian K Miller

Rank

Passionate Arboisphile

Fri Aug 25, 2006 1:05 am

Northern California

by Brian K Miller » Wed Apr 25, 2007 5:12 pm

Glen's comments reminds me of when I was really into photography-architecture, mostly (still enjoy it). Rather than simply enjoy a road trip or vacation, I would find myself entering a hyper-vigilent state looking for good photographic subjects. I love San Francisco (the closest big city), but I no longer bring a camera along for that very reason.
...(Humans) are unique in our capacity to construct realities at utter odds with reality. Dogs dream and dolphins imagine, but only humans are deluded. –Jacob Bacharach
no avatar
User

Bill Spohn

Rank

He put the 'bar' in 'barrister'

Tue Mar 21, 2006 7:31 pm

Vancouver BC

by Bill Spohn » Wed Apr 25, 2007 5:16 pm

Randy R wrote: Some can post the same info on Musar every few weeks

ImageImageImage
no avatar
User

Tom N.

Rank

Wine guru

Thu Mar 23, 2006 10:17 pm

Soo, Ont.

by Tom N. » Wed Apr 25, 2007 8:36 pm

Hi Bill,

Even though I do post a few WTNs, the reasons I don't do more is because I am lazy, I am not inspired (most of notes are on good wines, not mediocre or bad ones), or because I just don't think about doing it. I don't mind if no one replies, but I do track how many read my notes to determine the response. I post the notes for other people to read and if most do not I will not post for a while.

I love the notes by the masters already mentioned (Florida Jim, Otto, Hoke, Robin, of course, and a few others whose names that have slipped my deteriorating mind.) I think these notes are a service to the "community." And it is a great way to vicariously experience wine. Some are really inspiring like Julia B's "Forgive me Father, for I have Zinned."
Tom Noland
Good sense is not common.
no avatar
User

Paulo in Philly

Rank

Wine guru

Tue Mar 21, 2006 5:26 pm

Philadelphia, PA

by Paulo in Philly » Wed Apr 25, 2007 8:57 pm

We're all different people here with one common passion: wine. Some of you are very good about articulating what you taste and drink more often than say someone like me; I don't drink wine every night, especially when I have a lot of singing engagements and rehearsals. I was particularly quite shy about posting when I first joined, but eventually I got over myself and I am jumping in at where I am, especially the more familiar I get with the terminology and articulating what I taste. I do have to say, too, that I realized that people write their own experiences with wine, and some times it does not match my own, so, it is truly subjective, so I have become less intimidated.

I liked what Randy from Paris said: we all contribute the way we know how. I travel somewhat and like to post pics - pictures are worth 1000 words - to me at least! Randy does an incredible job with TalkShoe - his spirit and curiosity inspire me. Julia might not post often, but she dances on tables in our chatroom and has a wonderful spirit; Otto, Anders, Jenise, etc. etc. We all inspire each other and know we can ask each other questions, laugh together, and even quietly enjoy someone else's wonderfly articulated and written post quietly, from our very own little corner of the world, sipping a glass of something we might not know exactly how to describe, but that we most certainly treasure.
no avatar
User

Charles Weiss

Rank

Ultra geek

Tue Mar 21, 2006 6:47 pm

Boston

by Charles Weiss » Wed Apr 25, 2007 8:58 pm

I guess I'm in the majority who post few tasting notes but read many. I mostly post notes in response to discussions about specific wines. It would feel like a significant loss to me if those who do post notes stopped doing so. It happens that David, who shares many of my vinous tastes and cellared wines, as well as always being a "good read," and Tom, with his notes about wines over the courses of a meal, write notes of particular interest to me.
Charles
Charles Weiss
no avatar
User

David Lole

Rank

Wine guru

Thu Mar 23, 2006 3:49 am

Canberra, Australia

by David Lole » Wed Apr 25, 2007 9:30 pm

Sorry to hear you feel this way, David. I regard your tasting notes as compelling reading and I always try to respond if there's something I can add/need to ask.

I'm sure your notes are muchly appreciated by hundreds of people who view this site.
Cheers,

David
no avatar
User

JoePerry

Rank

Wine guru

Thu Mar 23, 2006 11:07 pm

Boston

by JoePerry » Wed Apr 25, 2007 10:40 pm

David M. Bueker wrote:I'm just about done posting WTNs because most just slip down the board into oblivion. Only a few provoke conversation (e.g. ESJ Rosé).

