The place for all things wine, focused on serious wine discussions.

WTN: 2005 d'Arenberg "Stump Jump" GSM

Moderators: Jenise, Robin Garr, David M. Bueker

no avatar
User

Redwinger

Rank

Wine guru

Wed Mar 22, 2006 2:36 pm

Way Down South In Indiana, USA

WTN: 2005 d'Arenberg "Stump Jump" GSM

by Redwinger » Thu Apr 26, 2007 11:10 am

2005 d'Arenberg "Stump Jump" GSM
OK, I'm not usually a fan of Australian wines (nice generalization eh?), but when I stopped by the local shop today they had a bottle of this open. Darn nice and would be even better with some grilled meats. Not at all overblown or over-oaked (yes there is some oak). Very nice persistency on the finish. The only quibble is a bit of a hole in the mid-palate, but this may fill in a bit with time. Not one to age for years and years...pretty darn nice right now. Under screwcap and priced right at ~$12.
Bill
Smile, it gives your face something to do!
no avatar
User

Jenise

Rank

FLDG Dishwasher

Tue Mar 21, 2006 2:45 pm

The Pacific Northest Westest

Re: WTN: 2005 d'Arenberg "Stump Jump" GSM

by Jenise » Thu Apr 26, 2007 12:51 pm

Bill, this is a wine I used to keep on hand for a neighbor and frequent dinner guest who preferred red wine but liked a juicy, less serious style. What you tasted sounds like a step up from what I remember, which is all to the good.
Last edited by Jenise on Thu Apr 26, 2007 2:16 pm, edited 1 time in total.
My wine shopping and I have never had a problem. Just a perpetual race between the bankruptcy court and Hell.--Rogov
no avatar
User

James Roscoe

Rank

Chat Prince

Wed Mar 22, 2006 6:43 pm

D.C. Metro Area - Maryland

by James Roscoe » Thu Apr 26, 2007 1:00 pm

I generally like it as a "Tuesday night" type wine. It's easy on the wallet.
Yes, and how many deaths will it take 'til he knows
That too many people have died?
The answer, my friend, is blowin' in the wind
The answer is blowin' in the wind.
no avatar
User

Steven Noess

Rank

Wine geek

Fri Oct 13, 2006 6:45 pm

Minneapolis, MN USA

by Steven Noess » Thu Apr 26, 2007 3:44 pm

I haven't purchased this wine for a while, but I really do like it as well, especially for the price. I am a big fan of Southern Rhone wines, and with the GSM blend in "stump jump," it offers that combination, but with a little more glycerol pizazz that seems consistent with many Australian reds that I've had. I think it's a perfect match with pizza or a night of burgers on the grill. Plus, it seems to appeal to almost everybody so it's a perfect choice for me when sharing with friends who don't appreciate the earthy subtleties of a true Rhone GSM.