I read every note you post, but hardly ever respond, because:

A) The wine you are drinking could, in fact, be a totally made up trap. You might be waiting for the day that I respond, "I love 2001 Wolfgartenspergerheinleiner Halbtrocken Kabinett" to which you might say, "Ha! Wolfgartenspergerheinleiner didn't MAKE a Halbtrocken Kabinett in 2001! Jerkstore!"

B) You sum up my feeling so well that I don't have anything to add.

I always enjoy reading your notes, though. It helps me to make my list of "Wines David owns that I want to drink next time I visit."

Myself, I haven't posted notes in a while. I've got a huge logjam going back to the Fall. The reasons for that are:

A) At this point, I feel like every TN I write is expected to be in some classic epic format.

B) My base work hours are 45 - plus weekly meetings with parents, staff and board that increase my "at-work" hours to something closer to 50. I also take night classes which keep me out until 10:15pm on Monday and Wednesday. Any free time I get is spent on homework, cleaning, cooking, wedding plans, Jeebuses or Amy. It doesn't leave much time for TNs. As it happens, my classes end in two weeks, and right below "spend more time with Amy" is "post backlog of notes".

or

C) David has already posted a note on the same wine that's even better.
no avatar
User

James Roscoe

Rank

Chat Prince

Wed Mar 22, 2006 6:43 pm

D.C. Metro Area - Maryland

by James Roscoe » Wed Apr 25, 2007 11:10 pm

JoePerry wrote:C) David has already posted a note on the same wine that's even better.

This is a huge problem. I hope neither you nor David ever give up posting WTNs. I appreciate that 2007 is a coplete miss for Joe Perry, at least until after THE wedding. I assume in the fall we will see a few more notes?
Yes, and how many deaths will it take 'til he knows
That too many people have died?
The answer, my friend, is blowin' in the wind
The answer is blowin' in the wind.
no avatar
User

Mike Filigenzi

Rank

Known for his fashionable hair

Mon Mar 20, 2006 4:43 pm

Sacramento, CA

by Mike Filigenzi » Wed Apr 25, 2007 11:36 pm

David M. Bueker wrote:... but so much of what I drink is out of the mainstream (even for this forum) that it is tough, especially since John T. and several others are no longer active here.

By the way, it's not much different anywhere else.

OK, I'm going to respond to this part of your post.

PLEASE keep posting WTN's on stuff that's out of the mainstream! Pretty much by definition, I'll have nothing to contribute to such a note so I'll probably not do so. But three weeks later, when I'm standing around in some wine shop and I notice some dusty bottles of Guberheimer Fahrvergnugen Riedelspittel Auslese that I would never have otherwise recognized, I'll buy a bottle or two because I saw your note on it. And despite my sarcastic naming convention, trying something new is what keeps me going with the whole wine thing. So here's a vote for more "off the beaten path" WTN's. Whether I have anything of value to add to them or not.

I would have responded to more of your post, but Joe beat me to it and said it better.

Mike
"People who love to eat are always the best people"

- Julia Child
no avatar
User

Bruce K

Rank

Wine guru

Thu Mar 23, 2006 6:06 pm

by Bruce K » Thu Apr 26, 2007 9:15 am

I haven't posted any in a while because my workload has been very heavy lately and it's been hard to find the time. So I've got a huge backlog piling up and the bigger it gets, the more intimidating it is to think about working through it.

For what it's worth, reading others' tasting notes is my favorite part of participating in this forum. When I don't respond (which is most of the time), it's either because 1) I don't have a question or 2) I have nothing to add or share that might contribute to further discussion. It doesn't mean I don't appreciate the time and effort it took for someone to post them or that I didn't enjoy reading them.
no avatar
User

Saina

Rank

Musaroholic

Tue Mar 21, 2006 4:07 pm

Helsinki, Finland

by Saina » Fri Apr 27, 2007 2:37 pm

Bill Spohn wrote:
Randy R wrote: Some can post the same info on Musar every few weeks

ImageImageImage

Oh dear. Is that really all I've done? :oops:

I tend to only post TNs because I'm such an unintellectual drinker that I really can't write about any geeky stuff relating to wine. I can only discuss what I'm drinking - and I happen to like discussing what I drink (much to the chagrin of my usual dining companion). I do have recurring bouts of anti-TN malaise for reasons I have expounded upon several times in other threads, so I won't repeat them here, so I wish I could contribute in some other way because I like discussing wine. But at the moment I am learning much more from reading that I can give by posting. Hence my dull and contrived TNs will continue for the time being - at least until I actually manage to learn something about wine.

-O-
I don't drink wine because of religious reasons ... only for other reasons.
no avatar
User

Robin Garr

Rank

Forum Janitor

Fri Feb 17, 2006 1:44 pm

Louisville, KY

by Robin Garr » Fri Apr 27, 2007 3:03 pm

Otto Nieminen wrote:my dull and contrived TNs will continue for the time being - at least until I actually manage to learn something about wine.

As a wannabe Musarophile who doesn't get to drink it as much or as often as you, I for one am delighted to hear this.
no avatar
User

Kyrstyn Kralovec

Rank

Wine guru

Mon Nov 20, 2006 3:50 pm

Washington DC, Oregon bound

by Kyrstyn Kralovec » Fri Apr 27, 2007 3:50 pm

I echo the sentiments of those above who feel that their notes may not be as colorful or interesting as others. Also, and I've mentioned this before, my nose and palate SUCK so there's a bit of fear that I'm going to post something and everyone is going to go, "Huh? Did she even DRINK this wine??". However, the responses from Robin and some others encouraging notes of whatever kind, as long as they're honest, may lead me to reconsider.

Of course, there is the time factor too, and the fact that I probably don't take as many notes as I might because often I just want to sit and enjoy the wine and not have to analyze it.

As to people not responding to WTN's, I noticed early on that this was the case, even towards some of the more prolific and knowledgeable posters, so I never was offended or bothered by lack of response.

BTW, opened a bottle of Dr.H Thanisch Bernkasteler Badstube Kabinett 2004 last night, and it was quite enjoyable. That's all.
I swear, by my life and my love of it, that I will never live for the sake of another man, nor ask another man to live for mine. ~John Galt
no avatar
User

Marc D

Rank

Wine guru

Wed Mar 29, 2006 6:44 pm

Bellingham WA

by Marc D » Fri Apr 27, 2007 4:05 pm

Bruce K wrote:I haven't posted any in a while because my workload has been very heavy lately and it's been hard to find the time. So I've got a huge backlog piling up and the bigger it gets, the more intimidating it is to think about working through it.

For what it's worth, reading others' tasting notes is my favorite part of participating in this forum. When I don't respond (which is most of the time), it's either because 1) I don't have a question or 2) I have nothing to add or share that might contribute to further discussion. It doesn't mean I don't appreciate the time and effort it took for someone to post them or that I didn't enjoy reading them.

I have missed your notes on the Loire reds, etc. Post when you get dug out of your current workload.

2 I tried recently I think you would like, the 2004 Baudry Grezeaux and the 05 Breton Franc a Pied, excellent examples of Chinon and Bourguiel. I will try to post something on them later.

Best,
Marc
no avatar
User

Sam Platt

Rank

I am Sam, Sam I am

Sat Mar 25, 2006 12:22 pm

Indiana, USA

by Sam Platt » Fri Apr 27, 2007 5:01 pm

I read nearly every WTN. Usually, I have no basis for responding, or discussing the subject wine. I definitely appreciate reading the notes none the less. If I weren't such a slug I would post more notes myself. Unfortunately, my insight is often limited to "tastes good", or "I don't like it".
Sam

"The biggest problem most people have is that they think they shouldn't have any." - Tony Robbins
no avatar
User

Bruce K

Rank

Wine guru

Thu Mar 23, 2006 6:06 pm

by Bruce K » Sat Apr 28, 2007 12:23 pm

Thanks for the kind words, Marc. Maybe I'll just post my Loire notes and get those out of the way.

I absolutely love every Baudry Grezeaux I've ever tried; will definitely try to get ahold of the 2004. I do have the 2005 Breton Franc a Pied, haven't popped one yet -- do you think it's a wine to cellar or drink now?
PreviousNext